Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Audi's Bio-gasoline

Audi's bio-gasoline venture seems to be moving along:

What’s the only thing better than gasoline? Audi’s bio-gasoline, produced by genetically engineered bacteria | ExtremeTech

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
ASV (02-01-2014), mcrews (02-01-2014), RedDevil (02-01-2014), RustyLugNut (02-01-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I'm not against the ethanol, but it's interesting to see an alternative to gasoline more similar to its chemical properties. BTW everybody might already know that during WW2 when Poland was invaded by Nazi Germany there were some "refineries" making gasoline out of wood chips...
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Cobb (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There was/is a plant in Hopewell, VA not too far from me that was going to do that. Right before they started to produce product they had a big fire. A British company was going to buy it and ship it over seas, but said they would stay here and make jobs. Its a neat idea, but its been almost a decade in the making.

New hope for ethanol plant? - News - Progress-Index

British company plans to open Hopewell ethanol plant - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News
Old 02-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
I hope this awesome new bio gasoline doesnt magically (or catstophically) disappear like those other ideas.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I'm rooting for Cool Planet | The only company producing carbon negative fuels based on plant photosynthesis to remove CO2 from our atmosphere

Quote:
About Cool Planet
Cool Planet is deploying disruptive technology through capital efficient, small scale biorefineries, to economically convert non-food biomass into high-octane, drop-in biofuels. The process also generates value through biochar production, which can be returned to the soil, with the “Cool TerraTM” product enabling fertilizer and water retention for increased crop productivity, and more robust plant health. The process is capable of being carbon negative, removing over 100 percent of the carbon footprint for every gallon used, reversing the consequences of fossil fuels. Cool Planet’s technology has a broad portfolio of pending and granted patents. Global investors include BP, Google Ventures, Energy Technology Ventures (GE, ConocoPhillips, NRG Energy), and the Constellation division of Exelon.
Their latest press release: Cool Planet’s Cool TerraTM Biochar Receives International Biochar Initiative’s 1st Certification, California Organic Certification, and Support from United Nations Environment Program

Their proprietary 'bio-reactor' may well use similar organisms. I think they treat the process more holistically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
BTW everybody might already know...
I thought it was synthetic gas from coal and wood gas from wood.

Reply  Post New Thread