Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #121 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

Honda - '05 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 27.16 mpg (US)

Insight - '00 Honda Insight w A/C
90 day: 66.55 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Istas
QuickLTD: missed your post earlier, sorry. My hosts did not notice the gas smell so severe until just today when I filled the gas tank, right near the house. All other times I filled it 50 miles away down near Missoula, so that makes me think it's likely (hopefully) near the top of the tank, whatever the problem is. That makes it easier to patch, or deal with if I can't get it fixed just now.

I've driven quite a distance with a leak in the pressurized fuel delivery line before, I'm willing to drive across the country with a measly leak-that-i-can-mostly-avoid-by-not-filling-the-tank-all-the-way, until I can get it sealed.

I'm not a welder for sure, I wouldn't try that. And because of the location at all, and especially because I don't have a lift, I'm not going to try patching it myself. I need a mechanic with a lift to put it up for me and I'm probably going to need to pay them to take it off too if I'm using their lift (I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting me working on my car while it's on their lift). I'd probably prefer it too, it takes me a lot of deliberation and planning and stress to do something as major as that the first time.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 AM   #122 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

Here's the picture of the result. You can see that the strongest conclusion is that there's turbulence, but I can get an idea of the direction of airflow by taking the approximate average of where the paint is, and it is out towards the side of the car a bit. In fact it looks almost in line with the angle of the side edge of the airdam.

Since my departure's delayed, I might mess around with coming up with some wheel deflectors tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:58 PM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
elegant test technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istas View Post

Here's the picture of the result. You can see that the strongest conclusion is that there's turbulence, but I can get an idea of the direction of airflow by taking the approximate average of where the paint is, and it is out towards the side of the car a bit. In fact it looks almost in line with the angle of the side edge of the airdam.

Since my departure's delayed, I might mess around with coming up with some wheel deflectors tomorrow.
Istas,the wet paint tattle-tell technique I love.The tufts tell you exactly where they've been.Good one!------- Bye the way,looking at your tires,the three solid quiet-bands on the tread are probably costing you some mpg.------- When it's time for new rubber,check the other forums for LRR tires on the market.I think you could score some savings there.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #124 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

Thank you! It would've been nicer with less turbulence and a more clear result, but it works still.

I've got my next tires picked out already: Sumitomo HTR T4's, in a size 175/70R14, and they're 51 PSI max. Stock tires on this car are 185/70R14. 175/70R14 seems to be about as narrow as I can get on 14" rims while still getting all-seasons (and not reducing the sidewall/width ratio, which would in effect reduce my gearing).
Old 06-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #125 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Hmm, you might need four touring tires to hit your 42mpg goal. I'm planning on having a set of touring tires and a set of snows for the Insight.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #126 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

Got a diagnosis; the gas is leaking from around the place where the fuel filler neck connects to the tank. The guy working on it doesn't really want to do welding on the gas tank (I can't imagine why, heh heh), so I'll be calling used auto parts places tomorrow to see what they're asking for a used tank.

Bringing the car to the mechanic guy gave me an excuse to be near Missoula, so I also picked up some tools of the trade.

The black foam is pipe insulation. It's a bit more than 1.25" for the outside diameter, and it's already split down the side. It's hollow on the inside but the open area is small enough, and the foam is thick enough, and it's already an arch shape, that I think it will be able to resist being pushed in by the modest air pressure at the front. It has adhesive down the sides of the split, but it's easy enough to pull off so I can replace it with something like Goop.

I also got Gorilla Tape for making turbulators for the A-pillars and top of the windshield (and maybe other places too), and it will be useful as tape too I imagine. And I also got some clear caulk so I can seal some areas on Car without it looking like I caulked them.

I hope I find a tank for not too much money.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #127 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
Is it rusted out? Maybe you can get lucky and just replace the rubber donut the seals the filler to the tank
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #128 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

From what he told me, the filler neck itself is fine, it's the metal around where the neck connects that's corroded, not a seal. I don't know though, I wasn't there, though I trust his judgement on the matter.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
understood. If he said the metal is corroded then thats that. As you already know.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #130 (permalink)
is not covered in bees.

I think I may have found a suitable replacement gas tank, from this place:

http://www.spaldings.com/

Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

Reply  Post New Thread