Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #121 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

MPGeo - '93 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 67.51 mpg (US)
LED Turn Signals & Air Dam

OK so I've had these LEDs laying around for a while, and I had ordered some turn signal blinker modules when I was doing the 3rd brake light mod.

I've been meaning to do the LED turn signals, and a grill block for a minute... and since I was already messing around jacking the car up because of the tires, after I posted the results from the tire testing I went back out and guess what happened???

My Bumper Fell OFF!... Ok, so I helped it come off

Here's the Before & After of the LED Turn Signal Mod

Inside View

So as is the case with most LED turn signal replacements the load is not enough for the OEM flashers to flash at the normal rate. Simple fix could be to add load resistors but the whole reason for me to even add these in the first place is to lower electrical load... Adding resistors defeats that purpose. So another option is to purchase an electronic flasher designed for LEDs, which is not load based.

The one that was listed for my car actually does not fit... Because the OEM location is very tight, and size specific. The LED flasher casing size is bigger for no reason and it will not fit w/o modification... So I modified it by removing the casing, works just as good

Next, since I already had the bumper off... I tried a few things w/o success and finally found a carpet runner at Lowe's and it seems to work fine for the moment being. Here's what I came up with for a grill bock.

Then I fitted me a piece of 2x4 and painted it

Here's where the fun begins... This is my spacer block so that everything is at least some what evenly spaced from edge and from each other

When it was all said and done this is what it looked like

I might paint the hardware black... or put some black duct-tape over the edges to cover the bolts... don't know if I like the look or not yet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161106_150013.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	20852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	20853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	20854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	20855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture6.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	20856  

Name:	Picture5.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	20857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture7.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	20858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture8.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	20859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture9.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	20860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture10.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	20861  

Name:	Picture11.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	20862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture12.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	20863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture13.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	20864  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #122 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
OK I'm not trying to be a jerk but turn signal electrical load? Not much potential saving there. Running lights- yeah.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
MPGeo (11-07-2016), Xist (12-15-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 10:18 PM   #123 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
The ROI won't be good, that's for sure, but it looks neat. I'm enjoying reading this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (11-11-2016), MPGeo (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #124 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
OK I'm not trying to be a jerk but turn signal electrical load? Not much potential saving there. Running lights- yeah.
Yeah I know... but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The ROI won't be good, that's for sure, but it looks neat. I'm enjoying reading this thread.
Well... true, if you're referring to the turn signals. But they are really not that expensive I think I paid something like $7-$8 each light. The blinker modules ($5/ea) are really not needed, and as a matter of fact, I plan do away with them.

And by the time you add the harness and flasher...
Yeah... ROI, not good I agree

They do have a low/hi setting, and since the load would be so low I had plans in running them as turn signals of course, but also as running lights on the low setting (to come on along with other marker lights), as well as "fog-ish" lights on HI via switch... Not sure how well that would work, but want to try it out some day.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #125 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

MPG Update - with 15"s

OK, so just today I was able to get my 1st tank numbers driving the 165-80-15's on.

So from the short test drive I did when I test fitted the tires I knew the care would need all the help it could get to push through with the 16% taller tire... So before I even drove on this tank I had installed the grill block pictured above... So with that said

My tank results began looking really good based on the fuel gauge, but this is a new cluster and I wasn't sure if the fuel gauges were tracking the same. My old one red-lined EMPTY at around 8 gallons or so, and apparently this wan is doing the same. So the numbers are in today 55.2 mpg. Now this is "theoretically" the best tank I've had to date... but only by 0.18g.

So technically Me & My GEO was correct in that, although the mileage was nearly the same as my previous tank, it technically is less mileage if you take into account that because of this tire was so big it basically washed out any the positive effects of the grill block.

I plan to continue experimenting with other tire sizes as I come across them, I'll be looking for specific tire sizes based primarily on Revs-per-Mile, but also taking in account width and side wall height. I'll see what I can find next at local used tire places...

But for now the extra driving efforts needed for this tire size are not worth the washout gain. So I'm back to 12"s and the next tank has been zeroed- so that I can test the effects of the grill block.

Also found me a nice piece of foam that I will be using over the winter to block the radiator opening for a full-block, easy to remove and install while I monitor engine temps.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #126 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs up Best Tank To Date

Today I filled up and was happy to see my best full tank to date!
413.5 miles on 7.092g = 58.3

Bit warmer mornings than the last tank (upper 40's F - mid 50's F), with warmer afternoon return trips. And I have started driving more miles at slower speeds (45-55) on country roads 1/4 of the commutes but only on my return home trips.

This is with the foam insert for a full grill block with only under hood area opened, and with the original 12s. I removed the first test set of 15's after one tank since the net effect was a wash at best.

Haven't done much else to car at moment. Have been working on an S10 2.2 rebuild and trying to find time to finish that install... hopefully can finish installing it tomorrow after church.

Later.
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGeo For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (11-23-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #127 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thumbs up Just In

So I just got me a few goodies that I purchased from DAOX!

The official ecomodder shift knob

Plus a few other goodies... His old volt meter/gauge pod, another single gauge pod, and mirror delete covers for both sides.

Now I just need to see how I want to implement them.

1st thing to go on will be the knob, I'm just going to just place it there and just get used to driving with it as it relates to button orientation and so forth. Then once I get comfortable wit it and button locations then I'll wire it up. Don't want to be cutting my car off by mistake

It's a 3 button knob that I intend to use for: kill switch, eng. start, alt on/off.

The volt meter itselft I'm not so sure yet... I actually think I might want to tie that into my TPS to see signal voltage. Don't know. Yet

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20161203_144710.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	20991  
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGeo For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-11-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,594 Times in 7,077 Posts
On the driver side mirror delete, are you going to have a dashcam with a rearview camera mounted there? If the dashcam would let you swap front and rear views picture-in-picture that would be great.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
On the driver side mirror delete, are you going to have a dashcam with a rearview camera mounted there? If the dashcam would let you swap front and rear views picture-in-picture that would be great.
That's a great idea.

So I had no immediate plans to do a driver's side mirror delete, but since I had started the ball rolling on having the custom printed covers made, then I decided to go ahead and buy both of them just in case I decided to delete the driver's side as well.

I find the driver's side mirror very useful and I had thought about a rear camera but never was really convinced about it.... I have been physically looking into putting in a convex mirror inside... but not too sure about that idea either.

But I recently bought a 3D printer of my own... I've been wanting one for some time, but prices where to high. But after buying all this printed stuff and finding a great deal, I pulled the trigger and bought a printer.

So NOW I can definitely see myself designing me mirror delete cover w/ built in rear view camera like what you've described... Although I prefer to have the rear view mirror display for rear view rather than picture-in-picture.

But for right now no immediate plans. Just finished w/ an S10 engine rebuild for my in-law and trying to find time to put the finishing touches on the Mazda b2200 turbo swap...

So as far as custom work... the METRO will have to wait until spring time before I can start devoting more real hands-on-time to it... until then I'll keep thinking of new things and begin my 3D printing learning curve

Last edited by MPGeo; 12-11-2016 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #130 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I did find some signs by a trash can in front of a planning office down-town the other night when I left the gym... Maybe I can use these to make me a belly pan ??

Also scored me some heavy plastic bags from work so that I can use to make my smooth wheel covers like others have done here...

And getting used to and liking the new shifter... Need to find time to wire up

Quick look at the foam I scored from work to cover the opening during winter

Reply  Post New Thread