Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As far as improving the efficiency other than engine mods, I will explore that rout as soon as I hit the goal of 50 MPH.

At this point I cannot make any changes to the formula like external body mods because it would skew the results.

The car dose have the rear wiper delete and is running 40 psi in the tires. I have been monitoring under hood temperatures during this whole process and it looks like I can block part of the grill. This car was originally equipped with underbody panels but they were removed. I still have them and they will go back on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fujioko For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-08-2020), freebeard (10-08-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'll have to check out the previous videos in the series, but at your tested speeds, it seems the 2.4L guzzler I have in my Insight uses very roughly the same amount of fuel as a harbor freight lawnmower engine.

I'm willing to bet had you used a Honda mower engine, you'd have had a few more mpg.
LOL, Personally I was amazed with the results, the 'lawnmower' engine is running full throttle the whole time. No room for special techniques... just flat out foot to the floor. I'll have to check out your 2.4 guzzler, sounds awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to fujioko For This Useful Post:
Ecky (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Displacement alone won't be so much of a deal breaker, what really defines if an engine is effective or not for a purpose is the power/torque curve. Maybe a 250cc motorcycle could even be a reasonable option if you were looking into an extreme downsizing which could still provide an acceptable overall performance.

Doing some math, many of those stationary engines within this displacement range would underperform some 125 to 150cc motorcycle engines coupled to a reduction gear in order to match the RPM input to a transmission. Well, what about experiencing a turbo into the 420cc engine?
Right now I'm committed to using the 212cc and the 420cc engines because how ridiculous the concept is. Its for youtube channel building and gaining viewers.

Once I finish with the stationary engines then it will be on to other engines.

I do have a lot of experience with Megasquirt and engine tuning so I'm also toying with the idea of fuel injecting the 420.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fujioko View Post
Right now I'm committed to using the 212cc and the 420cc engines because how ridiculous the concept is. Its for youtube channel building and gaining viewers.
Even though you qualify such concept as "ridiculous", and doing it mostly for entertainment purposes, the idea behind this and other extreme downsizing approaches doesn't seem so bad considering other purposes with a serious and mostly utilitarian approach.

Quote:
I do have a lot of experience with Megasquirt and engine tuning so I'm also toying with the idea of fuel injecting the 420.
Now that would be cool.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Even though you qualify such concept as "ridiculous", and doing it mostly for entertainment purposes, the idea behind this and other extreme downsizing approaches doesn't seem so bad considering other purposes with a serious and mostly utilitarian approach.

Now that would be cool.
Originally the video series was to be about modifying the Predator engines for more power. I picked the Honda Insight as a base for proving the engine mods do work. The car also was to be used to bring in a bigger audience because of the unusual aspect of the project. I like to use the word ridiculous to describe what I'm doing because some of the audience views it that way.

It will be interesting to see where this video series goes in the future.
Ecky (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
Any idea of the reliability or longevity of these engines after modification, and under this kind of duty cycle?
Old 10-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Any idea of the reliability or longevity of these engines after modification, and under this kind of duty cycle?
I imagine its a lot like boat motors. You would need to tune them down on power output (vs the car versions) since you're running them at WOT 95% of the time. But these things are tuned down already so I'm not sure if it would be a bad thing for the stock motor.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Been my experiences that cooling issues rear their ugly head and are responsible for the failure of some modified engines. If he can keep it cool, should work out
Old 10-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Been my experiences that cooling issues rear their ugly head and are responsible for the failure of some modified engines. If he can keep it cool, should work out
I can't wait to see him throw in a factory stock 20 hp motor. I would honestly get a kick out of a car like that that is able to maintain 70 mph on occasion and to see how many miles he got out of the thing before it blew up. lol

Honestly a kubota diesel or a Honda v-twin would be sweet to watch. Just need some more viewers to cash flow the project.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
The car has almost 400 miles on it since it was finished. The first engine that was used was an older model Predator 212. This engine saw about 60 miles and was still running strong when it was removed. Basically I used that engine to set up all the systems in the car.

The second engine was brand new when it was put in the car. This engine has since endured about 40 dyno runs and has a little over 300 miles on it. The engine overheated once and has been subjected to over revving countless times. It still runs strong, but I'm going to retire it.

The car is now being fitted with another engine. This engine was a low hour engine and was my spare. Even though this engine is virtually brand new it is being rebuilt with stronger internal parts. I suspect this finial version of the 212cc engine will be a strong runner and be nearly indestructible.

So far the engines have been very reliable, but I have no idea what the life span is.

Ecky (10-11-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread