Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
The first thing I noticed about Vetters designs are that the insides are very rough and seem to have a lot of sharp edges.
If redone industrially, the rough edges would be eliminated

Craig's latest design and knockoffs are essentially proof of concept vehicles and very much a work in progress.

Some of Rooivalk's designs look a lot like the Ultimate Vetter fairing BTW

Some others, are actually in limited production or have been designed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
I don't have any files saved though, only these photographs. But I can make better renders. When you make a lot in a short space of time it's easier to just photograph the screen. (I am using freeware rendering software that won't allow me to save rendered images)
There are OBJ exporters for the free version of Sketchup.

And while the program might not save images, there is always Shft-Cmd-3 (screen) or Shft-Cmd-4 (selection) to save. If you find yourself in Windows it's Alt-PrintScreen (a dedicated keyboard key). Then you have to save in Paint or something.
Old 09-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The use of materials such as honeycomb aluminum can give very good crush characteristics when designing for impact protection. Rigid foam sections as in helmets help too. Consider a lap belt in a full body fairing. Knee and face injuries are most likely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Rooivalk1 (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

With some careful thought a good all weather scooter shell is possible. The fuel mileage could be double that of stock and excellent crash protection provided. A bright two tone paint scheme and marker lights would make it highly visible. Articles from the SAE journal and race car construction can be very helpful.

Last edited by Grant-53; 09-05-2015 at 04:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Rooivalk1 (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
If you wouldn't want a tricycle to lean in a turn, something a little wider like the Piaggio Ape and its Indian copies would be a good base. Then you could even attempt to make a "family-oriented" version of your project.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Rooivalk1 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gyroscopes.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
If you wouldn't want a tricycle to lean in a turn, something a little wider like the Piaggio Ape and its Indian copies would be a good base. Then you could even attempt to make a "family-oriented" version of your project.
Something like a Dymaxion car? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car
Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Dymaxion would be a better example to follow than say the Campagna Motors T-Rex because it has a lot more internal volume; important when you scale it down to your size. It's being discussed right now in another thread:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard
The question to be answered by my following aerohead's dimensions would be the difference between a pointed tail like The Template and a rounded tail like the Dymaxion.
I've been struggling with an English translation of Kamm's research and what I can say is, 'don't do 'rounded' truncations.Make the cut as if you'd do it with a bread knife.Straight chop.
There's your opportunity for taillights and license plate. They both have a wide track to compensate for zero track in the rear.

Here's my own design for a(n un-truncated) Dymaxion clone:

It's advantage would be the mathematically defined shape lends itself to formless construction. Since it is malleable it could provide a narrow body for a two-wheeler as well.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-06-2015 at 01:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (01-16-2019), Rooivalk1 (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Dymaxion would be a better example to follow than say the Campagna Motors T-Rex because it has a lot more internal volume; important when you scale it down to your size. It's being discussed right now in another thread:

There's your opportunity for taillights and license plate. They both have a wide track to compensate for zero track in the rear.

Here's my own design for a(n un-truncated) Dymaxion clone:

It's advantage would be the mathematically defined shape lends itself to formless construction. Since it is malleable it could provide a narrow body for a two-wheeler as well.
Thanks, most of the designs you'll see in the links I left in my second comment in this thread are straight chops for this reason, It would allow for taillights and a numberplate, without drastically affecting airflow like a curve would. I'd have to say my favourite design of mine so far is this one, because it has good visibility and crosswinds shouldn't be a huge problem, as well as the numberplate thing: The rest of the fairings 4 September - Album on Imgur
Old 09-06-2015, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I see that was the one you chose for your avatar.

I don't know how much you've poked around this site. Have you seen Allert Jacobs 125cc Honda? It has an interesting solution to ingress/egress.

Also concerning Craig Vetter's rough interior; http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ion-32556.html Hit on the left, injuries on his right.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aerodynamic, fairing, fuel saving, scooter, streamlined