Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

looking for a truck or suv thatll get the best gas mileage, suggestions on vehicle

I am sorry if I do have this question in the wrong place, I am new to this website, but im looking for a new work truck or suv, right now I have a trail blazer, dont remind me of how bad the gas mileage is in that thing lol, im a tall (6'4) subcontractor for directv so the biggest thing that I have is a ladder, it is a Werner MT-26 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 26-Foot, found on amazon

The rest of everything is just small boxes or dish pans, all together around 150 pounds work of equipment and me (200 pounds).

I know, about not lead footing, coasting when you can, nitogen in the tires, no roof rakes, and all that stuff I already do, so im looking for the best mpg vehicle I can start looking for, has to be over 30 on the highway, just because I know its possible, was thinking about a 4 banger, was thinking more about a toyato or a nissan, just because of the reliablitly, but not really picky, just want the best gas milege I can get, then after that what mods that are possible to

Basically I need to know what type of car, engine, etc to look for and after I get that what can I do to it to allow it to have better gas mileage

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
I would suggest a pick-up with a canopy.
For a small truck i like the 2.4 L 4 cyl. Toyota Tacoma, also the new f150 would get better mileage then your trail blazer.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
New Truck?

How about the Ford Transit Connect? I was able to flirt with 30 MPG highway with it ... it's rated at 26. Lots of room for a little truck, tho its unique looks aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Among the small SUVs, maybe the Mazda CX-5 or Mitsubishi Outlander Sport? Not sure if there's enough room for your ladder.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Amazon.com: Werner MT-26 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 26-Foot: Home Improvement
Nice ladder. I have the smaller 17' Little Giant. Yours folds up to under 8' right? I believe you can fit that inside a Honda Fit with the front passenger seat folded flat. The idea of a Transit Connect is also a good one. Or any minivan, or even the sub-minivan Mazda 5. The new Ford Explorer 2.0T is rated 28 highway I believe.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
D'oh! I forgot about the Mazda5 ... I need to get that review video done, the tape's been sitting on my desk for too long. Interesting little critter, that one.

Counter-intuitive thing about the Transit Connect ... I got better highway mileage with the windows down-A/C off then I did with the windows up-A/C on. I'd like to test that one again.

That said, Ford really needs to bring a diesel version. And pop on some LRR tires perhaps, while they're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Amazon.com: Werner MT-26 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 26-Foot: Home Improvement
Nice ladder. I have the smaller 17' Little Giant. Yours folds up to under 8' right? I believe you can fit that inside a Honda Fit with the front passenger seat folded flat. The idea of a Transit Connect is also a good one. Or any minivan, or even the sub-minivan Mazda 5. The new Ford Explorer 2.0T is rated 28 highway I believe.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
I have began to start looking at the chevy colorados if u get the 2wd version u can still hit mid 20s stock and have more room then u would in a s10, ranger, etc

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I found this little disgusting tidbit while reading the Wiki on the Ford Transit Connect:

Quote:
To circumvent the 25% tariff on imported light trucks, Ford imports all Transit Connects as passenger vehicles with rear windows, rear seats and rear seatbelts.[9] The vehicles are exported from Turkey on cargo ships owned by Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, arrive in Baltimore, and are converted into commercial vehicles at WWL Vehicle Services Americas Inc. facility: rear windows are replaced with metal panels and rear seats removed (except on wagons).[9] The removed parts are then recycled.[9] The process exploits a loophole in the customs definition of a commercial vehicle. As cargo does not need seats with seat belts or rear windows, presence of those items exempts the vehicle from commercial vehicle status. The conversion process costs Ford hundreds of dollars per van, but saves thousands over having to pay the chicken tax
Wiki Link

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I looked into pickup trucks because I'd like to have one for home improvement projects etc. I found the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series had the best mpg ratings of the small trucks sold in the US market.

I think they came in different bed lengths; you'd have to figure out if one will hold your ladder without using a ladder rack. The only issue with a ladder rack as far as MPG is concerned is that it will add drag and so reduce your fuel economy.

A 'cap' that's tapered downward towards the rear actually improves fuel economy, if done right. If that's not possible then a flat cover over the bed is better than an open bed. See various discussions on this in the "Aerodynamics" subforums.

Hmmm. If the ladder doesn't fit in the bed laying flat, it MIGHT fit if you put the front of ladder up at roof level and the back end down on the floor. Not much aero penalty that way either, I would think. Especially if you put a tapered cap over the whole thing.

Definitely go for a manual transmission.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah the ladders defanilty nice, I have a 17 foot one, but its really hard to get to the 2 story building without a taller one lol, but I think the 26 foot one (all folded up) about 6 foot, I think. But a conapy ill probably need, just to fit everything, manuel transmission, defanitly, I just don't want to spend a lot of money on the vechicle, basically I don't want to buy a brand new one, just thinking of one that around 80-02, with atleast abs and power everything
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Here you can look up the EPA estimated MPG for any car or truck since the '80's.
Search by Model
They changed the test procedure during that time but they've standardized all the published numbers at that site so you get an even comparison between models.

Like I said before, pick your year and take a look at the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series.

Reply  Post New Thread