Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #71 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Here's the camping trailer I built. It really isn't aerodynamic, but it's cute and fun, and lightweight, so it's easy to pull. The top of the camper is even with the top of the S-10 if I have the cap on it.

Out camping one time, I met a girl who built this camper.

Notice how the back of hers is straight, instead of curved, and has a distinct vertical portion at the back bottom. She claimed that she gets 3 miles per gallon better WITH the trailer behind her 6-cylinder Dakota than without it. I have only ever clocked one occasion where my trailer improved my economy.

Also, here's a similar style trailer I saw behind a motorcycle when I was coming home once from a road trip.

The TOP of the trailer looks like it's not back for aero, but of course those big boxy fenders sticking out really hurt frontal area.

Anyways, these are all fun styles of trailers, and I think MODIFIED VERSION of them could be useful for aerodynamics.

PS: Both of the camping trailers were built on Harbor Freight utility trailer frames. In states where you are required to have a - what do they call it? Certificate of Origin of Manufacture? It's not a VIN, but a thing saying where the trailer was made, and that it's DOT approved. Anyways, the Harbor Freight trailers come with that. So, technically, both those campers are just "utility trailers". In my state, typical trailers do not need any sort of plates, just the usual lights and safety equipment. In a state where plates are required, that certificate can help you get them.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 12-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: PS
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
too bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Getting back to this old thread, I just wanted to add something that I found today :

AircooledTech.com - 1950 Tear Drop Single-Wheel Trailer Restoration

( This guy is restoring an old 1950 single wheeled trailer that he pulls behind his VW microbus, )

Too bad it couldn't have mated up to the back and had a more correct taper to it.
Yeah,the trailer will be completely embedded within the turbulence behind the Transporter with no chance to really reduce drag.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist916 View Post
So, has anyone gone through with their plan yet?
A harbor freight trailer would be a good starting point, under $200 and light.
I'm just now jumping back into my project and it's 'growing'.
I couldn't come up with speed rated tires to fit my wheels and now must convert to a 1-wheeler.I have a 1990 HONDA NT 650 Hawk swing-arm and wheel and have purchased an H-rated Dunlop touring tire for it with a load rating which exceeds the total weight of the trailer.
I will build a sub-frame to attach the swing-arm under the existing trailer,loose the entire 2-wheel axle,springs,and wheels,and convert the ball hitch to the double axis captured motion setup I ran behind the CRX.( It's just like what Burt Munro did with his Indian Scout in New Zealand behind his car.
That 1-wheeler got 48-mpg HWY with two burned-out vacuum lines on the carburetor.Never got to re-test with good rubber.
The 2-wheeler ( as Harbor Freight sells today ) with unfinished body was good for 50-mpg behind the CRX,with half a ton added weight ( NiCad batteries).
Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #74 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
yea, this helps justify buying a trailer to the wives of the world. it can be deducted from the overall price, I'd think.

Reply  Post New Thread