Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 12:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

convertible mods

Have a 69 convertible alfa romeo. Use it as a daily driver and wanted to optimize efficiency. Anyone use zig zag tape on a convertible? WHere does it work best? Also saw a post of undercarriage covering with aluminum mesh. Anyone think the squares/holes in the mesh could also work as a turbulator (ie is not covering them up maybe good)?

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
As for specific answers to your questions, I can't help you. However, I can say that you are a very brave man for depending on a 39 year old Italian car for transportation. Godspeed to you, sir!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas either, but I just wanted to say how jealous I am of you, the Duetto body Spider is simultaneously one of the most beautiful cars ever to grace a road, and one of the most fun-to-drive cars ever built.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundtail View Post
Have a 69 convertible alfa romeo. Use it as a daily driver and wanted to optimize efficiency. Anyone use zig zag tape on a convertible? WHere does it work best? Also saw a post of undercarriage covering with aluminum mesh. Anyone think the squares/holes in the mesh could also work as a turbulator (ie is not covering them up maybe good)?

Thanks
I believe the turbulators are positioned within an inch(25mm) of the rear edge of the roof,just before it drops off,and also on the sides as well, towards the end of the pillar.As to the screen bellypan,I'm personally not convinced that it can even work.As a permiable membrane,I do not comprehend how it could serve as a flow support mechanism.It's probably better than "nothing",but beyond that I don't know.It's light weight would suggest superior performance,however,since it has not been adopted by supercar manufacturers as Bugatti,Lamborghini,Ferrari, etc.,that it has dubious practicality.Just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all the kind words. I have to say, for 11 grand or so it's a pretty great deal. The car has been absolutely reliable over the last year (not including the winter - I store her). On the Highway she gets about 27 MPG, but I'm putting in a taller rear diferential this fall which I expect should help some. Still, wind noise on a longer trip can be a little gueling, and I was quite excited at the prospect of using the zig zag tape. I thought I should actually put it on the top of the windshield. I gotta agree that "supercar" evidence against mesh is pretty good. It just seemed easier and more durable than putting plates of plastic or aluminum.

Thanks,

I'll come up with a plan....Appreciate any further guidance.

Reply  Post New Thread