Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicMPG View Post
... to get a better understanding of what my car does normally, this tank I am just going to drive "normal" without being conscious of trying to save gas and increase mpg, and see what it would get "normally", and then I can get a better idea of how my personal driving is improving upon it and go from there.
Good idea, though the ongoing stalling indicates a problem that could be depressing your MPG numbers. Gotta get that sorted-out before you can be fully confident that you know what normal performance really is. Also, when you refuel, the best way to ensure relatively accurate numbers is to use the same pump at the same station, fueling the car at the slowest automatic speed and always stopping on the first "click." No topping off. This eliminates pumping variations that can skew your MPG calcs.

Quote:
On a side note from that, the car did die on my going down the road again yesterday after work. I rolled to a stop and it started right back up. it doesn't run rough or have any hicups, it just died. Anyone have any ideas?
This is possibly going to be a PITA to sort out... I would need quite a bit f trouble-shooting time. Maybe there is an open in a wire that intermittently fails. But if it is not setting off a CEL, then it could be something kinda obscure, like a failure in the distributor of some kind. I had an ignition coil problem that took a while to identify... I thought it was the MAP, then the fuel pump, and ultimately it was the coil, but only once the whole engine had gotten good and hot for a 25 minute drive, then the coil would expand in the heat and fail. Felt really good when I finally identified it.

"Test, don't guess." The factory service manual will have trouble shooting flow charts... Good luck!!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I don't remember if stalling is one of the symptoms of a failing main relay, but it's a common problem on these cars. Cracked solder joints on the relay's circuit board. Easy and free fix. Google it.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fuel filter?
Old 09-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'91 Civic - '91 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
So good news I have verified that the A/C belt is isolated and can just cut it off. Problem is getting to it to cut it off. haha. i'll have to have more time for that.

But on a good note, or rather confusing to a point. I was down to about half a tank again so I filled up and my MPG while driving normal and having some fun with the car, going up to 5k RPM frequently and letting the engine breathe, I just recorded 35mpg. Am I missing something? lol.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
So good news I have verified that the A/C belt is isolated and can just cut it off. Problem is getting to it to cut it off. haha. i'll have to have more time for that.

But on a good note, or rather confusing to a point. I was down to about half a tank again so I filled up and my MPG while driving normal and having some fun with the car, going up to 5k RPM frequently and letting the engine breathe, I just recorded 35mpg. Am I missing something? lol.
Half a tank is just five gallons. Pumping error could account for the difference. Or it could be something related to the intermittent stalling you are experiencing. Or is could be time of day, heat, humidity. ... a quirk in the driving style. There are lots of variables. The results of one half-tank refill are not conclusive. Sounds like you had fun, though. One of the great things about these cars is how much fun they are driving around--and how they go go go even when there are troubles mechanically.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'91 Civic - '91 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Half a tank is just five gallons. Pumping error could account for the difference. Or it could be something related to the intermittent stalling you are experiencing. Or is could be time of day, heat, humidity. ... a quirk in the driving style. There are lots of variables. The results of one half-tank refill are not conclusive. Sounds like you had fun, though. One of the great things about these cars is how much fun they are driving around--and how they go go go even when there are troubles mechanically.
Thanks, should I wait next time and get closer to full tank of gas to get more accurate mpg readings?
Old 09-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #27 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Thanks, should I wait next time and get closer to full tank of gas to get more accurate mpg readings?
I always run down to empty for better accuracy.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 09-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
I find it helps to run through a full tank too especially if I want to compare changes I've made. That way I don't have to wait for it all to average out over several tanks.

Reply  Post New Thread