Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: Would you buy a 125cc motorcycle for the street?
Yes! 35 40.23%
Hell no! 22 25.29%
Yes, but only at the right price. 30 34.48%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #261 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
1984-85 xr250r had dual carbs, just sold a 84 a few weeks ago, ran great after being parked for 4-5 years. Had a 87? xr600r and it was also dual carb. Only had the 250 a few months, the 600 a few years and never had to touch the carbs.
She had the SRX250 for 13 years. In that time I had to replace the carb diaphragm, carb boots, fuel level float and needle valve, and the petcock diaphragm. When the petcock failed the bike dropped the entire tank of fuel on the garage floor. All told $346.81 in parts back in 2007.

We should have got her a Ninja 250.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 AM   #262 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It's basically a clutchless 3 step through manual gearbox.
1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, and it should go back to Neutral after 3rd, or before 1st.
Is so for the older Yamaha's, and Hondas.
The Yamaha V50-V90,
Honda Super Club (C65-C110), as well as the newer model (C125).
Now they all use a 4-speed gearbox.

Quote:
I like their centrifugal clutches (when the engine is idling, it doesn't shoot forward, like on any scooter).
It also doesn't suffer from CVT losses, so gets better gas mileage
Even though I'm not totally unfavorable to a CVT, the semi-automatic gearbox still seems reliable enough to justify its use in the Cub and derived models which have a more utilitarian approach.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 AM   #263 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I've had four SV650s all N models (without fairings). I've had over three dozen bikes and I keep coming back to the SVs. I love them... obviously. I still have two, a 2000 and a 2008, with carbs and FI respectively. On the '00, I hate the carbs or should I say I hate ethanol. I average only 35 mpg. This will be my last bike with carbs. I've had them off, apart and cleaned numerous times. I am having trouble letting it go because it has every performance mod conceivable and when it runs, it really goes, fat with torque in the mid range and handles and brakes exceptionally. A very fun, rowdy ride.

The '08 has FI, dual spark and ABS and will be a keeper. I can let it sit for months and it starts immediately and runs flawlessly. If I am easy on it I can get 55 mpg, if I ride it like I'm prone to do, I average about 45 mpg. It is more refined than the '00. The torque peak is a bit higher in the revs and there's less grunt down low. In a drag race they are neck and neck.

Best of luck with yours. That red is my favorite color. And oh yeah, ditch that Stinko tire immediately. Put on a pair of fresh PR5s and smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daschicken View Post
And an SV650S he got!

A 2007 model, the first year of dual plugs with only 6000 miles on it!

It arrived late, so no one except my dad has gotten to ride it yet, and the fork seals decided to pour oil everywhere, especially on the front tire...Told my dad if he brought in the wheel and a new tire(old was worn!) I will change it at work. I told him to buy a michelin road 5 and I will pay for it. PO just put a new rear on, some Shinko something or other. A replacement road 5 rear will accompany the front when the Shinko wears out, or ASAP if the Shinko sucks.

Hoping to pull down some impressive numbers with it! Both brothers and me wanted an SV650, so there might be some fighting over it.

Last edited by pwillikers; 07-25-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #264 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillikers View Post
I hate the carbs or should I say I hate ethanol.
Maybe what you hate is the combination of both.

Back to topic: the widespread adoption of EFI even in 125cc motorcycles in my country had the advantage of allowing them to also feature flexfuel ability, even though I have already seen some carburettor-fed motorcycles worked around to provide some degree of flexfuel capability.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:14 PM   #265 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Honda is phasing the CG 125 out in Brazil

It's claimed the 125 couldn't comply with the new mandate of either combined brakes or ABS, but let's look at the basic 160 which also resorts to drum brakes all-around but is fitted with combined brakes...
Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #266 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
No finely calibrated brass holes and ethanol compounds are just not compatible.

I wonder if there is a way to remove the alcohol easily.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #267 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
No finely calibrated brass holes and ethanol compounds are just not compatible.
No wonder flexfuel ability only became mainstream for small-displacement motorcycles in Brazil once they started switching from carburettors to EFI. But anyway, most fuel system replacement parts nowadays are chemically treated to protect them from ethanol damage.

Quote:
I wonder if there is a way to remove the alcohol easily.
It depends on what you would consider easy. Some people tried to separate the ethanol content with water, but it's not so easy to do on a larger scale at home.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:21 PM   #268 (permalink)
Beginner Ecomodder

Honda Super Cub sold out--all 500 of them...

They're not in the showroom yet but all Honda Super Cub C125's have been spoken for with waiting lists when/if the next batch arrives. Is this just a bunch of Baby Boomers suffering from sentimentality for the good times they had on Honda step-throughs back in the sixties? Is there finally a movement towards a practical lightweight? Will demand fall flat once the excitement and initial sales pass?

Those in the motorcycle press who've ridden it say it's wonderful and it's probably the nicest step-through Honda has ever built.

Your thoughts?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #269 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrat View Post
They're not in the showroom yet but all Honda Super Cub C125's have been spoken for with waiting lists when/if the next batch arrives. Is this just a bunch of Baby Boomers suffering from sentimentality for the good times they had on Honda step-throughs back in the sixties? Is there finally a movement towards a practical lightweight? Will demand fall flat once the excitement and initial sales pass?

Those in the motorcycle press who've ridden it say it's wonderful and it's probably the nicest step-through Honda has ever built.

Your thoughts?
I visited my local Honda dealer last week and he said they would get 5 Cubs in May. Only 1 was spoken for.

I think the initial demand is baby boomers reliving their youth.

Last edited by JSH; 03-01-2019 at 10:57 AM..
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #270 (permalink)
Beginner Ecomodder

The Super Cubs are here!!

A website I visited had several reports of dealers having them in stock or will have them this weekend. One dealer in Arkansas has an unsold unit they're asking over list price and so far no one is biting.

When the Grom was released demand far outstretched supply but now you can walk in and get a choice of colors. The initial demand for these units lasted almost a year and a half before it settled down. Dealers were asking and were getting a thousand over list for them during the initial rush.

What will demand for the Super Cub be a year from now? Will people be willing to pay a premium to have one now? It'll be interesting to find out.

Reply  Post New Thread