Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #31 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Besides getting screwed around by NYSEG for awhile, we're just about ready to move in... just have to get the "This building was condemned" BS sorted out so they'll turn the power on... if not, I may spend my insurance check to lease a solar kit installed! LOL.

I did just (literally, 5 mins ago) make a purchase from Harbor freight amounting to $370...

It included:
A 45W solar panel kit
100w Charge controller (backordered... )
12x20 car canopy
400w/800w peak 120V inverter

Basically got it to play with, to introduce myself to this type of energy source... not alot of experience with solar stuff yet, and I'd like to learn. With all the discounts I got, and everything being on sale/clearance, I saved nearly as much as I paid for everything compared to "normal" prices, which is nice.

In the new trailer, I plan on installing the 2x4 oval LED lights that they use on large trucks/trailers. They're between $12 and $20 each, but I'll never need to replace them in my lifetime, apparently. Plus, I'll be able to run them all on a couple batteries, which can be charged by either the panels, or my car (until I remove the alternator).

The Golf, also could be a good use for 45w of solar panels to keep the starting battery charged, since it normally gets driven for 30-45 minutes, then sits parked (in the sun) for 4-6 hours.

I found a plug at work in the area where we normally park, so I might ask the boss if it's a problem if I "charge my car" by it. If they're OK with it, I may get myself a used Deep Cycle, remove the belt for the alt, and see how things go.

Lots of things are turning out lately... I hope things are starting to look up for awhile.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread