Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I learned to read well by age 10. Read the Bible and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich at 11. Read my 3rd grade reading book in one night, 385 pages.

Oil painted a clipper ship (from scratch) in a strong wind in the 6th grade. The painting was still on the wall in that classroom 12 years later.

After 6th grade I was more interested in things like cars, warships, and human powered flight. The Kremer prize for the first human powered aircraft was an early obsession of mine. Always fascinated by early machinery and power generation from natural sources.

Never lost a game of trivial pursuit in my life.

I guess it was all preparation for my current obsession, which is to prove the concept of short term energy storage and application in vehicles as well as many other types of energy conversion.

Went to Virginia Tech at 17 with an intended major in Nuclear Physics, left after 5 months. Started working in a body shop and never looked back. Made enough money 3 years later to max out my Social Security contributions at just under 14k per year, the equivalent of close to 100k now.

Most of my teachers after 6th grade just didn't like me, because they knew I was just skating through the curriculum. They did not realize that I was just not interested in any programmed schedule of learning. The pace was boring.

In the 12 th grade I made a bet with another student on who could get a better grade in Analytic Geometry. I won with a 99 average.

I missed one line of calculations in a 4 question test that took 2 pages of calculations. I had the calculation in my head but did not write that single line down. The answer was perfect.

The teacher took off 1o points for the missing line of calculations.

I told her based on the amount deducted from the grade and knowing the missing line had to be correct for the answer to be correct, if I had turned in a blank sheet of paper the grade would have been -300.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #22 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
...based on the amount deducted from the grade and knowing the missing line had to be correct for the answer to be correct, if I had turned in a blank sheet of paper the grade would have been -300.
...moral of the story: "...never piss-off your teacher."

...and, yes, I'm an ex-teacher.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post

I told her based on the amount deducted from the grade and knowing the missing line had to be correct for the answer to be correct, if I had turned in a blank sheet of paper the grade would have been -300.
I can beat that!

Same thing, only Algebra 2. I turned it in, missed a (-) sign. She took 14 points off. I did the math, I would be in the hole 2000 points if I flipped every sign around.

I am one of the smartest people I know, but my grammar is bad and I sometimes don't make sense. So I come across a little dumb sometimes. haha
Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
It's nice to know there are several good minds here on Ecomodder. Just to keep you properly humble, one of my friends has a Ph.D. in Industrial Hygiene, or something like that. He worked a couple of years at Mare Island Naval Shipyard, and hated it. Since then, he's worked for the past 15 years at a preschool, a junk mailing facility, and at Borders Books, all at ~$10/hour. One of the offices I worked in employed a Ph.D. and two Masters Degree recipients, as glassware washers and a fish head grinder/sample delivery man. Smarts may get you in the door. They don't have much correlation with what you make out of that opportunity.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread