Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
Wecome Hege! Very cool Audi you have there. I'm already envious of your current mileage. Wow

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Spanish whip - '12 Seat Ibiza ST E-Ecomotive 1.2 TDI
90 day: 53.84 mpg (US)
This is an interesting car. I've collected a bit of information how the 1.2 TDI Audi A2 is different to the 1.4 TDI.

The windows are made of thinner glass than in the standard model. Not sure what parts of the body that has been lightened, but I have seen quoted that the body is 15 kg lighter than the standard A2 aluminium body.

Magnesium alloy wheels and all aluminium suspension components. The suspension is 80 kg lighter than standard version. The rear brake drums are made of magnesium alloy.

All aluminium diesel engine block, weight saving of 16 kg compared to cast iron block.

The gear box is vw 085 standard gearbox that is lightened. Weight has been reduced as follows:
- Openings were included in the crown wheel
- The input and output shafts were hollow drilled
- The 5th gear has been designed as a spoked gear wheel
- The remaining gear wheels have been made lighter by machining recesses in the side faces
- By moving the oil filler screw, oil capacity has been reduced by 0.2 litres but the oil level is still the same as before

The rear seat doesn't fold down, it is 19 kg lighter than the standard A2 model.
No power steering or air conditioning
No spare tire. There is a compressor and tire sealant in the boot.
21 liter fuel tank (5.5 gallons)

In total the 1.2 TDI model is 340 lbs (155 kg) lighter than the 1.4 TDI model. Weight of the car dry is 1840 lbs (835 kg).
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The A2 is one of my favorite cars of all cars ever made. Sadly you never could get one in the USA. Finland and the Finnish people are also some of the best people on earth. I own a 1934 dated Finnish military M28-30 rifle in excellent condition. One of the first 800 made. The story of the Hundred Days War is one of the most compelling in the history of military conflict, close to the Battle of Thermoplye (spelling). Even Joe Stalin respected the Finns.

regards
mech
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm impressed. That's a legendary weapon, and everyone here knows it by the name "pystykorva", which means the dog finnish spitz. The target of the weapon reminded of the dogs ears.

But back to the topic.

To lower the fuel consumption audi made an effort to improve the aerodynamics. The coefficient of drag is 0.25 compared to 0.29 which is the worst case of the standard model.

I found this list on another forum. It shows how much each modification area contributed to the total lowering of the aerodynamic drag.

Cooling package (including radiator, intercooler, oil cooler, etc) 33.4%
Exterior 31.7%
Front wheels 13.1%
Rear wheels 6.9%
Floor 6.9%
Rear Axle 3.1%
Engine 3.1%
Front Suspension 1.4%
Exhaust 0.7%

The only aerodynamic difference that I have noticed are the skinny 145/80R14 tires with flat wheel covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250px-Finnish_Spitz_600.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	16413  
Old 11-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There is some amazing engineering in that car. Hollow shafts in the transmission .

THAT IS SERIOUS ECOMODDING STUFF!!!!!!!!

regards
mech
Old 12-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Finally had the time to check the toe on front and rear. The previous owner had changed the springs, so I suspected it to be a little off. When I changed the tie rod ends the locking nuts on the tie rods were seized, so I don't think I messed much the toe. I have since adjusted toe out twice because the car felt like there was a lot toe in at the front.

I was a little amazed to measure 1/4" (6 mm) toe in at the front. Now it is set to as close to 0 as I easily could. Hopefully fuel consumption will improve.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141230_001.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	16703  
Old 12-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Terve, Hege! I can't believe I missed this.

That A2 is a sweet little car. Too bad we can't get them in the States.

It doesn't look like Audi left a lot of fruit to pick for ecomodding, and yet you found some. Your grille blocks look pretty good.

You seem to be going back and forth a bit on the wheels; Flea's garage page shows one style, then another picture seems to have nearly-smooth eco-friendly covers, and in your alignment image it seems to be another style again. What's up?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If the car wont start due to the clutch/gearbox issue adjustment try this quick fix

Ignition on & in neutral, open the bonnet & simply jiggle the clutch lever/cable end, hopefully you'll hear a clunk which means the car is ready to start. Its a lot quicker than firing up the laptop & getting the VAGCOM out

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
The Following User Says Thank You to cptsideways For This Useful Post:
hege (01-05-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

elhigh: First I had the stock magnesium wheels. Then I purchased hubcaps to go with them. Now I'm running winter tires with aluminium wheels.

The current winter wheels are not optimal, but I don't feel I can justify buying new wheels just so they are more aero. The winter tires are also new and of wrong size. The tires should be 145/80R14, currently they are 175/65R14.

cptsideways: Thanks for the tip! It's been a difficult time learning every detail about this car. The gear box is really complicated, and info is hard to come by. It took 30 minutes to find a screw driver I could bend so I could short circuit the starter to see if it starts. In hindsight, the car stood a week because I didn't know your tip. Keep them coming!

I just updated my fuel log and I'm a bit disappointed that I'm so far off the factory specified fuel consumption. I'm using 10-20% more fuel than I should.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hege View Post
Finally had the time to check the toe on front and rear. The previous owner had changed the springs, so I suspected it to be a little off. When I changed the tie rod ends the locking nuts on the tie rods were seized, so I don't think I messed much the toe. I have since adjusted toe out twice because the car felt like there was a lot toe in at the front.

I was a little amazed to measure 1/4" (6 mm) toe in at the front. Now it is set to as close to 0 as I easily could. Hopefully fuel consumption will improve.

Be aware that if your track width is different from the front to rear wheels it will bugger up your alignment. Double check by measuring the front and rear of your front tires to confirm decent alignment. On my Sentra the rear track is not as wide as the front, so to do the check as you have, I would have to use a "spacer" to make both tracks widths the same amount.

regards
mech

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
1.2 tdi, audi a2 3l