Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
The pyramidal equivalent of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_Pyramid

fbov -- When evaluating the merits of a post, I always consider the # of Posts and the Thanks/Thanked ratio. Your Thanks/(total) Post ratio is pretty good, I'll give you that.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-30-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
fbov, to the fact that this paper was written on a "Practice Field" and we should therefore treat it with kid gloves somehow is kinda funny to me.

A) This is ecomodder, a blog forum with a bunch of geeky guys blabbing endlessly about stuff that none of our wives/girlfriends are even remotely interested in.....This is not the AeroScientific Review Board, a prestigious peer review committee. But, it is flattering that you think we carry that kind of weight.

B) If the subject paper's authors are wanting to learn....and did happen to stumble upon this...should we all just look at the work they did and say, "That's really nice looking paper Kumar....here's you gold star, now drink some juice and go have a nice recess for 30 minutes"

Or

Do we point out where errors may have been made and talk about how things may have been done better. I really don't see Aeroheads comments as anything like scathing criticism, his writing style is, as always has been, quite perfunctory.

*But that's just him.

C) I'd bet real money that the authors will never in 1,000 years find this forum post.

Annnnyway, you seem like a good, intelligent guy Frank. I hope this does not offend, I just read through the thread again and tried to figure out why it has gone the direction it has, my ramblings here are just my opinion that maybe we need to maintain perspective here about what this forum is maybe supposed to be about. I respect you Frank, which is why I wrote this....and hit reply.

I had a really terse post for someone else that's here all written up the other day, then I just deleted it. Think muddy pig.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
C) I'd bet real money that the authors will never in 1,000 years find this forum post.
Unless they want to; in which case it takes 0.24 seconds.

https://www.google.com/search?q=http...Selvakumar.pdf

I try to think 'muddy pig' and nothing happens.

In other news:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus
Just because they didn’t have calculators and libraries of textbooks doesn’t mean they didn’t understand. They didn’t have to know calculus or be able to solve differential equations, they just needed to understand the products they were using. Stone isn’t that complicated, but they used it to do complicated things. In fact I bet they understood their resources and products better than most present engineers who take the immense wealth of knowledge available at their fingertips for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
I really do not think that the pyramids are a good example. Mountains are naturally occurring and generally do not fall down, either.
I'm in error, the better example would be the Collapsed Pyramid.

The original construction consisted of battered, contiguous columns (built on solid bedrock). Then someone decided to convert it from a stepped pyramid to a flat-sided pyramid by adding onto a foundation of sand. Probably bureaucrats.

Also, it now appears that the Babylonians used the principle of area under a curve, a basic tenet of the Calculus.

This Babylonian Astronomy Text Changes History.

OTOH the pyramids sure could use a 4% radius on their edges.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (01-29-2016), Xist (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 12:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here we have a paper written by a research scholar and an associate professor with a PhD. It was presented at a regional conference and reviewed by at least one editor for publication. It would appear that they did everything right. The e-mail addresses for the authors are listed so we may contact them concerning any errors or omissions.
Two lessons can be drawn. First it necessary to list and examine the assumptions that are the basis for an experiment. Second is that the easiest person to out smart is yourself. We like to have people think well of us but this must always be tempered with a measure of humility. Nobody's perfect. We do no one any favors by ignoring their weaknesses or denying their virtues. The conservation of reality exists independent of how many letters are in or after a name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (01-29-2016), Xist (01-30-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #25 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
If they do see this, and not to nit-pick per se.....Buuuut, the Illustration 8.5.2 does not accurately reflect the data on Table 1.....just sayin.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 03:05 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I really do not think that the pyramids are a good example. Mountains are naturally occurring and generally do not fall down, either.
Pyramid inclination angle is 43.3 degree; same as sand in hourglass. They generally do not fall unless damaged by external forces or as in FB picture above taken apart for building material.

EDIT: rreading more on bent pyramid it appears the angle on it was changed during construction from original 54deg to 43 to prevent collapse

Last edited by cyclopathic; 01-30-2016 at 03:34 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Notice of retraction

Here's an example where,after publication of a paper,a jury deemed it unfit,and ordered it's retraction
IEEE Xplore Abstract - Notice of RetractionResearch on aerodynamic drag reduction of heavy commercial vehicle
Xist (01-30-2016)
Old 01-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Fboy, that is a student paper. I try to understand things, but I will leave that one to those wiser than me, for example, Aerohead.

Phil, for how long have you been professoring?
Old 01-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
professoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Fboy, that is a student paper. I try to understand things, but I will leave that one to those wiser than me, for example, Aerohead.

Phil, for how long have you been professoring?
I don't know about professoring,but I've been talking about aero with close friends since 1974,after CAR and DRIVER's 'CRISIS FIGHTER PINTO' article was published in March of that year.
NASA was conducting some of their research while I was at Edwards Air Force Base,but I never got to see any of it.
I was discharged in August,'75.I would have loved to see NASA's