Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

auxiliary transmission cooler

I have read that powering off the engine while in motion is bad for an automatic transmission as it would overheat from lack of cooling. Could an auxiliary transmission cooling pump and radiator be installed to solve this problem?

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
i dont think youre going to be able to get fluid through the trans. fluid pump when its stopped. getting fluid out of the pan, cooled and back into the pan wont be getting cool fluid where it would be useful.

how eoc would affect your vehicles transmission would probably be the same as the affects of flat towing, or towing with the drive wheels on the ground. that info might be in your owners manual.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Most if not all automatic transmissions fluid/oil pumps work continuously except when in PARK. Many automatics route the transmission fluid thru the radiator for cooling or thru another cooler usually in front of the radiator. The lower the transmission fluid the longer the life of the transmission. (Of course if you live in Fairbanks, AK and it is minus 40F you need to warm the transmission fluid in neutral before moving. Yes al gore Fairbanks still gets to minus 40.)

Good source for aftermarket auto trans coolers would be Summit Racing or Jegs.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
I'd assess whether it's getting too hot before worrying about it.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.59 mpg (US)
The problem with EOC in automatics is not overheating but lack of lubrication. The pump is only running when the engine is running, and if the pump is not running there are moving parts inside the transmission that are not getting fresh lubricant.

As for the benefits of an external cooler, as was stated your radiator also serves as a transmission cooler. This is probably more than adequate unless you do a lot of towing or frequently drive up steep hills. A trans temp gauge would help you determine if the fluid is ever getting very hot.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post
Yes al gore Fairbanks still gets to minus 40.)
We need to stop thinking about the term "Global Warming" and focus on the idea of "Climate Alternation" or "weirdness". Parts of our Continent this past year have seen either unusually cool, warm, wet/flooding, or dry/drought conditions.

Fairbanks is in a Subarctic region -- -40F is a complaint? I've been there twice and that's normal. If you take Climate Change seriously, then don't blame it when your neck of the woods isn't "warmer".

RH77

_
_
Old 11-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
The problem with EOC in automatics is not overheating but lack of lubrication. The pump is only running when the engine is running, and if the pump is not running there are moving parts inside the transmission that are not getting fresh lubricant.

As for the benefits of an external cooler, as was stated your radiator also serves as a transmission cooler. This is probably more than adequate unless you do a lot of towing or frequently drive up steep hills. A trans temp gauge would help you determine if the fluid is ever getting very hot.
So maybe just an auxiliary pump then. Use it to keep the fluid moving when the engine is off. Wire a control circuit that activates the pump when the vehicle is moving with the engine off.
At the same time, maybe add another auxiliary pump for the engine oil to ease the restart? That pump only needs to operate just before the restart.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 11-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.59 mpg (US)
Somebody posted a link in another thread here to an auxiliary pump like you are describing, however it was pretty expensive, you would have to do a lot of EOCing for a long time to break even.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
We need to stop thinking about the term "Global Warming" and focus on the idea of "Climate Alternation" or "weirdness". Parts of our Continent this past year have seen either unusually cool, warm, wet/flooding, or dry/drought conditions.

Fairbanks is in a Subarctic region -- -40F is a complaint? I've been there twice and that's normal. If you take Climate Change seriously, then don't blame it when your neck of the woods isn't "warmer".

RH77
I've been to Fairbanks once (for 38 months). I've seen 21 days in a row with the warmest temperature a minus 30F. Walked to work at -52F. It took to long to get the car ready to drive. Fairbanks on only subarctic because it is 125 miles So. of the Arctic Circle.

"If you take Climate Change seriously,". Whether one takes climate change seriously or not is not the question, the question should be "Do you REALLY think you can change the climate?" When I hear the likes of Al Gore, I am reminded to grab my billfold and hide the money. Too many Chicken Littles live in mansions and fly on private jets.

Washington Post, January 11, 1970, Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age
Chicago Daily Tribune, August 9, 1923, Scientist Says Arctic Ice Will Wipe Out Canada
Los Angeles Times, October 7, 1932, Fifth Ice Age Is On The Way
Los Angeles Times, June 28, 1923, Ice-Age Theory will be Sifted
Los Angeles Times, April 6, 1924, New Ice-Age is Forecast
Los Angeles Times, March 11, 1929, Is Another Ice Age Coming?
New York Times, June 10, 1923, Menace of a New Ice Age to be Tested by Scientists
New York Times, January 27, 1972, Climate Experts Assay Ice Age Clues
New York Times, May 21, 1975, Scientists Ask Why World Climate Is Changing; Major Cooling May Be Ahead.
Washington Post, January 11, 1970, Colder Winters Held Dawn of New Ice Age

Reply  Post New Thread