Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

2011 Prius - Shake, rattle and roll - well mainly rattle.

Anyone else with a 2011 Prius with a rattly interior ? Mrs A's 4K old model seems like a lot of the inside is coming loose, especially inside the dash. Any tips on where these could be coming from ?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

F8L's 2012 Prius - '12 Toyota Prius Three with Solar Roof
90 day: 62.14 mpg (US)
I don't usually like to link to other forums but there is a long thread on Priuschat (Geniii main forum) with a few different fixes depending on where your rattle is coming from. I think the most common location is the glove box. Most fixes include adding a layer of felt between panels.

I don't have a geniii or else I'd better describe the fix for you. At least I know it can be done.
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...t-version.html
2012 Prius Three with Solar Roof - Blizzard Pearl w/dark gray interior: Prius Plug-In 15" Wheels | Michelin Energy Saver A/S 195/65/15 tires | TRD Lowering Springs | WeatherTech FloorLiners | Scangauge II | Morimoto/DDM HIDs 5000K | Clazzio Leather Seat Covers | Best Tank: 71.7mpg@702miles | Best Trip: 95.9mpg@233miles
The Following User Says Thank You to F8L For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (11-08-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
If it's rattling take it to the dealer for service! Don't try to Do it yourself. until you've addressed it through the dealer. If other owners are having issues then it's most likely addressed in the dealer.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 11-08-2011, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSellsAustin View Post
If it's rattling take it to the dealer for service! Don't try to Do it yourself. until you've addressed it through the dealer. If other owners are having issues then it's most likely addressed in the dealer.
I have been telling Mrs A that every time she moans about it, but she wants me to see what I can do as we have no spare days to take it in at the moment

Also not impressed with Toyota dealers generally so far.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I have been telling Mrs A that every time she moans about it, but she wants me to see what I can do as we have no spare days to take it in at the moment

Also not impressed with Toyota dealers generally so far.
Hold out for the Dealer- they'll muller your warrenty if any signs of the dash being disassembled!

as for hating toyota dealers..bad luck-you've got two!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.

Nothing would surprise me with the dealers - the two near us are actually the same group.

Anyway its a lease car, so they can argue with the fleet company over any warranty issues.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

Thanks to the linked posting above, I added some thin rubber feet to the tailgate buffers, the centre console "bridge" and to the exsting rubber buffers behind the upper and lower glovebox doors - much quieter now. The one remaining rattle is from inside the dash behind the steering wheel - I suspect something which should be clipped or insulated inside is loose and not covered.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
F8L
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks for your update. I now have a 2012 GenIII and at 30k miles and am developing those same rattles. I took out my glove box and some went away but the one behind the steering wheel is obvious as are the hatch area rattles. Ugg
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
The PRC.

@F8L - the little rubber feet idea is a good one. I got double sided tape and a cheap floor mat (soft rubber) from Costco. A pair of scissors and 30 mins work has removed the rear end ones.

Firstly check the catch, if you can adjust it "down" then do so, this makes closing the hatch harder but it does lock it more securely against the existing buffers so the rattle goes. Careful though, adjusting it too far means the "slam" is too hard and the rear won't latch properly. I had to leave mine loose as Mrs A has to close it and has less strength / anger about it all To solve this add some extra rubber to the existing buffers. Eventually this will drop off so you will have to renew it. There are 2 buffers (I think) on each side.

After that the next one is the ridiculously idiotic design of the under floor storage tray in the boot (trunk) - insert loads of buffing in there. Bash your fist firmly against the boot floor to detect rattle areas and pad them out. For best results empty everything from here and add them back one at a time and repeat the thump test padding as you go.

While you are there check if the boot cover is secure at both ends (even the dealers don't know how to fix it properly) and the rear seats if you have folded them at any point.

The glove box is a notorious rattle area - seriously these interior designers are morons. Small buffers inside the lower and upper lid to hold the door "in tension" against the catch does it - there doesn't seem to be any adjustment, I've had mine in pieces to check.

The rattle in the centre console is also annoying. I think there is a relationship between the seat position (front to rear) and the buzzing that comes out but I haven't pinned it down yet. I have forced the rear of the "bridge" element up and pushed small rubber pieces between it and the console between the seats which seems to help. A piece of cloth between the seat and the console (try both sides) will often remove the rattle there too but it will return at some point for no reason.

Also check the cup holder / cover section.

The rattle behind the steering wheel is impossible to get at as far as I can see, if you manage it post some photos. I suspect some wiring is rattling against the console when cold which is what was happening in my Fabia. In that car I too out the radio and repositioned some foam behind and it went away.

I've driven cheaper Toyota models (e.g. Auris and even my Aygo) and they rattle far less than this. For a car costing the equivalent of a decent BMW or Merc here they need to do a lot better - Mrs A is not considering one for it's replacement at all.

EDIT - and the dealers don't think it is a problem. Muppets.