Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
... I picked a pump at one of the cheapest stations in the area, and I always go to that pump on a nearly bone dry tank, always pump at the slowest steady fill rate, and always stop filling at the first click. Best we can do to reduce data noise with crude equipment.
That's Ed Zachary what I do. If someone is using that pump, I'll park (and shut down) and wait for that pump. That's about the best we can do for consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Very nice numbers! My wife and I were considering a CX-5 a few months back and the salesman said his wife has one and gets upper 30s-40 on the highway. I was really skeptical, but I guess its possible if you keep the speed reasonable. If only they were a few years older, we just couldn't justify getting a car several times the value of our Prius that gets lower mileage.

In my Prius, I just fill slowly until it clicks because overfilling can be even more costly than other cars (evap recovery system and a rubber bladder that's supposed to further reduce evap emissions). All my other cars were two clicks after the first. Individual tanks might not be super accurate, but it all works out the same in the long run.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Yeah, I agree with keeping the Prius. They are brilliant cars. I like the less is more and handling dynamics if the Mazda, but wouldn't mind a little hybrid boost for added torque at takeoff as long as its executed well. I traded a VW so that was much easier to make that choice.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I love the CX 5. One day, one day. (Subscribed)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

eco-crx - '90 honda crx hf
Team Honda
90 day: 56.89 mpg (US)
Pretty amazing you were able to get 40+ MPG out of a newer SUV,that alone has my respect.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
It's crazy, right! When my wife's automatic was getting 31-35 with typical driving l knew we had something to work with based on what folks were doing with gasers here. It was hard to tell if any modified driving behavior was working on the Jetta becuase it could be better from fuel or worn tires or warmer ambient temps. That's why the huge change in mileage from wheel covers got my attention. I had to try that but it was'nt wife approved mod on her vehicle. Now that I've got my pic hosting site reestablished I can get some eye candy posted here.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
Got it! Six hundred and twelve mile tank getting 38.6 MPG mixed driving. I just passed 3k miles total. I've filled out some stuff in the mileage log. How do I get it to show at the bottom of my posts? I had the notion to swap tires with my wife's vehicle, since she travels a lot more than me and she has 35k on her tires heading toward winter. They are showing appreciable wear. I really like the ride on these tires even at 48 psi. I'm not sure I can find better in this size. I tend toward Mich MXV4 for mileage and wet traction,but they get harsh as they age with any descent psi pressures.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ka...6293-wheel.jpg
http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ka...e6291-duel.jpg

Last edited by kafer65; 07-28-2014 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: adjust data
Old 08-14-2014, 12:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
I just traded my new tires for my wife's tires with 40k on them. She had a nasty object (metal raptor claw?) imbedded in the tread of one that needed a plug so I made it my problem by switching. All of the tires are the same size, make and model of tire, just older and more worn. I wonder if my actual mileage go up or down?

To calculate the average smaller circumference of the worn tires I need to figure out how the car gets that information. Is it through the tranny like an automatic or is it through ABS speed sensors like it does to measure a low tire? It will be fun to see how it does with the older tires without the wheel disks on it. Less unsprung weight and shorter gearing will help me accelerate anyway

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 08-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
...To calculate the average smaller circumference of the worn tires I need to figure out how the car gets that information. Is it through the tranny like an automatic or is it through ABS speed sensors like it does to measure a low tire? ...
In my manual car it is a speed sensor with a small gear embedded in the transmission and connected to a speedo gear on the differential.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
Quote:
In my manual car it is a speed sensor with a small gear embedded in the transmission and connected to a speedo gear on the differential.
That makes pretty good sense. I figure about 4% difference in circumference from tread loss up front should net me 2 mpg improvement in indicated mpg with no other variables taken into account like lower stance and more leverage for the engine to accelerate. We'll see how that goes

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Reply  Post New Thread