Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I would not see too many problems with "in town testing". That would at least answer the MPG questions, while keeping it off the open road until safety questions could be hashed out.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I would not see too many problems with "in town testing". That would at least answer the MPG questions, while keeping it off the open road until safety questions could be hashed out.
You know what it takes to be cool.
You're a ROCK-IT man, burning out your fuse out there, alone.
Oh YEAH! That's the GOOD stuff!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ok, I get where you are coming from now.

So you've heard from many (me included) saying we thought it was a bad idea, but really, you should throw together a pair to experiment with. I've experimented with several things that most wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. The blackpowder-grassfire incident comes to mind... but I digrese

When I was in my early 20's, (circa 1984) a guy I knew ran a pair of space savers on the front of his chopped roof "Cal-Look" VW (chopped as in 'chopped off' with a sawzall), He wanted that 'slammed' look and lowering the beam wasn't enough for him. He had a hard time finding someone to mount them on his wheels, didn't get many miles out of the tires he chose as I recall, and got harrassed by the local police. (side note: talk about making yourself and easy target for the police, a kid, driving a primered VW, AND lowered 2" off the ground). You won't have that problem.

I think many of those are designed to be used on a specific rim, a 'steel rim on steroids' and if I remember right, a tire store won't mount space savers on a regular wheel. Somthing about regular wheels not built to take the higher psi required for a space saver, don't they run at 70psi or some-such? Maybe you know someone who works at a tire store that would do it anyway, just stand back or put the wheel into one of those tire cages when you inflated it, since tire changers have been killed by rims literally blowing apart. I'm going from memory and not positive, but it's worth checking out before you get to far into it. good luck and let us know if you find additional FE ---Tom
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '93 Mazda Miata
90 day: 34.79 mpg (US)
What's the weight of the spare wheel/tire?
What's the car you're using?

My spare tire is a rock hard rubber. I'd doubt you could use those.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromizer View Post
ok, I get where you are coming from now.

So you've heard from many (me included) saying we thought it was a bad idea, but really, you should throw together a pair to experiment with. I've experimented with several things that most wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. The blackpowder-grassfire incident comes to mind... but I digrese

When I was in my early 20's, (circa 1984) a guy I knew ran a pair of space savers on the front of his chopped roof "Cal-Look" VW (chopped as in 'chopped off' with a sawzall), He wanted that 'slammed' look and lowering the beam wasn't enough for him. He had a hard time finding someone to mount them on his wheels, didn't get many miles out of the tires he chose as I recall, and got harrassed by the local police. (side note: talk about making yourself and easy target for the police, a kid, driving a primered VW, AND lowered 2" off the ground). You won't have that problem.

I think many of those are designed to be used on a specific rim, a 'steel rim on steroids' and if I remember right, a tire store won't mount space savers on a regular wheel. Somthing about regular wheels not built to take the higher psi required for a space saver, don't they run at 70psi or some-such? Maybe you know someone who works at a tire store that would do it anyway, just stand back or put the wheel into one of those tire cages when you inflated it, since tire changers have been killed by rims literally blowing apart. I'm going from memory and not positive, but it's worth checking out before you get to far into it. good luck and let us know if you find additional FE ---Tom
I know a couple of used tire places where you jack the car up yourself and they have impact guns sitting out front for customer use. That, and I have a couple of friends who have tire machines.

I used to be a mechanic so I know how tire mounting works.

That said, I did just score a 14" motorcycle tire that looks like it might fit ....
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just a thought regarding running doughnuts on the rear. If you are running pizza plate hubcap covers and have fender skirts and the car is dropped a touch, that might prove to hide them pretty well from casual scrutiny, if you were trying to stay undercover.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Just giving this some thought; what you need are the spare tires from the heaviest all wheel drive car with the same bolt pattern as your car.

The AWD cars need a spare with same diameter at the other tires, and with a heavier vehicle the spare has to be built to handle that.

4 of those tires on a Metro might last for a year or 5 while giving the gearing for good mileage.

There were AWD versions of many minivans too, check out their spares.
Ian

Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Taurus - '99 Ford Taurus SE
90 day: 17.89 mpg (US)

Windstar1 - '97 Ford Windstar Cargo
90 day: 16.99 mpg (US)

Vulcan - '97 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)

Suzuki - '09 Suzuki SX4 Technology AWD
90 day: 24.62 mpg (US)
uh AWD requires you to have the same size wheels on all four. so awd doesn't have anything else than full size spares.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by achang1 View Post
uh AWD requires you to have the same size wheels on all four. so awd doesn't have anything else than full size spares.
I am pretty sure I've seen AWD spacesaver spares before...

From a Ford Edge

The trick is to get one with the same bolt pattern, but maybe with a Metro sized car you could just make your own holes.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2017 Honda Civic LX - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.92 mpg (US)

Reply  Post New Thread