Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
The bug is good. I drive it, but it is occasionally out of commission waiting around for the next controller. Right now it's between controllers, until a couple weeks, when it will be good again. I don't drive it to work, since my work is on the freeway, and I only have 6 batteries in it right now. The transmission works perfectly. The engine is the flaky thing. Frequent valve adjustments and whatever, but that's all gone. I've had no problems with the car at all since I converted it almost 2 years ago.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Well, I think you're the first person to actually tell me to get it.
Oh, you wanted permission? Then heck yeah get it! Parts are very cheap and easily upgradeable (disc brakes, etc.) Electrical system is dead sexy simple. Room for batteries. Very easy to work on. In fact, the main drawbacks (other than that it will crush you in a collision) have to do with the engine, which you're going to pull out.

I would prefer the Karmann Ghia just because of its better aerodynamics, but they're very hard to find and more expensive (and some parts are also hard to find.) The bug is a great choice for a low-cost no-frills conversion.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Oh, you wanted permission? Then heck yeah get it! Parts are very cheap and easily upgradeable (disc brakes, etc.) Electrical system is dead sexy simple. Room for batteries. Very easy to work on. In fact, the main drawbacks (other than that it will crush you in a collision) have to do with the engine, which you're going to pull out.

I would prefer the Karmann Ghia just because of its better aerodynamics, but they're very hard to find and more expensive (and some parts are also hard to find.) The bug is a great choice for a low-cost no-frills conversion.
Thanks Clev! I am unable to make decisions on my own. No, well actually I am. Wait, let me ask my wife, she can tell me if I can make decisions....
Seriously, this is the kind of stuff I need to hear, because I know that parts WERE available, and WERE cheap back in the late 80's; I have no idea what it's like for bugs today. It will need a back seat and seat belts for sure.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Before you buy it, check the heater channels (aka: outer sills). Their known to be a common rust area, and its the only part that holds the outside of the floor to the body. If their good, then get it. If their rusted through, its a lot of work/time/money..
Old 07-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1989 View Post
Before you buy it, check the heater channels (aka: outer sills). Their known to be a common rust area, and its the only part that holds the outside of the floor to the body. If their good, then get it. If their rusted through, its a lot of work/time/money..
True, forgot about that, although I doubt they have to salt the roads very often in Oklahoma.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

So I pulled my trailer (that I paid $75 for iirc) out of the weeds to put the transmission out of the Corolla into to take to the car wash to get all the oil off of when my neighbor came over. He says "you want to sell it?". "Well, not really, I kinda use it a lot". I thought about it for a minute, then I told him "I'll trade you for your Bug!!!!". A little back and forth and we settled on my trailer plus $150 cash for his Bug. So I am the owner of a 1972 VW Bug, or Beetle, or whatever you call those things. Looks like I have about $225 invested. Now I have to find a trailer....
Old 08-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
PaulH

heck ya!!!!! There are only like 4 bolts holding the engine in. you can drop it right down, and slide it under the car if you jack the car up. You can be driving by Monday!
Old 08-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

I'd be happy to be driving it by Tuesday!
I just got home and my neighbor delivered it for me! I just pulled out a couple boxes inside it and they contained: a new generator, a new distributor with cap and rotor, another new cap and rotor, new plug wires, new coil, new master cylinder, new fuel pump, 3 bags of mouldings, new chrome headlight rings, a bunch of little boxes of new parts that I have no idea what they are, etc!!! I'm a happy camper
Old 08-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Another thing I found in the car is a book called "How to Keep Your Volkswagon Alive: a manual of step by step procedures for the compleat idiot".....

Old 08-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
PaulH

That's the book that I bought!!!!! It's perfect and very helpful! Man, that engine is going to be easy to remove. hahaha. Heck ya!