Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Thanks for the information guys. I checked out that link about the transmissions and that is pretty interesting that it can lock up in most gears and not just high gear. It also does DFCO which is sweet as I know of a few under passes and bridges that are good for coasting down in gear.

And Pete, trust me I really liked the idea of getting an Si but there was no way I could have spent that much money on this particular one. I think it is a fair price for someone who wants a car to fix up and customize, because it definitely needed a lot of work. Which is pretty much the only reason that what he was asking for it was even in my price range to start with. But for me I just wanted something clean and reliable. Now if I could have found an Si as clean as this EX in the same price range it definitely would have been a different story.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No Fun - '10 Honda Civic EX
Sorry to bump a slightly old thread, but I just bought a 2010 EX automatic (sad face when it comes to fun) but per my SGII I've been getting between 39-43 MPG on my 40 mile 75% highway 25% city commute. It's pretty easy to keep it in 5th gear going as slow as 40mph. For the record, at least in my area, it's pretty much impossible to find a manual 8th gen civic in anything but a DX or Si. I wanted four wheel disk brakes and factory alloys, so I settled for an automatic.

Last edited by anthony; 05-09-2013 at 06:55 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Yeah It was pretty much the same story for me. I really wanted a manual and almost went for an Si, but in retrospect I'm glad that I didn't. The 5 speed automatic works really well too and with DFCO it's pretty comprable to driving a manual as far as fuel savings go. I can't wait to see what my tank average is going to be on this next tank. Traffic still stinks but I have been driving much more efficently than I did through the first tank. The first tank that I ran through the car the mileage was very low as I was pushing the car hard to make sure it was working properly and to find it's limits. Not to mention a lot of idling as I checked over... well everything. But so far as of this morning I have driven the same number of miles that I did when I filled up last time but I still have around a third of a tank of gas left, so it's looking very promising.

Oh and not to get too far off subject but I just sold the Bravada a couple weeks ago. Part of me is going to miss it, but the rest is just glad to see it go.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

No Fun - '10 Honda Civic EX
I have no idea what I am actually getting, but once this tank is empty (trying to get out any possibly old gas, it did sit on a dealer lot for 35 days), I'll fill it up and compare my SG readings to what the pump says. I am really hoping I can pull off 40mpg.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

That car will save you so much in gas compared to the si, imagine having to keep pumping premium compare to regular. Right now I'm glad I got rid of the em1. It was a fun car, b20 high compression with b16 gearing. The problem was the gearing, I was only able to squeeze 28 mpg highway. I now drive a 4dr sedan that gets 28 city and an amazing 40+ highway. I kid you not. Saving in gas is just a sigh of relief for me. I do have problems here and there with the car but its nothing I can't handle. I'm getting ready to replace the tranny with one built by synchrotech and a torque converter from jmo. The torque converter is suppose to help me lower my revs but we will see. They are known so I'm not too worried.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
6 speed, 8th gen civic, civic ex, civic si