Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fiesta - '12 Ford Fiesta SE
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)
1st mod

I finally had some time and found some good material to do a partial grill block. I used the clear plastic cover that is found on 3-ring binders. I found them lying around my house from a while ago, so didn't cost me anything I stapled them together and held the plastic to my car with zip-ties. Behind the front bumper I found loops to tie the ties around (almost as if that was there purpose haha). It took probably about a total of almost an hour, the hardest part was covering the fog lights, there's a deep recession where they go, so I did the best I could with them. When I was done attaching everything to my car i duct taped where the plastic overlapped to make the surface smoother. It was somewhat difficult, it is all held to my car with zip-ties, so there's no tape touching my car, which is nice cuz it would destroy my paint haha.
Here's a picture what the car looks like (not my actual car) I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow to post here. I just covered the bottom opening.

My parents... ugh my parents they don't like me doing these kind of things to my car, not even talk about it! so I have to take it down soon, especially cuz my sister has to take her driving test in my car cuz the van my parents use isn't up to par. This was still good experience for me though, I plan on buying coroplast, probably from home depot, and make a more permanent block.

I just got my Ultragauge yesterday, but I noticed about a 3-5 mpg gain after the mod, which makes me very

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

and now I have to take it down, so says my parents >
Old 05-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbass91 View Post
I finally had some time and found some good material to do a partial grill block. I used the clear plastic cover that is found on 3-ring binders. I found them lying around my house from a while ago, so didn't cost me anything I stapled them together and held the plastic to my car with zip-ties. Behind the front bumper I found loops to tie the ties around (almost as if that was there purpose haha). It took probably about a total of almost an hour, the hardest part was covering the fog lights, there's a deep recession where they go, so I did the best I could with them. When I was done attaching everything to my car i duct taped where the plastic overlapped to make the surface smoother. It was somewhat difficult, it is all held to my car with zip-ties, so there's no tape touching my car, which is nice cuz it would destroy my paint haha.
Here's a picture what the car looks like (not my actual car) I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow to post here. I just covered the bottom opening.

My parents... ugh my parents they don't like me doing these kind of things to my car, not even talk about it! so I have to take it down soon, especially cuz my sister has to take her driving test in my car cuz the van my parents use isn't up to par. This was still good experience for me though, I plan on buying coroplast, probably from home depot, and make a more permanent block.

I just got my Ultragauge yesterday, but I noticed about a 3-5 mpg gain after the mod, which makes me very
I know you're excited about your new venture and boy is it great to enlighten your parents with new information. After all, they've always been the ones teaching US stuff, so it's nice to be able to teach them a thing or two.

Unfortunately, I think you would've had better success in keeping this from them until you could support it with proper mpg data that illustrates the benefits.

Like most "nay-sayers", your parents will respond positively to evidence. If you can prove to your parents, among others, that your efforts are supported by research, they're more likely to understand and possibly even be happy about your modifications.

Ecomodder.com is an EXCELLENT source of aerodynamic research. Use it!!!

good luck!

Last edited by SwamiSalami; 05-03-2011 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: messed up.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Good advice! And from now on I plan on modding, getting results, then showing them. My car may look weird but I'll be saving my precious little money on gas!!
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
A grill block is not weird!

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 05-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've been a parent for over 30 years so I can tell you how my kids would have swayed me. They would have said "I want to turbocharge my car and make it faster and win some street races" Pester me a few times about it and once I'd gotten fed up they say how about I do some things to improve the gas mileage like a little grille block as part of an engineering study.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Yea, no kidding. You'd think they'd be more into saving money than most seem to be. If I only knew then what I know now!!! For starters, I wouldn't have driven an IROC-Z!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Also, Capnbass91, I noticed on your car's description that it "breaks down all the time and sucks the gas".

Once you're better acquainted with conservative driving practice and delicate maneuvering behind the wheel, I think you'll find that your sebring will not only get better mileage, but will also be more reliable and run smoother.

Of course, I don't know your car, however, I DO know that most automobiles respond quite positively to TLC. And, that typically (within the car's constraints) the car's mileage is a direct reflection of how the driver chooses to operate it!

With that said, I took the liberty of scrounging up some cold hard facts for you to chew upon. Remember me mentioning the importance of evidence? On Fuelly.com, there are 46 registered Chrysler Sebrings. Of those, there is literally only 1 that gets worse mileage than that reported by you in YOUR sebring. In fact, many of them averaged in the mid-20s! That's not bad for your car, is it?

Anyway, here's the link: Chrysler Sebring MPG Reports | Fuelly

Remember to consult the list of driving tips on this website and fuelly.com as well. They are great resources that offer exceptional insight into the behaviors that ultimately equal higher mileage!

All the best
Old 05-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macherano View Post
why you are trying to destroy it,
Hahahaha!! What!? And even if my parents don't like this stuff I'm not gonna quit. I'm gonna do SOMETHING to save gas, $60+ a week for gas is outrageous! If I don't mess up the paint and the mods I do are easily removable and beneficial, I'm going to do them, and when I have good solid evidence that what I did saved me money, I will show them the data.

Alrighty, I know I don't drive like some of the people on this website, but I DO practice good driving habits, accelerate slowly from stops, don't slam on the brakes, coast to red lights, etc... Trust me, with gas at $4.20+ per gallon, I'm tryin' hard to save gas.

Before my parents gave me this car, I was driving a 2000 oldsmobile minivan for about a year, never had any problems with it and I wasn't as experienced or careful a driver as I am now. Then I started driving the sebring, used progressively better driving habits and yet ... it gets oil leaks, brakes pad and rotors wear fast and unevenly, had to replace the alternator and a/c compressor, needed new catalytic converter (when my mom first got it about 3-4 years ago), tachometer had to be fixed, water pump had to be replaced, a water hose had to be replaced, and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head. I've put A LOT of money into this car (I go to school and I work part-time, so I don't have much money haha) so I make sure to not abuse it. And now something is up with the idle throttle control valve. Mechanic cleaned it, but check engine light still comes up sometimes. Stuff just LOOOOOVES to go wrong on this car.

My ultraguage says that my average mpg is 17 and that's all city driving, trying hard to raise it.

Thanks for the link! Really cool, informative site!

Last edited by capnbass91; 05-08-2011 at 05:14 PM..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
Sounds like a nightmare!!! You should trade it for a metro!

Reply  Post New Thread