Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spitfire - '68 Triumph Spitfire Mk II
90 day: 26.18 mpg (US)

CivicHybrid - '04 Honda Civic Hybrid
90 day: 37.1 mpg (US)
Spitfire owner says hello

Hello,
I have been lurking here for a while and have finally made some modifications to my car. I commute with two cars, a 1968 Triumph Spitfire when it is not raining (most of the time) and a 2002 Jeep Liberty when it is.

So far I have added an Engine Off/Start switch to the Spitfire and have fixed a fuel leak I had. I have a vacuum gauge in it but the readings seem quite low. I think I need to move the point at which the gauge senses the vacuum.

It is a carb engine so I can't use a ScanGauge or Ultragauge, but I am acquiring the components to build an MGDuino for it. I have the Arduino board, and a fuel flow sensor from a boat (actually 2) next I need a speed sensor and an LCD panel.

I have started doing some of the hypermiling techniques too. I am still on my first tank since starting all this stuff, so I don't know how well I am doing. I have had the car since I was 14, and I am 48 now. The best MPG I regularly got from it was about 24 MPG, so anything better than that and I know I am doing well.

Best Regards,

Kirk

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Very cool you held on to it for all these years!hope to see pics soon
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Hello Kirk. Sounds like an interesting project. 24 mpg sounds way low for such a small car haha, but I bet the aero is pretty bad on it too. Anyway, I'm sure you can bump that up a fair amount. Keep us updated!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here are some current pictures of the car:
Side View:

3/4 View:

Front View:

My first tank was a sad 20 MPG but that was mostly due to a bad fuel leak I had and fixed. The second tank I got over 26 MPG which is the best I have ever gotten in the car. This is with the use of the EOC switch I installed. I shut it off at lights and while coasting.

For the future mods, I don't want to do too much to the exterior visuals of the car since I like the looks of it. However I do plan to put in a partial or full grill block, but with acrylic or plexiglass, so it doesn't look much different visually. I want to add a bellypan with coroplast eventually. I am also thinking of removing the bumpers. Just the horizontal part, and leaving the bumper overriders. I have seen other Spitfires done this way and it looks good. When I remove the front one, Ill have to find a spot for the license plate. Here in California we have to have front plates.

My next project is to get an MPGUINO working on it. Since it is carburetted and mechanical everything, Ill have to add my own fuel flow sensor and vehicle speed sensor. I picked up two fuel flow sensors from ebay that are for a boat. They have 5 pins. I can't find the documentation for them online, so Ill have to experiment with them to find out what the pins are. There is an impeller inside that I can hear when I blow through the tube.

I haven't found an inexpensive VSS to put on the driveshaft yet.

-Mozul.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
I had an MKIV that had an electronically activated overdrive unit go for a 500 RPM drop. Don't know if it would fit, but might be worth looking into if you do a lot of highway miles.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozul View Post
Here are some current pictures of the car:
Side View:

3/4 View:

Front View:

My first tank was a sad 20 MPG but that was mostly due to a bad fuel leak I had and fixed. The second tank I got over 26 MPG which is the best I have ever gotten in the car. This is with the use of the EOC switch I installed. I shut it off at lights and while coasting.

For the future mods, I don't want to do too much to the exterior visuals of the car since I like the looks of it. However I do plan to put in a partial or full grill block, but with acrylic or plexiglass, so it doesn't look much different visually. I want to add a bellypan with coroplast eventually. I am also thinking of removing the bumpers. Just the horizontal part, and leaving the bumper overriders. I have seen other Spitfires done this way and it looks good. When I remove the front one, Ill have to find a spot for the license plate. Here in California we have to have front plates.

My next project is to get an MPGUINO working on it. Since it is carburetted and mechanical everything, Ill have to add my own fuel flow sensor and vehicle speed sensor. I picked up two fuel flow sensors from ebay that are for a boat. They have 5 pins. I can't find the documentation for them online, so Ill have to experiment with them to find out what the pins are. There is an impeller inside that I can hear when I blow through the tube.

I haven't found an inexpensive VSS to put on the driveshaft yet.

-Mozul.
such a beautiful body on that car!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozul View Post
Hello,
I have been lurking here for a while and have finally made some modifications to my car. I commute with two cars, a 1968 Triumph Spitfire when it is not raining (most of the time) and a 2002 Jeep Liberty when it is.

So far I have added an Engine Off/Start switch to the Spitfire and have fixed a fuel leak I had. I have a vacuum gauge in it but the readings seem quite low. I think I need to move the point at which the gauge senses the vacuum.

It is a carb engine so I can't use a ScanGauge or Ultragauge, but I am acquiring the components to build an MGDuino for it. I have the Arduino board, and a fuel flow sensor from a boat (actually 2) next I need a speed sensor and an LCD panel.

I have started doing some of the hypermiling techniques too. I am still on my first tank since starting all this stuff, so I don't know how well I am doing. I have had the car since I was 14, and I am 48 now. The best MPG I regularly got from it was about 24 MPG, so anything better than that and I know I am doing well.

Best Regards,

Kirk
cool. I bet with some work you could probably get close to 27-30mpg i think that the mpg reader would help you allot
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nemo,
I have the electric overdrive transmission in it. I installed it many years ago with my Dad. We got it from a 1974 car. It works well to keep the RPM down. At 65 MPH it is around or maybe slightly under 3000 RPM.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
These classic British roadsters are cool

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
introduction, newbie, spitfire