Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Another vehicle 92 Nissan Sentra

I originally bought this car for one of my brothers sub contractors who does AC work.

We sold him the car for $500 in running condition, but he never came to my buddys body shop to pick the car up. After 6 months I decided to just take the car home and see what it needed to run reliably.

I got a transport tag ($5) from the DMV and drove it home (20 miles) today. Put some walmart premium and some techron in the tank. It was idling poorly but would run good otherwise. I dogged the crap out of it on the way home and it was starting to idle better until I got a mile from home (of course) then it dropped a cylinder completely.

GRRRRRRRRR, just my luck. With little hope of success I went to advance and bought 4 NGK spark plugs. To my utter amazement that fixed the miss (autolite plugs). I can't remember how long it has been since a plug change fixed a dead miss.
I was figuring I would have to pull the intake and possibly change a couple of injectors but I think I might get away without having to do that. I had cleaned the IAC valve to get rid of the stalling when we first got the car in February.

The Sentra has 175k miles on it and it was atrociously dirty on the outside with an accumulation of rotten leaves that was enough to affect the airflow through the heater and AC. several hours with the pressure washer and some simple green and it looks much better.

I has an exhaust leak, so I jacked it up and found the leak in the tailpipe just past the flange where the tailpipe meets the center section of the exhaust. Pull that sucker and weld it up, looks like it was not welded properly to begin with. They probably tried to do it on the car instead of taking off two bolts and dropping the whole muffler-tailpipe assembly. The battery is 7 years old and it was stone cold dead after sitting for 6 months, holding a charge for now.

I also need a left rear side marker lens. Then it should pass inspection and be legal to drive.

It's an auto, fortunately the overdrive 4 speed (33 highway). What is amazing is that everything works in the car, even the cruise control and the AC is probably still R12. 1.6 liter twin cam 4 valve per cyl engine that has a timing chain when most had belts at that time. Dang thing will chirp the tires going into second. It weighs just over 2200 pounds. One of the last ones made in Japan, I think. Interior is almost perfect, once I got all the dirt out of it.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 08-16-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I know y'all love pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	1113
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	15582   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	1017
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	15583   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	990
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	15584   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	950
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	15585   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	957
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	15586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	967
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	15587  
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (08-17-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No airbags, no power windows, door locks or mirrors. I wish it was a manual, but hey for $300 and needing no significant repairs (money wise), it could replace the Fiesta and the truck, if I bought a Harbor Freight trailer. Got two trailer hitches in the garage I picked up, one for $20 and the other was free.

regards
Mech
Old 08-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Lol it has the attacking seat belts!

Wow for a 92 that looks amazing, I wish you had taken some before and after pics of the engine bay and interior. What if your buddy comes looking for it in a year? Haha.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

He had the title. Now I have the title. I told him to do exactly what I did and he didn't do anything for 6 months, then he gave the title back to my brother. He had his chance, now he has medical bills, bad teeth, and high blood pressure and a kid whose mother is getting child support.

regards
Mech
Old 08-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
He had the title. Now I have the title. I told him to do exactly what I did and he didn't do anything for 6 months, then he gave the title back to my brother. He had his chance, now he has medical bills, bad teeth, and high blood pressure and a kid whose mother is getting child support.

regards
Mech
Omg wow. That really sucks. Did they make a manual for that year? If I got a car for that cheap I would tear the entire interior out of it, spare tire, get underneath and shave metal, haha. Anything I could do to save weight.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
it could replace the Fiesta and the truck, if I bought a Harbor Freight trailer.
What do you think you'll do with it?

Lucked out on that miss being a spark plug issue!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I tend to let things develop their own flow. Ordered a muffler and left rear side marker lamp from rock auto. That should do it for state inspection. I could sell the Fiesta and the truck and net about $10k, cut my taxes and insurance a lot and have working capital in the bank, above what I have now.

I have $400 in the car and it will cost me another $100 or so for title, registration, and tag transfer. I have not really decided which way I will go. I want to see how the Sentra does compared to the Fiesta. Probably average 40 in the Sentra.

regards
Mech
Old 08-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Omg wow. That really sucks. Did they make a manual for that year? If I got a car for that cheap I would tear the entire interior out of it, spare tire, get underneath and shave metal, haha. Anything I could do to save weight.
They made a manual. I rebuilt one (4 dr manual) about 20 years ago and got 40 MPG on a highway trip with my older brother and his son riding with me. Mostly 65 MPH on the Interstate.

I'm not going to gut it or make any radical changes and it already has great aero hub caps.

With my 3 wheeler project progressing to a finish point, probably in the next year, reducing my auto inventory capital outlay is a compelling point. I always liked that model of Sentra, light, great engine and this one does not have a speck of rust anywhere, rockers and lower fenders are coated with plastic like Mercedes.

2288 pounds empty weight. Not much more than a civic of the same age, but no timing belt or cltuch replacements. I'll go to the pick and pay and see if they have any of that model.

regards
Mech
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
They made a manual. I rebuilt one (4 dr manual) about 20 years ago and got 40 MPG on a highway trip with my older brother and his son riding with me. Mostly 65 MPH on the Interstate.

I'm not going to gut it or make any radical changes and it already has great aero hub caps.

With my 3 wheeler project progressing to a finish point, probably in the next year, reducing my auto inventory capital outlay is a compelling point. I always liked that model of Sentra, light, great engine and this one does not have a speck of rust anywhere, rockers and lower fenders are coated with plastic like Mercedes.

2288 pounds empty weight. Not much more than a civic of the same age, but no timing belt or cltuch replacements. I'll go to the pick and pay and see if they have any of that model.

regards
Mech
That's a good idea getting rid of cars as insurance costs a ton. Right now I'm paying 110 a month for just liability on my civic and Mustang. Of course I'm only 21 but still. I think that's a little high but whatever. I have State Farm.

Anyway, is it worth doing a manual swap in that car? Isn't it a pain to do it? I have been thinking of finding a 6-speed for my Mustang but I don't feel like going through the hassle of auto to manual swap.

Reply  Post New Thread