Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turd - '90 Honda Civic wagon Dx
I didnt say how much lighter lol. But hey if i can find some cheap enough why not shed a couple pounds sure a couple pounds wont make a lot of difference but every little bit helps.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Plexiglass is not a bad option at all, since it's also more resistent to some impacts (which can range from a crackhead attempting to break a window for your stereo or a rock crushing the windshield)...
Old 11-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Chippy - '93 Honda Civic DX Hatch
90 day: 35.92 mpg (US)

VD - '98 Chevy Lumina base
90 day: 28.72 mpg (US)

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 18.11 mpg (US)
Hey guys I am back with this weeks results. After removing the back seat, and increasing the the tire psi to 40 I went 395.4 miles on 10 gallons. I probably could have made it to 400 but I didn't want to push it on my way home from work. Today I filed the tank until I heard the clink, 10.83 gallons. I have adjusted the my driving habits a bit, I put the car in neutral down every hill, I even drafted a large truck for 20 miles on the highway.

This week I will increase the psi to 45. I made a grill blocker out of cardboard and duct-tape. It looks like crap but I think it will help. I will report back next week.

Also does anyone know if anyone has created a step by step build guide for the MPGuino? If not I might try making one when I build mine with pics and screen shots.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just sold a '91 Civic DX hatch that I was getting about 40mpg on, so I'm interested to hear your updates!
The Following User Says Thank You to VX Fuego For This Useful Post:
smoothtrooper (11-24-2013)
Old 11-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I find that most people that have a civic hatch have the 5speed. I wish mine was. I know a guy with a red 92 civic hatch that gets 45mpg regualry his is a 5 speed. So that is my end goal get 45 mpg average in my civic hatch auto. I bought this car to teach my wife how to drive 6 years ago. I never thought I would still be driving it. In the end I am happy that I have it, I was able to save enough money for a down payment on building a house because of this little car. Most of my friends when we graduated college bought new cars straight from the dealer. Paying $400 a month for car payment then insurance. I don't think I would ever want to do that. After two years of saving money by not buying a new car/ saving gas by driving a small car. BAM Built a house. I don't ever think I will sell the chipster.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

DMC - '99 Honda Civic DX
I've removed the rear seats from my altima(99' I4 with auto) many years ago, it didn't help.

What helped me was installing underbody trays right before the engine to divert the air properly under the car, and making a custom rear diffuser right below the trunk area. I also had the tires on occasion at 55psi.

I went from having a 24mpg car to a 31mpg car. I also had a scanguage on top of all that.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtrooper View Post
I find that most people that have a civic hatch have the 5speed. I wish mine was. I know a guy with a red 92 civic hatch that gets 45mpg regualry his is a 5 speed. So that is my end goal get 45 mpg average in my civic hatch auto. I bought this car to teach my wife how to drive 6 years ago. I never thought I would still be driving it. In the end I am happy that I have it, I was able to save enough money for a down payment on building a house because of this little car. Most of my friends when we graduated college bought new cars straight from the dealer. Paying $400 a month for car payment then insurance. I don't think I would ever want to do that. After two years of saving money by not buying a new car/ saving gas by driving a small car. BAM Built a house. I don't ever think I will sell the chipster.

I have a 93 Civic VX, but I found out the hard way that it's a California car. I bought it with the expectation of 50mpg, but my best avg so far is about 43. It's a stick shift of course. It's so much easier to save gas with a manual!

I wish I had the wisdom to buy cars like this a DECADE ago at least. I used to trash talk these little gas sippers, now I love them.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Most of the weight is in the belts (25-30lbs). The tops are 21lbs, the bottom is 8lbs. So in total you should be able to cut about 60lbs. I have kids, so I can't do this.

The rear side window in lexan are pointless to do. You save a whopping 1.5lbs per side.

There are too many threads online to count on the subject. I will suggest: the insight brakes, 1 piece front end, a smaller battery, lighter flywheel, and removal of the washer system(s). I wouldn't recommend: gutting the isolation (sound is horrible on the highway), removing carpet (same), or JDM lenses (yellow over time).

Old 11-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbeflying View Post
I've been looking for some plexiglass to replace the originals that way i can still see and it'll be lighter than glass
Weight only really matters in city-driving.
A few pounds won by removing windows won't make a big difference in fuel consumption.

It will help if it's part of an all-out weight reduction effort, but still has to be balanced between investment and (little) return.

Vekke went a long ways to reduce his Lupo's weight - including replacing the windows - to good effect.

Most of the possible weight savings on a car comes from replacing the sheet metal body panels with lightweight (aviation) alternatives - which can shave a couple 100s of lbs of weight off a VW Golf sized car.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK so I finally used up my last tank of gas. This last tank was disappointing. I went 363.4 miles on 10.53 gal. I did everything I could, coasted down every hill had my PSI up on the days were it didn't snow. It snowed for a few days and 50 PSI on snow and ice does not feel safe to me. I let it down to 35 PSI on snow days. But after the snow was gone I bumped my PSI back up. I feel like the weather was the killer for me over the past few weeks. Does the weather effect your mpg's?

Also I joined a car pool so I will only be driving 4 days a week now. Which is great. The down side is I will have to but my back seats back in. My cardboard and duck-tape grill blockers rotated out due to the snow, salt, and water. I am thinking of making some tin ones. I will keep you guys updated with any modes. Later

Reply  Post New Thread