Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Omaha Nebraska area
Posts: 271

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead...however...college roommates dad had a 2005 ram diesel with the full banks treatment and he avereged 25-27 MPG. to me 30+ in an excursion is entirely plausable.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
EV convert
 
oil pan 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NewMexico (USA)
Posts: 7,333

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 124.63 mpg (US)
Thanks: 174
Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,728 Posts
You also get about a +2mpg advantage being down close to sea level.
__________________
1984 chevy suburban, custom made 6.5L diesel turbocharged with a Garrett T76 and Holset HE351VE, 22:1 compression 13psi of intercooled boost.
1989 firebird mostly stock. Aside from the 6-speed manual trans, corvette gen 5 front brakes, 1LE drive shaft, 4th Gen disc brake fbody rear end.
2011 leaf SL, white, portable 240v CHAdeMO, trailer hitch, new batt as of 2014.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
justme1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ff
Posts: 459
Thanks: 59
Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Ancient news here but I live here and commute I10 daily.
If economy is from Tx to Fla I can believe it because west winds fight me home just about every day and were not always talking about 15 - 20 either.
It can make my car drive like.. well taking up the whole lane.
The kicker is adding a sea breeze to that also.
Without the winds I doubt it alot but wont deny what I dont understand fully.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Citrus Heights
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about a 2005?

Hello.

Impressed to say the least.

I am wanting to get an 05 diesel (or 06 production 05 if I can find one).

What would the suggestions be to replicate this scenario for an 05?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Broke mekanic
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Poplar bluff mo
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I might have overlooked it but is this hand calculated mpg? My tuned 2wd cummins shows 25 plus at 70 on the overhead but only gets 22.3 when I do the math.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 23
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaboy View Post
Hello.

Impressed to say the least.

I am wanting to get an 05 diesel (or 06 production 05 if I can find one).

What would the suggestions be to replicate this scenario for an 05?
The 6.0 has a radically different engine and drivetrain compared to the 7.3s. So the tips and tricks are quite a bit different. There is a lot that can be done by simply deleting the EGR system and adding a good quality tuner. Anything to help air in and exhaust (all the things that typically make more power) can also can help to improve economy when combined with conservative driving habits. The best advise I can offer is to research which mods may give you the best bang for the buck and then go fourth and experiment. Economy was not my primary focus when this project started. So, luck had a lot to do with the end result.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 23
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgetech79 View Post
I might have overlooked it but is this hand calculated mpg? My tuned 2wd cummins shows 25 plus at 70 on the overhead but only gets 22.3 when I do the math.
Yes. See my later response on the previous page.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #28 (permalink)
(:
 
Frank Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: up north
Posts: 12,488

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,481
Thanked 3,260 Times in 2,061 Posts
A fuel log would be helpful.
__________________


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Broke mekanic
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Poplar bluff mo
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGuru View Post
The 6.0 has a radically different engine and drivetrain compared to the 7.3s. So the tips and tricks are quite a bit different. There is a lot that can be done by simply deleting the EGR system and adding a good quality tuner. Anything to help air in and exhaust (all the things that typically make more power) can also can help to improve economy when combined with conservative driving habits. The best advise I can offer is to research which mods may give you the best bang for the buck and then go fourth and experiment. Economy was not my primary focus when this project started. So, luck had a lot to do with the end result.
Both engines are heui design, oil pump is in a different location. There are some difference but a lot is just the emissions crap
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 23
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgetech79 View Post
Both engines are heui design, oil pump is in a different location. There are some difference but a lot is just the emissions crap
Ah yes, I was thinking more along the lines of the 6.4L...

I don't miss the emissions gear, that's for sure. We deleted the Glow Plug Control Module after it burned up the second UVC harness. The EX is now mostly Super Duty under the hood after installing an F250 harness and ECM. I have some ideas of why, but still think it was a bad idea for Ford to run the GPs all the time without beefing up the gauge wire they used...

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: Rebuilding an '01 Honda Insight as a nonhybrid Fabio Hybrids 158 01-12-2013 11:59 AM
SGII first observations! gone-ot Success Stories 10 04-02-2010 01:26 AM
New 74.2 mpg ford focus econetic suspectnumber961 EcoModding Central 4 12-06-2009 05:26 AM
Highest MPG 4x4 RV Ever Flying Tortoise EcoModding Central 14 09-11-2009 10:57 PM
Video: prototype Ford F-150 plug-in hybrid - 41 mpg MetroMPG Hybrids 2 07-29-2008 12:36 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com