Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
The car's computer is almost never totally right. Its always best to calculate by hand.

As for the grill block, there are a million examples here on the site. It really depends what your current grill looks like.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Idk what aero mods I could do? Is it hard to do a belly pan and not drill into the car or damage it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	19457  
Old 01-15-2016, 05:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So, would doing a more open exhaust, kn air filter, and belly pan pretty much be all I could do to the car? I don't see me needing a full cold air intake for "power". And I can't find just a simple short ram intake so maybe just the k&n? Idk. Would taking the air box out entirely and just putting on a cone filter work better? I'm just thinking more air, better engine breathing. Could someone give me pointers for the belly pan? I'm having a hard time finding a way to connect it to the car without permanent damage to the car. I want something like zip ties or something easily removed. It's a lease at the moment.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
For mod ideas, I'd really suggest sticking to the 65+ mods that we know work, unless you're a real experienced car/engine/aero guy. If one simply implements a handful of these mods you're pretty much guaranteed some decent gains. Note, K&N filters and cold intakes are not on the list. Warm air intakes are however. Exhaust could be, but its quite expensive and probably not worth the cost as you'll never recoup it in gas savings.

If I were you with a new leased car, I'd be looking at:
1) scangauge or similar
2) air up the tires
3) grill block
4) air dam

I'd also start a garage entry and fuel log to track my progress.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...but, FIRST do a thorough "base-line" fuel economy analyses -- then -- systematically perform A-B-A tests of each of the above items 2-thru-4 to quantify how much BETTER than the "base-line" you're able to achieve using each technique. The final, cumulative results will amaze you.
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (01-15-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok. So I guess I've done my first "mods". I removed the snorkel from the air box, and put cardboard infront of the radiator. It covers most of the radiator but left some uncovered simply from being worried about damaging anything. It really shouldn't since it's cold out but who knows. Since I've now taken the wind off of the radiator, does that do the same as a grill block?
Old 01-17-2016, 03:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Use some air intake measuring device to ensure the air intake and general under hood temperature does not get out of hand.
When I removed the snorkel combined with a lower grill block it rose to above 50 degrees Celsius (128 Fahrenheid) and I saw the instant economy drop. But my car has EGR; some cars without EGR seem to tolerate much higher intake temps to good benefit.

The grill block causes less fluctuations than the snorkel delete, so my snorkel is back on to stay there.

Before I had my UltraGauge I used a cheap digital in/out thermometer with the out feeler in the airbox. Worked fine except I could not read it at night.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I'd read around here- people always innovate and do crafty things I'd never think of. Underbody is simple if you make if simple- tire spats as well, that's my next project.

I infer this is an auto by the "neutral" term being used- often it is more efficient to DFCO than sit in neutral, it also saves brake wear. The SCii will give you tons of insight into how the car performs, and what you can do to use the least fuel while meeting your other goals. I have used a full upper and lower grille block for three years with no issues- the dummy gauge never leaned closer to warm than cold, and never passed by personal unsafe zone.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
What kind of mileage are you expecting and what are you getting? The average for tC's on Fuelly is 25-27MPG. If you're getting 34, you're already doing pretty good.

I wouldn't replace a working intake or exhaust (or most parts) in the name of saving money on most vehicles. The mileage improvement is usually small, if there is any.

Along with the others, I highly recommend a Scangauge or Ultragauge. Even more so with the grill block. Watch the intake air temperature and engine temperature to make sure you don't cook anything. It also helps you see how efficient you're driving. You may find out that something you do is actually hurting your mileage. One example is accelerating too slowly. Unless you know you'll have to stop soon, accelerating a little quicker is usually better.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's a good point on the acceleration. Thank you. I guess since it's my first car and I'm clueless, I just want the best I possibly can get. It really is a game with me. I'm trying to figure out a way to do the underbody. Would using industrial Velcro work? I just want it to stay on there if I want it on there but not damage anything. What about getting a volo meter? I saw that and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it? I am going to try and save up for a scan gauge. Saw some cheap turbo gauges and didn't know if they were any good? And what about a Bluetooth one to my phone perhaps? Any good apps?

Reply  Post New Thread