Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
wish I had a decent answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
If you had a (semi-permanently mounted) 1-wheel trailer that moved (non-articulated) with your car, that was faired into your car's shape with all of the normal rear lights and the car's license plate moved to the back of the trailer, could it legally be considered a rear extension of your car and not a trailer?
That's a good question and I have no decent answer.I suspect that around here,because the structure had a wheel,the Dept. of Public Safety would rule it a trailer,requiring it's own registration and license plate and light kit.-------- New Mexico never nailed me with the 4-foot inflatable boat tail hanging off the T-100.John Gilkison and I surmised that onlookers probably just thought it was an inflatable Zodiac-style boat hanging out of the bed.--------- I think the U.S.D.O.T. allows an 18-wheeler up to a 48-inch overhang if it is for fuel economy.I know of no ruling for automobiles.-------- Since school buses,trucks,and RVs can have enormous cantilever rear ends projecting way beyond the rear axle,it may not be an issue,as it would be discriminatory to single out autos if they were to attempt same.------------ Safety would be the by-word perhaps,leaving it to the discretion of officers to decide a potential hazard if they thought one existed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
They apparently offer a generator carrier as well. You could extend the range of EV's with a little rewiring, I bet.
At Phoenix Intl Raceway,at the Solar 500,two teams had "hybrid"-electrics created by use of "range-extender" trailers which contained generators which pushed power forward through an umbilical to the host vehicle.Alan Coconi (sp?) drove from Los Angeles powering his electric CRX.Volvo did likewise.----------------- The trailers could have contained extra batteries for pure plug-in extended range.------------- Neither of the teams connected with the idea of a streamlined,gap-sealed trailer which would have ( could have ) lowered their road load.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #63 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
As far as the idea of using a one wheel trailer, I still think we need to come up with a clever idea for having the tail lights and plates visible on the vehicle towing the trailer.
Same goes for the bumper extentions. In stock form, the are legal because the towing vehicles lights are visible. ( Not sure how they get around the plate visibility laws. )
Once you begin trying to fare the trailer and towing vehicle together, then the legal hastles start.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #64 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
This sounds like a great project. I'd definitely go with the flaps to help seal the gap between car and trailer, making them from clear Coroplast to keep the lights visible. .
Looks like Bob tackled this issue before - but don't the taillights have to be visible from behind the trailer as well ?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
As far as the idea of using a one wheel trailer, I still think we need to come up with a clever idea for having the tail lights and plates visible on the vehicle towing the trailer.
Same goes for the bumper extentions. In stock form, the are legal because the towing vehicles lights are visible. ( Not sure how they get around the plate visibility laws. )
Once you begin trying to fare the trailer and towing vehicle together, then the legal hastles start.
Is the tow vehicle plate really an issue? If the trailer is registered to the same person,then "running the plate" would yield the same data for the authorities.----------- In Texas,a front plate is mandatory,but the registration tag is on the windshield,both clearly visible to anyone interested.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:39 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I find this discussion about the rear plate kinda odd.
My utility trailer is taller and slightly wider than my truck thereby blocking the plate.
My 5th wheel blocks the rear plate so bad an officer would have to get on his/her knees to read it.........
Oh, and my lights are completely blocked as well, that's why there are ones on the trailer.
My buddies "hitch hauler" sits right in front of the plate. Put a cooler on it and there's about a 2" gap to the plate.
Are they manufacturing these illegally?
I don't think we have to worry.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #67 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

I'm just paranoid.

I got ticketed at 3:45 A.M. on a deserted road ... for not using my blinker.
( but I swear I did use that blinker - it's instinct by now. )
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #68 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Getting back to this old thread, I just wanted to add something that I found today :

AircooledTech.com - 1950 Tear Drop Single-Wheel Trailer Restoration

( This guy is restoring an old 1950 single wheeled trailer that he pulls behind his VW microbus, )

Too bad it couldn't have mated up to the back and had a more correct taper to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cd For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Nice picture.
Hope he pulls the roof rack off !
It may be a bit short and blunt but it should help a bit.
WIth a classic asthetics are important as well, it's a good match.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #70 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So, has anyone gone through with their plan yet?
A harbor freight trailer would be a good starting point, under $200 and light.

Reply  Post New Thread