Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
AWD Efficiency <3

Steve - '99 Subaru Legacy L
Subaru
90 day: 26.8 mpg (US)

Little Red - '90 Geo Metro LSi
Best use of a Scangauge?

I've got a Scangauge(II I believe) and at the moment I've got it showing current MPG, AVG MPG, Voltage, and Coolant Temp. My vehicle doesn't have a voltmeter for the alternator and the coolant gauge works but just shows either hot or cold.

Is there a better way to utilize the other two spots in the gauge that would help me on my hypermiling journey?

The Following User Says Thank You to rlee94 For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
On my scangauge I pretty much always use:

Engine load
Coolant temp
Instant MPG
Average MPG

Engine load (LOD) tells me how fast to accelerate, and helps tell me when to coat or EOC.
Coolant temperature tells me when I can turn on heat, and when I'm installing a grill bock if I've gone too far.
Instant MPG is actually not real useful unless I'm being a bit more lazy and don't feel like doing as much P&G.
Average MPG I use to gauge how well I'm doing on a trip. The daily commute I know about where I should be at several points in the trip and I can gauge my driving.
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

On my ScanGauge E I have a tab for Voltage and Open/Closed Loop, but I don't use it often. Both LOD and LP can be useful for reminding you to get your foot out of it.

Mostly I watch Coolant Temp, Average MPG, and Instantaneous MPG. (I would watch intake temperature as well if my '96 Outback provided it.)

More broadly, I bought my SG more or less as a toy, but it has paid for itself just in scanning codes on cars among my friends and family. I don't exaggerate when I say I love this thing.

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
The Following User Says Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
AWD Efficiency <3

Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
On my scangauge I pretty much always use:

Engine load
Coolant temp
Instant MPG
Average MPG

Engine load (LOD) tells me how fast to accelerate, and helps tell me when to coat or EOC.
Coolant temperature tells me when I can turn on heat, and when I'm installing a grill bock if I've gone too far.
Instant MPG is actually not real useful unless I'm being a bit more lazy and don't feel like doing as much P&G.
Average MPG I use to gauge how well I'm doing on a trip. The daily commute I know about where I should be at several points in the trip and I can gauge my driving.
I don't do P&G so the LOD wouldn't help too much. I do plan on installing a grille block (both for the grille and bumper) soon so the Coolant Temp would definitely be good to keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
On my ScanGauge E I have a tab for Voltage and Open/Closed Loop, but I don't use it often. Both LOD and LP can be useful for reminding you to get your foot out of it.

Mostly I watch Coolant Temp, Average MPG, and Instantaneous MPG. (I would watch intake temperature as well if my '96 Outback provided it.)

More broadly, I bought my SG more or less as a toy, but it has paid for itself just in scanning codes on cars among my friends and family. I don't exaggerate when I say I love this thing.
How do you like the outback? And is it sedan or wagon? I badly want a Forester to go along with my Legacy.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee94 View Post
How do you like the outback? And is it sedan or wagon? I badly want a Forester to go along with my Legacy.
It's a wagon, and I love it for the reliability and utility. I can throw whole bicycles in the back without removing wheels!

I sought out a 1996 because that was the only year Subaru offered the Outback package, bulletproof 2.2L engine, and a 5-speed manual together. The early 2.5L was plagued with headgasket problems and starting in 1997, you couldn't get the Outback with a 2.2L anymore, at least in this country. Too bad, because 135 HP is plenty for some of us!

The downside is that the gas mileage isn't stellar. It takes mods and very careful driving to match what other cars get without even trying. I compensate by batching errands and riding my bike for short trips.

If I could go back in time and buy a brand-new 1996 EJ22 MT5 Outback when this one finally dies, I totally would.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
AWD Efficiency <3

Subaru

Quote:
It's a wagon, and I love it for the reliability and utility. I can throw whole bicycles in the back without removing wheels!

The downside is that the gas mileage isn't stellar. It takes mods and very careful driving to match what other cars get without even trying. I compensate by batching errands and riding my bike for short trips.
I've got a 99 L Wagon. My scangauge is reporting high-30s to low-40s at a steady 52mph. It's a 2.2L 4eAT. Curious if maybe the extra inch on the outback is really bringing it down that much.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
I've got a 99 L Wagon. My scangauge is reporting high-30s to low-40s at a steady 52mph. It's a 2.2L 4eAT. Curious if maybe the extra inch on the outback is really bringing it down that much.
Let's make sure we're discussing the same things. The average MPG over every tankful is what matters most to us hypermilers. Tank MPG is what I use to compare what I achieve with what others achieve in their cars.

~50 MPH on the highway with the engine fully warmed up is the sweet spot for most cars. I see instantaneous MPG in the 30s and 40s as well in those conditions, as long as I'm not facing a big headwind. Of course, I also see instantaneous MPGs in the hundreds when coasting down a hill, so it's important not to get too excited about momentary figures.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
AWD Efficiency <3

Subaru

Quote:
Let's make sure we're discussing the same things. The average MPG over every tankful is what matters most to us hypermilers. Tank MPG is what I use to compare what I achieve with what others achieve in their cars.

~50 MPH on the highway with the engine fully warmed up is the sweet spot for most cars. I see instantaneous MPG in the 30s and 40s as well in those conditions, as long as I'm not facing a big headwind. Of course, I also see instantaneous MPGs in the hundreds when coasting down a hill, so it's important not to get too excited about momentary figures.
I understand it's by the whole tank. I'm talking about trip average, though. Not the instant 'MPG' you see on the gauge, but the 'AVG'.

I'll report back on Wednesday with my tank findings. I'm hoping for somewhere in the 30's.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Quote:
I understand it's by the whole tank. I'm talking about trip average, though. Not the instant 'MPG' you see on the gauge, but the 'AVG'.

I'll report back on Wednesday with my tank findings. I'm hoping for somewhere in the 30's.
Ah, gotcha. I've come back from some highway trips at 30 +/-1 MPG, and felt pretty good about that. One thing the automatics usually have over the manuals is a taller final drive, so you're probably turning lower RPMs at highway speeds.

Good luck!

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 10-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: MPG not MPH, arg.
TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
AWD Efficiency <3

Subaru

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I've come back from some highway trips at 30 +/-1 MPH, and felt pretty good about that. One thing the automatics usually have over the manuals is a taller final drive, so you're probably turning lower RPMs at highway speeds.

Good luck!
Not sure what the final drive is in mine. 50mph is 2000 RPM in 4th with the torque converter locked in.

TDFbound (11-25-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread