Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #111 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
Long time ago, I've heard Toyota swap Celica's tranny to xB in US version. I believe that is the manual tranny. That is why the gear ratio is so high. In contrast, auto tranny stays the same.

One biggest advantage of high ratio final gear I've noticed is higher torque. When I was driving Civic, I feel the difference when I have 2 passengers. 3 passengers slow down the car. 4 passengers is like towing something. Driving xB doesn't give me the same experience. Even 5 people in the car doesn't make much difference.

disadvantage? obviously, hurting FE and somehow, I feel xB slower than civic.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #112 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbUser View Post
43mpg without EOC?!!! You are great!! What speed you usually drive on freeway? Hopefully, I can learn some tricks from you.
my GPS says its between 58-61 mph in the 60mph zone, 53-55 in the 55 zone... I go through two changes on my way to work everyday...

i keep it under 3000k rpm at all cost...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #113 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

Thanks. That is a good hint. I am trying 60mph in 65mph zone. I can tell the difference now. Slower is better in xB for its poor air dynamic boxy shape. I will check any big improvement in the next 2 tanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #114 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

By the way, any xB owner has scanguage? Maybe you can share what is the sweet point to shift.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #115 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy

xBox - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 40.85 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Z man
Quote:
By the way, any xB owner has scanguage? Maybe you can share what is the sweet point to shift.
Yeah but I hate where the auto shifts! And, when the engine is cold, it runs at over 3,000rpms at 30mph! This sucks for my 3.5 mile work commute.

I am getting a scangauge, when I get the money.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #116 (permalink)
It is a laughing matter

The ROFL Box - '05 Scion xB
90 day: 46.85 mpg (US)
Quote:
I really like shifting between 2200 and 2500, it keeps the car moving without making the engine work harder with the next gear
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #117 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

Thanks for your tips. I maintain/shift rpm below 3K (<= 60mph on freeway) in this tank. Very good result. I've got 40.5mpg this tank!!

I also changed transmission oil first time in 136K. Feel little bit better when shift, but I doubt it helps any in FE.

I pump gas in Costco today. I know the pump doesn't fill the tank very full, but 20 cents less per gallon is very attractive. This is the 2nd tank I got over 40mpg. It brings the last 3 tank average over 40mpg. I hope I can have another 40+mpg next tank, so my goal will be achieved.

Next mod plan is underside belly pen, change motor oil to synthetic 0W30. I hope that will bring mpg to 43.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 AM   #118 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy

xBox - '05 Scion xB
Quote:
Thanks for your tips. I maintain/shift rpm below 3K (<= 60mph on freeway) in this tank. Very good result. I've got 40.5mpg this tank!!

I also changed transmission oil first time in 136K. Feel little bit better when shift, but I doubt it helps any in FE.

I pump gas in Costco today. I know the pump doesn't fill the tank very full, but 20 cents less per gallon is very attractive. This is the 2nd tank I got over 40mpg. It brings the last 3 tank average over 40mpg. I hope I can have another 40+mpg next tank, so my goal will be achieved.

Next mod plan is underside belly pen, change motor oil to synthetic 0W30. I hope that will bring mpg to 43.
Damn there is no way I can beat you now, I don't plan to add aero mods. I am looking at the Scangauge and people keep saying that it is not accurate at tracking fuel consumption.
Should I still buy one?

My current tank is not very good because of all short trips and road work on the road I go on everyday. I want 40mpg again!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:08 AM   #119 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
SG can get sketchy on fuel consumption but can be adjusted and calibrated to compensate for the discrepancies. It's better than nothing and with it, helped refine my techniques to improve FE.

Have you addressed all the areas that can affect FE? Aero isn't the only thing you could do (plus if you're doing lots of short trips they might not matter much either). Hit the other 4 areas in my sig and it might help.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 AM   #120 (permalink)
Boxy is Sexy

xBox - '05 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
SG can get sketchy on fuel consumption but can be adjusted and calibrated to compensate for the discrepancies. It's better than nothing and with it, helped refine my techniques to improve FE.

Have you addressed all the areas that can affect FE? Aero isn't the only thing you could do (plus if you're doing lots of short trips they might not matter much either). Hit the other 4 areas in my sig and it might help.
That's unfortunate for the scangauge. I still think it would be interesting to have though.

Yeah I need an oil change, I don't really know which oil is better than what the dealer recommends. Same for spark plugs.

My rims are lighter than stock, but that's about it.
My main issues are passengers sticking their arms out the window and getting stuck in traffic!

Tags
driving techniques, mod, mpg, scion xb