Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Here's a thread showing a simple approach if you've not already read it. The truck is near-identical to mine and although the man doesn't post here often, his posts on other forums cause me to include it if you wanted to ask questions as his approach is like unto ours around here. His locale may not be so windy, but his sensitivity to changes is on par.

Wedge Cap for Pickup Truck.

Last edited by slowmover; 10-17-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
NewMPGfrontier -- I'm not surprised you're having problems. Follow the link to the Dropbox page and the normal right-click options are unavailable, replaced with their own choice, Download Original. I downloaded one twice, reloaded the page and the '?dl=0' in the page's URL hadn't incremented. Try putting the images in an album on you Profile page.

That said, here's a comment on your work so far. You have a 2" step all around the back of the cab. That's your separation point. The wedge would be only a wake filler.

If the frame was moved out flush with the contour of the cab (with a recess for the third brake light), then the tight radius between the top and side would become a problem. With the taperless plan, vortexes will roll up and over onto the top. Without flushing out the transition, that would aid reattachment on the top, but it won't help the sides.

Given the material you're working with you could start the top tangent to the cab and then curve it downward, instead of the flat wedge shape.

slowmover -- I always appreciate the perspective you provide.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
slowmover (10-18-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
4x4, aero cap vs tonneau, crosswind, frontier