Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Fit is MPGo!

Blue - '07 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 42.71 mpg (US)

Hot Rod - '84 GMC C1500
Please help me decide quickly. ('99 Accent vs. 89 CRX)

Hey guys, I have been in dire need of a gas sipper immediately since gas has continued to rise. I found a couple of things local that I am going to look at today. I would appreciate any feedback to help sway my decision.

In the blue corner we have a 1999 Hyundai Accent (1.5 liter 4cyl.) 2dr 5 speed with 101k on the clock. Guy said it runs and drives fine, but he has stripped a lot of the interior out of it. He has also installed headers and a full exhaust. It has a 2" drop on the front via new springs and struts. He is asking $950 for it.

In the red corner, we have a 1989 Honda Civic CRX. It is a 1.6 liter 4 cyl. mated to a 5 speed. It is not the HF model. The guy said he put a newer stock motor in it that has about 50k on the clock, but also said that a bearing in the trans was going out and needed to be fixed or replaced. He says the car will run and drive, but the trans makes a high pitch noise. I told him it sounds like a throw out bearing and thats what he thought it was but upon investigation it was not the throw out bearing. He is asking $1000.

I have looked up the fuel economy on both of these vehicles and the Hyundai is a winner by a small MPG margin. I would like all members feedback on this as well.

How hard would it be to just swap that trans in the CRX?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
A rushed purchase is rarely an economically sound purchase. If you can take the time to do the research and wait for a great deal to come along, you will be happier with your decision and will save money.

I don't have experience in a 1989 CRX, but the Accent will have an OBDII port if that matters to you. I'd probably lean newer if it were my decision, especially if the Honda has an unidentified transmission problem.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Fit is MPGo!

Team Honda

Hot Rod - '84 GMC C1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A rushed purchase is rarely an economically sound purchase. If you can take the time to do the research and wait for a great deal to come along, you will be happier with your decision and will save money.

I don't have experience in a 1989 CRX, but the Accent will have an OBDII port if that matters to you. I'd probably lean newer if it were my decision, especially if the Honda has an unidentified transmission problem.
I agree with you completely on the rushed purchase being unwise. I am pretty decent at determining a cars value once I have driven it, and being that I have looked at several over the last few months I don't intend on buying something just because. I am going to look at both, but not necessarily buy either one.

the OBDII port will allow me to change some things about the fuel to air ratio as well as other things yeah?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Trans swap in the crx is a piece of cake. Probably needs a new input shaft and countershaft bearing, also easy to do if somewhat mechanically inclined. I'd go for the crx, although I'm a bit biased. (screen name) With the hf transmission, the crx would get way better mileage than the other car, 40 plus easy with 50/50 driving.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I would go with the Honda as well, mostly because it is going to be a better built car, chaning the transmission takes about 5-7 hours and is not hard, it would take alot less time if you had a lift of course but it's a tiny transmission, I've done two of them and there is nothing weird that you curse at, just unbolts and bolts back in.
Off the top of my head for the CRX I don't know the gear ratio, but you could put a transmission with better ratios in and improve your gas mileage that way, for that sporty feel you would have to down shift of course, but you have that option.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Go Honda. Better parts support, better build, just plain better period. You will not regret it.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Fit is MPGo!

Team Honda

Hot Rod - '84 GMC C1500
thanks for the quick replies guys! I was sitting here contemplating this CRX when I checked craigslist one more time and found a true gem...

I found a running 1980 Volkswagen Rabbit LX pickup with the 1.5 liter diesel mated to a 4 speed stick. I am going to look at it tomorrow!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX:HF - '89 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)

NameGoesHere - '15 Volkswagen Golf TDI SEL

That CRX would be a decent car, that is if this guy knew what he was doing when he screwed with it. About the tranny - They are pretty cheap. An HF Tranny (I would suggest - Higher gear ratios) isn't to bad in price. $250 - $400 bucks. Plus, maintenance is cheap and easy... I love my CRX already.. Haha

Follow me on Twitter. @secsieAzul
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX:HF - '89 Honda CRX HF
90 day: 53.05 mpg (US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I would go with the Honda as well, mostly because it is going to be a better built car, chaning the transmission takes about 5-7 hours and is not hard, it would take alot less time if you had a lift of course but it's a tiny transmission, I've done two of them and there is nothing weird that you curse at, just unbolts and bolts back in.
Off the top of my head for the CRX I don't know the gear ratio, but you could put a transmission with better ratios in and improve your gas mileage that way, for that sporty feel you would have to down shift of course, but you have that option.
As far as my research has gone, The HF tranny is the highest geared ratio tranny, even better than the VX tranny...

Follow me on Twitter. @secsieAzul
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
The OBD2 port would be for a good fuel gauge. I am normally partial to Hondas, but in this case the Hyundai. The exhaust... he chose to do that to a simple little car like this for performance? Any sense of how well chosen the system was? And he dropped only the front 2" or front and back? Nonetheless, seems like the better buy.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread