Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafer65 View Post
... I figure about 4% difference in circumference ...
Is that possible when most tread depth on all season car tires is maybe a little under a third of one inch when new?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Yeah, your right! I took too much off the radius before I squared it. It should be more like 2.5% assuming loss of 6/32 of tread (IF I got it right this time).

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Old 08-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
The skyactive engines use piston and timing tech to run 87 octane and vary timing atkinson style to vary compression from 6-13:1 in USA.
I know engines vary ignition timing based on knock sensors, I didnt think they could change the compression ratio though. That would be a good trick if it can.

Is this real or just a mistake?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Static compression ratio is set by piston displacement and combustion chamber volume. It can't be changed without replacing or modifying parts.
However....
Varying the valve timing can vary the effective compression (and expansion) ratios considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt36415 View Post
I know engines vary ignition timing based on knock sensors, I didnt think they could change the compression ratio though. That would be a good trick if it can.

Is this real or just a mistake?
All engines nowadays have 40+ degrees of adjustment on the cams so you can vary volumetric efficiency by quite a lot, the compression ratio does not change.

However this technique is limited, you cannot dial the intake cam back past a certain point without incurring losses from the piston pulling down against a closed valve. It's highly unlikely that this engine is capable of achieving 50% volumetric efficiency, because its compression ratio is too high to use internal EGR to allow this.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
l just managed to get dash indicated 43 mpg on our weekend trip to Dollywood. That was nearly the same conditions as the 42 mpg run. Same station filled up and 60 miles of city driving before the highway run with whole family aboard. Clear 75-85 degree temps but with long deep local hills. DWL and pulsing AC and using AC to help with engine braking. That was 350 miles total and now I'm trying to hold on to that to finish out the tank on my commutes. Mazda notes that it uses 4-2-1 exhaust header to keep hot EGR from pulsing back into the engine as one strategy. Mazda used an Adkinson/Miller cycle engine 2.5 V6 in the Millinea about a decade ago. Using injected air at the last instance to achieve compression. Couldn't you vary the amount you inject to get VCR?

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!

Last edited by kafer65; 08-18-2014 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
I just bested myself again! I broke 47 mpg yesterday on the first 155 miles on a fresh tank. Firstly, I'm getting better at DWL and I seem to be able to do a reset on my mileage by letting off of the throttle and gently reapplying to attain a target mpg as I'm driving. Second, I got lost in a congested area with lots of short steep hills which limited my top speed average to a max of 55 mph but mostly 30-40. I still used AC pulsing.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Valerie - '03 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
I just bested myself again! I broke 47 mpg yesterday on the first 155 miles on a fresh tank. Firstly, I'm getting better at DWL and I seem to be able to do a reset on my mileage by letting off of the throttle and gently reapplying to attain a target mpg as I'm driving. Second, I got lost in a congested area with lots of short steep hills which limited my top speed average to a max of 55 mph but mostly 30-40. I still used AC pulsing.
WHAT?!! That's awesome! Thats basically the milage that I've been getting in my civic. I'm so pissed off now. Thanks a lot!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Team Mazda
Well, if it helps you feel better, just think of it as a civic with a lift kit and belly pan I'm encouraged that if I kammed the back I could hit 45 mpg at higher speeds due to longer glides. Off with the side mirror! Just need to find the will to start fiddling with the door panels on a new car.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bullet - '15 Mazda 6 iTouring
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.42 mpg (US)
Thanks for posting, kafer! I am slowly learning to drive my Mazda better and creeping up on 40mpg, car is now sitting with 40.1 average after a fill up yesterday on the way home from work and back this morning. My Mazda 6 has the 2.5L in it with 6 speed manual. I LOVE this car so far!!!! Have a little over 2,000 miles on it.

Reply  Post New Thread