Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2016 Corolla LE ECO

I just got the car and I love it. CVT transmission and EPA highway of 42. I'm wanting an average of 50 mpg as my goal. I'm not sure how to Eco mod it in any way. Idk anything about lean burn or what aero dynamic thing I could do to it. It did come stock with the belly pans all under it. Really nicely done I must say. I was thinking of doing some sort of cam back but idk how I could do it and not effect my rear view mirror's view angles. I did take the resonator off the air box and what a pain that was to get off. I can actually hear the engine now and it goes up hills easier for some reason compaired to before on the same road with cruise control on. Any ideas with explanation for the noob would be more than appreciated.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Done all that but the grill block. Is the grill block to raise engine temp or to help aero dynamic?
Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok. Will do. I can probably work something out with some coroplast or abs sheets. I have a cnc cutter that can precisely cut it for me. Anything else I should try? I'm too chicken to try the engine off coasting but I put it in neutral going down hill and when I anticipate a stop. That does help some. I keep the tires at sidewall max of 51 psi. I keep the cruise control at 60 mph on the highway and at 40 mph on surface streets. I'm really looking for aero mods or engine mods or even computer mods to help the mpg.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
We've got some modifications you can do here...

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

And some tips here...

100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

But the utmost important is real instrumentation. I prefer the Scan Gauge (which can be had here, for a discount) or the Ultra Gauge. I use both, and just for readouts, the UG is better- but for testing, and all around use, I love the SG.

When you have one of those, you can see what is better. For example, it may be better to keep in gear and DFCO than to use Neutral. You'll have to test and see!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

My car actually has the instrumentation built into it and I've tested it against other plug in gauges and they're accurate enough for me. It has instant and then I go for the odometer and how many gallons for the tank average and it has built in average mpg. It even saves per every few minutes to show a graph of my driving for the time the ignition is on and off. Quite cool I must say. I've read through those and I've applied what I think I can from them. I'm just trying to see what a cam back would require to be effective and would it block my line of sight.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
I would not recommend turning off the engine while rolling on a CVT transmission, you will burn it up. Same goes for pulling it out of gear when rolling and putting it back in gear. Very stressful on the entire drive train.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It seems to handle it fine. It is covered in the warranty so I'm too worried about that. It felt more stressful when I would pull my Scion tC out of gear and put it back in. That was a 6 speed full gear transmission.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Ah, well sounds like you're all set! Best of luck!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Your Valvematic engine probably has one of the lowest idle fuel consumption of almost any car out there, comparable to a 1L Geo Metro or Insight (if you would kindly buy a 10 dollar OBDII bluetooth adapter and measure for us that would be nice ), try leaving it in neutral while you coast.

I would like to drive a Scion iM (has a 6 speed manual with the 2ZR-FAE engine) to see what the high tech valvetrain is like.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-21-2016 at 01:53 AM..
Old 04-21-2016, 02:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'll look into that. I've wanted to get one of those but I'm not sure what app would give reliable data or which device would either. I have been keeping it in neutral when I coast. If I don't it wants to try and down shift and slows me down with light engine braking. Sport mode has medium engine braking and then there's a B mode that has the heaviest engine braking of all and it's kinda scary when it kicks in if you're not expecting it. It's kinda compareable to my Burgman 650 scooter in the heavy engine braking. It coasts farther than the Scion tC did in neutral too. I was thinking about trying to set the idle to idle lower like at 800 or 750 instead of 1000 like it wants to. I was also thinking of putting a K&N drop in filter in it too. I did that with my Scion tC and it did help for 1 or 2 mpg and I could actually hear the engine. Just taking the air resonator off the air intake helped the mpg a ton and I can hear the engine slightly compaired to none. Could this engine be tuned to lean burn? Could that hurt the engine lowering the idle or tuning it to burn lean?

Reply  Post New Thread