Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks teoman, I'm determined to get this sorted this year - I'll let you know how it goes.

Your DIY sounds great oil pan, but don't think it would work for me.

I've looked at the link you posted skyking, but no luck! I swear to god, I don't think this engine has any freeze plugs! I've searched through loads of pics of stripped down engines on ebay, and the only thing that looks close is a plastic plug on one of the plastic coolant hose junctions, but more likely is an alternative placement for an ECT sensor (same engine fitted to both Ford's and Citroen's).
If there are any they must be behind the cam belts, under the valve covers or something.

Anyway, I'm at the point now where I'm going to buy a unit and hopefully the Chinglish instructions will make things a little clearer

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
If it's a ford cologne series engine the freeze plugs will be right above the oil pan gasket I believe on the exhaust side of the block.

I make heaters all the time using a couple of pipe pieces sized for the water heater element in a "T" configuration. I also place the controller directly over the elements end so if it goes dry, the controller tends to shut it off. Got 3 in the ranger including one powered poorly by 12 VDC.
skyking (10-26-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Do report back with how well it works. Thats a decent price for a heater, I'm also from the UK too. How do you plan on plugging it in, or are you just going to leave the lead dangling?

I'd like to have a male/female waterproof plug mounted to the front bumper so you can just plug it in easily.
225 45 17 > 215 55 17 @ 55psi
LED lights all around inc headlights
Planned: electric turbo turbine generator (WIP), EGR coolant heat exchanger, Front air dam, solar panel, lithium battery pack, alt delete, full undertray, weight reduction, block insulation, engine bay insulation.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlom View Post
Thanks teoman, I'm determined to get this sorted this year - I'll let you know how it goes.

Your DIY sounds great oil pan, but don't think it would work for me.

I've looked at the link you posted skyking, but no luck! I swear to god, I don't think this engine has any freeze plugs! I've searched through loads of pics of stripped down engines on ebay, and the only thing that looks close is a plastic plug on one of the plastic coolant hose junctions, but more likely is an alternative placement for an ECT sensor (same engine fitted to both Ford's and Citroen's).
If there are any they must be behind the cam belts, under the valve covers or something.

Anyway, I'm at the point now where I'm going to buy a unit and hopefully the Chinglish instructions will make things a little clearer
It was a thought
My diesel truck had that kind of heater from the factory, but the cord was an option

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 11-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok, well I've bought and installed the heater now, turned out to be easier to fit than expected.

Had a few trial runs... hmm seems to only heat the coolant to 45c or so, no matter how long it's on for (specs say it should heat coolant to 70c) still better than nothing, but a bit disappointing.

I think I might have fitted it back to front? The instructions (poor though they are) show it directing the flow directly towards the thermostat, however this would be the opposite direction to the coolant flow when the engine is running, so I fitted it the other way around. For various reasons this seemed the "correct" way.

I remember reading a post somewhere (can't find it now) where someone had fitted it back to front and it wouldn't heat up fully - doesn't make sense to me how that would affect anything, but still... I've made sure the heater valve is open...

Anyway, just thinking out loud for now...
Old 11-23-2018, 07:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
If the idea is to pump the hot coolant into the cylinder head and draw the cooler liquid out of the lower part of the block. The head is where the temperature sensor is so it will read hotter as opposed to pumping the heated coolant into the lower part of the block it will be much more spread out.

Reply  Post New Thread