Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
See, I was going around thinking this salt flats racing was the safest thing in the world; nothing to hit. But then it was explained that there IS something to hit - the ground! When these cars get to extreme speed, the danger is some aero forces lifting them into the air and then they impact the GROUND with lots of force. Guess that's what kills most Bonneville guys - and sometimes fire.....
There were two accidents that we were present for last Saturday. I'm not totally sure what happened in the first, but the driver was seriously injured, car wrecked. The second was a spin-out that I saw from the sidelines. Car was probably at 150-200 mph at the time. With the dust trails you could not really see the car at all anymore. There was just suddenly no more forward movement and a big dust cloud kinda stationary over the course. No injury in that second one, perhaps because of what you describe.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
weight

Aerodynamic drag dominates the road load power at these racing velocities.Rolling resistance is essentially meaningless.
The weight will impact power-to-weight,so it's important to acceleration.
The weight will also impact traction,as many of these cars are capable of wheel spin at over 250 mph+.
Some racers add ballast to improve grip.
Spins are potentially fatal.If the car goes sideways and lifts off,if it lands sideways it can dig in and barrel roll.The centrifugal forces and accelerations of the crash can easily exceed human tolerances.Only an onboard fire is worse.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
crash video

Old 11-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
Well, he stayed right-side-up, so that's a good thing!!

I did a maneuver very similar to that at Bonneville in 2008 at 161 mph. My car stayed flat too, and I was very thankful for that! I wasn't in a cloud of dust - in my case, it was a cloud of smoke because when the engine blew, oil spewed all over all the hot parts, so it was nasty. I couldn't see anything until I came to a stop and was able to open the door.

They have a rule that if you have an "emergency", to pull off onto the right side of the course (if you can). I couldn't see through the smoke, so just nudged the wheel ever so slightly to the right. As luck would have it, I ran right over the right side "2-mile" sign & timing light. I remember seeing the big orange "2" momentarily appear in the windshield. Anyway, they actually "prepare" the course by repeatedly dragging & rolling it. Off to the sides, the salt isn't nearly as flat, smooth, and hard as on the course. So I think what happened is when my right wheels hit that soft salt, it musta tugged on that side enough to upset the equalibrium. So I went into a skid, spinning to the right, & made at least a couple complete turns before finally coming to a stop. At the time, I thought it was a half dozen turns, but now I doubt it could have really been that many.

The year after, my engine blew at 183 mph and there was even more smoke. But that time, I was able to exit the course to the right without spinning out, so just did a big, long arc to the right until my parachute stopped me. There was so much smoke that time, they were sure there was a fire. When the fire truck got there, they were almost insisting I "admit" to a fire & tell them where it was. We opened the hood, the trunk, & nothing was burned. But they kept holding their fire extinguishers with "hair triggers", all dissappointed not to be able to spray anything.

Later, I discovered I'd forgotten to "arm" my on-board fire suppression system before taking off on that run. It's a good thing there wasn't a fire, because I'm not sure I would have had presence of mind enough to think to pull those safety pins if I'd tried to hit the extinguisher and nothing happened while bathed in flames!!! There was actually SO much smoke, I was halfway wondering if there was a fire for awhile. But I couldn't feel heat or see any orange light, sooo.... But the smoke was so thick, I was having trouble breathing and actually got just a little worried about smothering at one point! I was sure glad when I was able to release the door net & roll down the window! It was quite an adventure, I can tell you that!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmjinman For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-15-2013), California98Civic (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
No worries, and it's not stupid or anything.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Dry lakebed dust on my '98 Civic

Last images from El Mirage.

In the first, you see the dust collected at the trailing edge of the trunk lid, where a line marks a curve downward (dust collected there fairly consistently), dust collected on the ledge just below the license plate, and lots of dust on the top of the bumper cover (but not at the ends of the cover).

In this second image, dust has collected on the aft side of the opening for the driver side door. It is smashed into the sheet metal and the trim, but not on the forward edge (on the door itself).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131110_005-1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	14177   Click image for larger version

Name:	131110_007.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	14178  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-02-2013)
Old 12-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Those roof fences have been on NASCAR race cars for many years.

Reply  Post New Thread