Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #121 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit86 View Post
If you google octane booster it is 99% kerosene. Kerosene is similar to diesel. Octane booster calls for 1% to bring up octane rating b 3 points. I ran 30 percent in my discovery, the truck did not like it. At 10% or under it runs nicer, better, does not ping at all.
The science behind blending is quite complex, adding 1% kerosene (which is NOT diesel and NOT oil) is very different than pure Kero or 10% kero.

Much the same as the blending octane of ethanol and gasoline is very different than what would be expected.

The results of kerosene which can be spark ignited in most circumstances is very different from diesel as they are DIFFERENT regardless of what some seem to believe..

Another noteworthy point is some substances can have significant affects on flame front even in very small qtys, the other items in your 99% kero may be important.

Also some motors run better with a faster flame front but a slower vapor rate, which kero may provide in certain circumstances.

I know people who have made their own fuel from #5 plastic in a pyro, the mix actually burns well in some cars as is, this doesn't mean its octane is better or the fuel is superior, it just means it works in certain motors in certain temperatures. Even.

Octane is not a simple number there are many characteristics that get put together to tell us what octane.

In fact modern "gasoline" is made up of very signficant percentages of kerosene, diesel, heavies napathlene and other goodies that weren't in the old 1950's high test, fuel companies know that the blending science is complex and use it to their advantage to make concoctions that act like gasoline while being cheaper.

The trouble with what you are doing is that its hard to say what result you will get

Cheers
Ryan

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #122 (permalink)
Banned

This whole thread needs to be moved into the unicorn area.
Quote:
If you google octane booster it is 99% kerosene.
Show me a credible source that says Kerosene is an octane booster. For that matter show me ANY source for that information. Kerosene just like diesel fuel has very low octane rating, in the 20s. Why don't you google that.
Homebrew Octane Boosters
Quote:
I ran 30 percent in my discovery, the truck did not like it.
Shocking!
Quote:
At 10% or under it runs nicer, better, does not ping at all.
Let us know how the engine rebuild goes.
Quote:
Funny, I had this topic posted 3months ago and the replies were full of nay Sayers who never tried it.
Maybe the 'nay sayers' have something to teach you.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
I said google octane booster, I posted the mods for amsoil 120 octane booster but the site won't let me hotlink. Feel free to copy and paste since obviously google is beyond your capabilities.

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/aob_cob.pdf

The site lists up to 5% parrafin as additives, but if you read through it it is 95-99% kerosene. Thanks for coming out. Material Safety Data Sheet on a off the shelf octane booster, wow imagine that! Maybe the nay Sayers should google stuff before speaking up and shooting everything down, eh? Since you lack the skills to google then anything you say should be moved into the unicorn corral since you obviously don't research anything.

G'day.

And of course to all vehicles will benefit form octane boosters, if a engine was designed for 87 octane it will not run well on 94 octane racing gas, but oa car requiring high octane fuel if you fill up 87 and add the specified amount of octane booster to the tank then you will have the right octane rating.

And where did you get that diesel has a octane rating of 20? That is so far out there are no words to describe it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
This whole thread needs to be moved into the unicorn area.

Show me a credible source that says Kerosene is an octane booster. For that matter show me ANY source for that information. Kerosene just like diesel fuel has very low octane rating, in the 20s. Why don't you google that.
Homebrew Octane Boosters

Shocking!

Let us know how the engine rebuild goes.

Maybe the 'nay sayers' have something to teach you.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #124 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I said google octane booster, I posted the mods for amsoil 120 octane booster but the site won't let me hotlink. Feel free to copy and paste since obviously google is beyond your capabilities.

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/aob_cob.pdf

The site lists up to 5% parrafin as additives, but if you read through it it is 95-99% kerosene. Thanks for coming out. Material Safety Data Sheet on a off the shelf octane booster, wow imagine that! Maybe the nay Sayers should google stuff before speaking up and shooting everything down, eh? Since you lack the skills to google then anything you say should be moved into the unicorn corral since you obviously don't research anything.

G'day.

And of course to all vehicles will benefit form octane boosters, if a engine was designed for 87 octane it will not run well on 94 octane racing gas, but oa car requiring high octane fuel if you fill up 87 and add the specified amount of octane booster to the tank then you will have the right octane rating.

And where did you get that diesel has a octane rating of 20? That is so far out there are no words to describe it
Read, learn and drop the attitude. Its not helping your lack of credibility.
TY Forums - Homemade octane booster..USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
Kerosene for Octane Boost - MX-5 Miata Forum
Tractor vaporising oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Running Kerosene in a Gasoline Engine - Library

Kerosene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In the mid-20th century, kerosene or tractor vaporising oil (TVO) was used as a cheap fuel for tractors. The engine would start on gasoline, then switch over to kerosene once the engine warmed up. A heat valve on the manifold would route the exhaust gases around the intake pipe, heating the kerosene to the point where it was vaporized and could be ignited by an electric spark.

In Europe following the Second World War, automobiles were modified similarly to turn to run on kerosene from the gasoline which would have to be imported and was heavily taxed. Besides additional piping and the switch between fuels, the head gasket was replaced by a much thicker one to diminish the compression ratio (making the engine less powerful and less efficient, but able to run on kerosene). The necessary equipment was sold under the trademark "Econom".[20]
Saab B engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Saab-Valmet developed in late 70's also a dual-fuel version which was able to use kerosene or turpentine alongside with gasoline. Low compression ratio for 67 octane kerosene was achieved by using turbo engine pistons.
If you want to destroy your engine thats fine, go right ahead but please stop giving out bad advice just because you misinterpreted something you read on an MSDS.

Last edited by tjts1; 05-07-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

From Wikipedia: Octane rating
Quote:
Octane rating or octane number is a standard measure of the performance of a motor or aviation fuel. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high-compression engines that generally have higher performance. In contrast, fuels with low octane numbers (but high cetane numbers) are ideal for diesel engines.
Octane rating is all based on actual tests in real engines as shown at this very interesting link.
John,s Octane Engine Page

Adding Diesel to Gasoline is a very Bad Idea.

Last edited by OldGuy; 05-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: bad url
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #126 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Octane booster calls for 1% to bring up octane rating b 3 points.
If you read the fine print, the "points" they are bringing your octane rating up are each one hundredth of an octane rating point. So that 1% would turn 87 octane into 87.01 octane.

-soD
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #127 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
From Wikipedia: Octane rating

Octane rating is all based on actual tests in real engines as shown at this very interesting link.
John,s Octane Engine Page

Adding Diesel to Gasoline is a very Bad Idea.
Hmm, that would be a very interesting device to have laying around.

It also explains the different factors that make the Octane number nicely in the faq below.

Octane Boosters

Not to mention the kero/mineral spirits top lube
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #128 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Quote:
If you google octane booster it is 99% kerosene.
What I find amazing is that the MSDS actually says upto 1% MMT (Tricarbonyl(methylcyclopentadienyl)manganese), an actual AKI increaser!. It's the MMT that does anything, whatever else, kerosine, diesel, jet-A, heptane, or Stoddard solvent is the carrier. I mention these since I've seen all of them added to octane boosters, I assume each manufacturer got a deal (I mean could get it cheaper than gasoline) on whichever one they used.
-mort
Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There seems to be considerable confusion in the recent posts about what octane represents and how that relates to gasoline - diesel blending.

Let's start on the diesel cycle side of things. Diesel cycle is compression ignition. The goal is ignition when the fuel charge is injected and injection timing is critical. Diesel fuel is blended to ignite at relatively low temperatures so it will intentional ignite immediately when injected. Diesel is not evaluated for octane, however if it were it would have an octane rating in the vicinity of 15 - 25 octane …. very low octane with respect to most gasoline.

Spark ignition engines need a different design character in their fuels. While diesel cycle engines WANT and NEED compression ignition, spark ignition engines DO NOT want compression ignition. Straight diesel in a spark ignition engine of even moderate compression will destroy the engine due to Pre-Ignition (compression ignition), that is ignition occurring too early in the compression phase of the rotational cycle due to the heat of compression. Spark ignition engines need fuel which is resistant to compression ignition. That resistance to compression ignition is measured as octane. Higher octane is more resistance to compression ignition.

Diesel fuel has more energy per unit of volume than gasoline.

Modern gasoline ignition timing controls (Computer & sensors) are able to adjust the spark ignition timing in real time, within reasonable limits. They are able to retard the spark ignition timing sufficiently to compensate for small decrements in fuel octane. Blending diesel into gasoline decreases the octane rating of the blend from that of unblended gasoline. If blended rationally it can result in a blended octane result which is within the range of control the computer can exercise and result in complete combustion with no pre-ignition and no damage. The amount of diesel in the blend controls the amount of octane loss. Some vehicles will not tolerate any octane reduction, others tolerate a significant reduction.

Be thoughtful, be rational and experiment carefully starting with very little diesel in the blend if you choose to experiment. It's rather simple combustion physics. If you do it correctly you can reap a benefit. If you do it wrong you will destroy your engine. I'm doing it correctly and all components of my van are working just fine and have been now for seven years.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #130 (permalink)
radioranger

I read where all new Army vehicles have to run on jet fuel or kerosene, Evinrude back when they were in business made a outboard for the military that ran on kerosene or gas , read about it in one of the popular magazines maybe ten years back ,, a bit off topic but does anyone have experience with a 0 2 spacer to kick up the MPG ,

Reply  Post New Thread