Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
You know Gaud, one of the problems is, most of the things you're talking about here are things we KNOW don't work (for improving mpg). K&N Filters might be awesome filters, but that's not something that improves gas mileage - people here and elsewhere have tried and tried, and it doesn't help (it doesn't hurt, either). Same thing with platinum plugs. Yeah, they last longer and they come on new cars now, but don't contribute to better gas mileage. Same thing with all types of vaporizer thingys.

Then with your short distances and small fill amounts, that is just begging for inaccuracies (I'm a retired land surveyor, and I know a couple of things about achieving good accuracies in measurements).

Telling us you know it works and have proven it to yourself is all fine & dandy, but at the risk of being insulting, which is not my intent, maybe you're mistaken. ??? I think that's why everyone is asking you for more details. Frankly, you haven't said anything yet that we don't see the potential for gaping holes in.

With this long distance trip you're getting ready to go on, please, go much longer distances between fills, record every fill, and then see what the average is. That should be a much more accurate "read" on how good your car is.

- - - and what's this final "gadget"? Why not tell us? Don't you know that if it was true, and we saw that it was, you'd become our hero? Seriously. What's wrong with that?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
Gaud, here's a list of my "gadgets", :

full grill block
rear wheel skirts
mini kammback
55 & 50 psi tire fill
0w20 Mobil one oil
brake drag redux clips
weight reduction
lower temp thermostat

Black Widow's page also includes my driver mods, and my route mods, both of which have had tremendous results for me, and might help others here should they face the same type of driving conditions I face. I have shared these with everybody here in case they're interested, and detailed the installation of the wheel skirts. I also maintain a fuel log here, and I have kept one on Fuelly.com which tracks the progress of my car since I bought it two years ago. I prove the value of my mods a tank at a time!

I've spent a total of 88.50 and have increased my MPG by 32%

If you have something of value to actually share here, share it! But you don't have a single thing that would interest me at this point, so I'm un-subscrbing!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:55 AM   #83 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Full Disclosure Gadget List

Truck:
Smoothie wheel discs
Vacuum gauge

Car:
Grid charger

That's it. The rest of my mileage is attributed to advanced nut adjustment.

I invested the money, but not until I had done some serious research on what worked and what didn't. The things that got, at best, ambivalent reviews I disregarded. The things that got rave reviews full of extra punctuation and lots of ALL CAPS I determined were mostly the purview of nutjobs, and I avoided those things and others that resembled them.

Money is hard to come by, and time isn't growing on trees either. I don't have enough of either to waste on suggestions made by folks whose advice includes such brilliance as "I do ROLL the DICE and try things, and indeed I've found things that INDEED WORK! HAHAHHAHAHHA!"

Serious people with calm voices and guarded enthusiasm declaimed the advantages of the grid charger. Damned thing was expensive, but the proponents looked like they had been grudgingly convinced by lots of well-documented testing and provable, repeatable results. So I bought one. It's working.

Now, I'm a lazy dude. After I've put in 10 hours at work wrestling with air conditioners, plumbing, small engine repair and then working on re-siding the house, mowing the yard and medicating the cat, for some reason I just don't have the gumption to add some more siding to the car. So while I have aero aspirations for my rides, they are slow to actually manifest. But those are the only kinds of alterations I'm willing to make at this point, because those are the ones that have the most consistently positive, provable, repeatable results.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Here is the heart and soul of scientific rigor:

Researcher: "Here's what I came up with. I checked my work. Now I want YOU guys to do everything you can to disprove it."

The rest of the scientific world: "Okey-dokey."

When your claims can stand up to the combined scrutiny of everyone here, Gaud, then you will be able to take on your superior air. Until such time however, they can only be claims, and worth only the energy it takes to utter them. They are no more than unfounded hype - so you know, "unfounded" means "without foundation," which is to say you are building castles in the air. Castles in the air are fantasies, not facts.

Hype belongs on Perez Hilton's website. Go shout over there.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #85 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Yeah, what elhigh said.
Name-calling and berating others have never been sure-fire ways of winning friends and influencing people. Anywhere. In fact, I've seen that kind of behavior get a few members banned from this site.
Anyone remember doctorm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
Reply  Post New Thread