Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
Best Aero Windshield Help...

Hi All,
I am looking for input from fellow Ecomodders here, for suggestions of where I can find the most Aero Windshield for my X-Car. I have included some simple 2D drawings of something like I am looking for, pretty much the most rounded DOT windshield "about" 40" wide x "about" 14" high. Larger would be OK, as I can get it cut down. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x-car windshield 1 for Ecomodder help.png
Views:	32
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	14588   Click image for larger version

Name:	x-car windshield #1 view 2 for Ecomodder.png
Views:	35
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	14589  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
That looks close to a porsche speedster windshield. Its wider, but is reasonable price wise.

Maybe someone else will chime in with another DOT, off-the-shelf unit.

I've wondered about the possibility of running a back window as a windshield before (like a 93+ F-body, corvette or Riviera), without rear defrost of course. It would be DOT, but missing the AS1 lines.

Last edited by Superfuelgero; 02-10-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
glass

The Le Mans Prototype LMP1 racers might be running something that would work.They might provide dimensions and their source.
Metalcrafters,Costa Mesa,California, has done one-off concept cars windshields of DOT Laminated Safety glass as well.They might know some sources.
Sit down when they give prices.
CFECO (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Could you use a windshield out of a plane ?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
I've wondered about the possibility of running a back window as a windshield before (like a 93+ F-body, corvette or Riviera), without rear defrost of course. It would be DOT, but missing the AS1 lines.
I think we all have thought of that . I can't remember what the final say was, but i think i remember it said here in this forum that the DOT considers that a no-no for some reason or other.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Team Honda

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Probably due to the as-1 glazing. Most other windows are as-2 which is mainly just a light transmission issue. Since AZ allows full tint, there might be a loophole or no law on point. I'll pull it up in westlaw and take a look.

§ 28-957.01. Windshields required
A. The following vehicles shall be equipped with an adequate windshield:
1. A passenger vehicle, except a motorcycle, an all-terrain vehicle and a golf cart manufactured or modified before June 17, 1998.
2. A motor truck or truck tractor, except fire trucks, fire engines or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned.
B. This section does not apply to an implement of husbandry or to an antique, classic or horseless carriage automobile if it was not originally equipped with a windshield.

Note: Law has been challenged for vagueness, but the appellate court decided on the other claims without answering.

yadda yadda on tint

§ 28-959. Safety glass required; applicability; denial or suspension of registration; definition
Currentness
A. A person shall not sell and the department shall not register a new motor vehicle as specified in this section unless the vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in doors, windows and windshields.
B. This section applies to passenger motor vehicles, other than golf carts, including passenger buses and school buses. For trucks, including truck tractors, the requirements of this section for safety glass apply to all glass used in doors, windows and windshields in the drivers' compartments of the vehicles.
C. The director shall not register a new motor vehicle unless it is equipped with an approved type of safety glass. The director shall suspend the registration of any motor vehicle that is subject to this section and that the director finds is not equipped with an approved type of safety glass. The suspension shall continue until the motor vehicle is made to conform to the requirements of this section.
D. A person shall not replace glass or glazing materials used in partitions, doors, windows, windshields or wind deflectors in a motor vehicle with a material other than safety glass.
E. For the purposes of this section, “safety glass” means a product composed of glass that is manufactured, fabricated or treated in a manner that substantially prevents shattering and flying of the glass when struck or broken and that meets applicable federal safety standards.

/\ D says yes, E leaves the door open to them denying it (not as-1).

Potential work around
§ 28-2484. License plates for historic vehicles; definition
Currentness
A. The department shall issue special license plates for a historic vehicle on application and in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department. The license plates are in lieu of the regular license plates issued by the department.
B. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to the historic vehicles shall be manufactured from Arizona copper and shall run in separate unique numerical series. The license plates shall be of a distinguishing color but different from the color selected for license plates issued under § 28-2482 or 28-2483.
C. On renewal of registration of a historic vehicle, the department shall annually issue symbols or devices as provided in § 28-2355.
D. The director shall grant the final approval of a vehicle to be licensed under this section.
E. For the purposes of this section, “historic vehicle” means any of the following:
1. A vehicle bearing a model year date of original manufacture that is twenty-five years old or older.
2. A vehicle included in a list of historic vehicles filed with the director by a recognized historic or classic vehicle organization during the month of December of each year.
3. A reconstructed vehicle that the director determines, on application by the owner, retains at least the basic original body style as manufactured twenty-five years or more before the date of the application.

Why?
§ 28-2485. Safety requirements; compliance
Currentness
Notwithstanding any other law, a motor vehicle that is eligible to be licensed under this article is in compliance with the safety requirements of the laws of this state relating to motor vehicles if the original safety equipment placed on the motor vehicle by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle is in good operating condition or if the original equipment has been replaced by equipment equal to or more efficient than the original equipment.

Since its, all safety glass its equal. Gets around Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 28-959(E) language of "applicable federal safety standards" (see id.).

The easiest way, whatever you want over a as-1 windshield. The laws only cover replacing, not doubling up. And tint type viability rules only cover "object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed or applied on the windshield ". Ariz. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 28-959.01

Last edited by Superfuelgero; 02-10-2014 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: update
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfuelgero For This Useful Post:
Cd (02-11-2014), CFECO (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reverse-Trike EV

It is possible to cut down stock windshields by masking off the excess glass area and sandblasting the cut line. Heavy duty brisket masking tape works best. This tape is used when sandblasting wooden signs. Jay Leno's "Type IV" XKE short wheelbase roadster.
The custom roadster started out life as a Jaguar Type III long wheelbase coupe. The windshield was cut down to fit the roadster profile. A rear section short wheelbase Type I roadster body was grafted onto the Type III front body section.

Last edited by Giovanni LiCalsi; 02-10-2014 at 09:31 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Giovanni LiCalsi For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-11-2014), CFECO (02-10-2014), skyking (07-16-2016)
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
CFECO

X-Car - '11 Homemade 2+2

Velbly1 - '17 Toyota Camery XSE
90 day: 29 mpg (US)

Velbly2 - '13 Toyota Tundra
90 day: 18.03 mpg (US)
The Ultima GTR from the UK has a nice windshield, price....uh who knows, but I'll check it out. There is the possibility of cutting down one of the 50's or 60's GM cars glass, as they have some wraparound, but generally only at the sides and not very rounded across the whole width. The Dodge Viper is also a possible.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni LiCalsi View Post
It is possible to cut down stock windshields by masking off the excess glass area and sandblasting the cut line. Heavy duty brisket masking tape works best. This tape is used when sandblasting wooden signs. Jay Leno's "Type IV" XKE short wheelbase roadster.
The custom roadster started out life as a Jaguar Type III long wheelbase coupe. The windshield was cut down to fit the roadster profile. A rear section short wheelbase Type I roadster body was grafted onto the Type III front body section.
I read about that. Some recommend using wet tile saws, which they say are fifty dollars or less at Home Depot, although someone recommended purchasing a new blade for each windshield. I found this video, which looks great:

For some reason, that five-minute video plays twice, instead of actually being ten minutes long.

From what I have read, there is always the risk of cracking a windshield while cutting it, and everybody says to practice on a junk windshield first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
CFECO (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Team Honda

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFECO View Post
The Ultima GTR from the UK has a nice windshield, price....uh who knows, but I'll check it out. There is the possibility of cutting down one of the 50's or 60's GM cars glass, as they have some wraparound, but generally only at the sides and not very rounded across the whole width. The Dodge Viper is also a possible.
A UK windshield won't say DOT.

Most windshields prior to 1968 probably won't either. That's when the year Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 205 (49 CFR 571.205, S6) went into effect, and codified use of ANSI/SAE Z26.1-1996 .

Viper is an option.

Fyi, if you cut the windshield, leave the DOT markings. Otherwise, what was the point?

Reply  Post New Thread