Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
A high-altitude nuclear strike will cook your EFI while nothing short of a direct lightning bolt (or a solid whack with a big hammer) will disrupt the function of your carburetor.
Quote:
Outside a nuclear war. There is that little asterisk.
Aren't you more likely to suffer an EMP pulse from an overzealous SWAT tream? Unless you make a Faraday cage in your engine compartment? That would put you a step ahead of, oh say, Telsas.

A step short of Armageddon might be a volcanic eruption like Mt St. Helens. It was a localized 'nuclear winter' and anything that didn't have a massive cleanable air filter stopped dead in it's tracks. EFI'd or carbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyfirewalker
i also know for a fact more energy is consumed in building vehicles than they burn in a lifetime, we were talking about this the other day in class...

...until we can take pretty much any sort of biomass/trash and let some super enzyme yeast effectively digest it into 20-60% ethanol, or even higher, im stuck...
That's my rationalization for driving a 40-year-old car. It's not a land yacht, I consider it a mid-size compared to something really economical. It's a VW Beetle.

As for the second point, you might want to look at Cool Planet. Biomass to 110-octane gas-o-line.

I had EFI once. The first one—the VW Type III. Eventually I couldn't source a replacement temperature sensor and it went to carbs. Big, HONKING Webers. They sounded like Gabriel's trumpet.

I look on a carburetor as an analog computer where the feedback loop is through constant hand tuning. There is a field of study called Fluidics. It involves logic circuits and amplifiers implemented in rigid chambers and moving fluids (like gas, or air ) I'd look for anti-detonation elsewhere, though. Maybe sensors in the spark plugs and put it in the ignition system.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-09-2014 at 02:02 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (04-10-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Got an SU type on my bike, old tech EFI on the 97 Ranger, new tech with two independently varaible cams in the Fiesta. With the powershift the Fiesta with AC is getting almost the same mileage as my old Echo manual with no AC.

If I had or have a carburetor it would be like the SU types on the first 240Z built in 1969. Single point of delivery like EFI, good mileage and excellent throttle response. That car taught me to keep the ball of my clutch foot on the floor, throttle response was so quick.

regards
Mech
Old 04-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #33 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
If I had or have a carburetor it would be like the SU types on the first 240Z built in 1969. Single point of delivery like EFI, good mileage and excellent throttle response.
There were also other similar carburettors such as the Stromberg CD and a few Japanese copies made by Keihin and Hitachi.

Reply  Post New Thread