Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
I hadn't heard of this before, why is it bad practice? Seems like switching back and fourth could be a greater potential hazard

Apparently, it's not obvious and I'm insane. One of the reasons I added an auxiliary starter button was to allow me to restart while in drive.

Hi! the parking brake will hold your car better than the footbrake would if someone ran into you from behind. And some people find brake lights in front of them annoying.
That, of course, assumes the driver shifts to Neutral at a stop of any length.

Leading on to starting an engine in Drive. If you know what you're doing, fine. But this device is designed to be retrofitted to cars not having it as standard, and not all cars are capable of starting up and immediately driving off -mechanically that may well not result in a 'seamless' experience.

I'd have thought a much better control system would be to educate the driver to shift to Neutral at a stop, and use that plus the footbrake as the 'engine stop' signal. Use the shift to Drive and foot on brake as the engine restart signal. Instead the device is just working around the average driver's laziness.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread