Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 145

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I do not have a lift to get a good picture of the underbody. It is very similar to a Prius, however.

I agree about the need for a full smooth pan. That is next on my list. I already own the materials to do it.

Matt

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Recumpence For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-28-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumpence View Post
I do not have a lift to get a good picture of the underbody. It is very similar to a Prius, however.

I agree about the need for a full smooth pan. That is next on my list. I already own the materials to do it.

Matt
You'll have the Royal Flush once you get to that.Then you could think about the tires themselves.
Ford's Probe-IV of 1984 had some nice candy in that department.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU
 
California98Civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Coastal Southern California
Posts: 6,297

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,373
Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,463 Posts
So nice!
__________________
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.



  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 145

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You'll have the Royal Flush once you get to that.Then you could think about the tires themselves.
Ford's Probe-IV of 1984 had some nice candy in that department.
It still is a lot of work for what will probably only be a couple MPG gain. Of course, there is so little low hanging fruit on modern hybrids that any gain is welcome.

So, are you talking about narrower tires, or about wheel spats?

Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumpence View Post
It still is a lot of work for what will probably only be a couple MPG gain. Of course, there is so little low hanging fruit on modern hybrids that any gain is welcome.

So, are you talking about narrower tires, or about wheel spats?

Matt
The 'spats' were surrounding the tires,which pushed a urethane skirt to deform it for turns at the front.
The fairings were in front of the front tires,and before and after the rears.
These are what I'd think about.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 145

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Cool.

I plan on doing full length skirts from front tires to rear tires. I plan on doing double skirts, one on the inside edge of the tires and one on the outside edge. This should be more aerodynamic than outside skirts alone if I am thinking correctly. This should eliminate the need for wheel fairings other than behind the rear wheels.

Matt
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
iveyjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Posts: 222

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Thanks: 126
Thanked 77 Times in 50 Posts


That is one fine example of workmanship.
Got me itching to do some more aero.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Earth
Posts: 145

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Thanks: 1
Thanked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I enjoy fabrication. I have a "Full" machineshop. I can build pretty much anything. The big question is return on investment as far as time and cost. I have 12 hours of fab time in this and around $60 of materials. There is no way I will see a return on my time investment. But, I am in this for the hobby aspect. Pushing for MPG gains is an adult version of playing a video game and trying to beat your high score (while gaining some fuel savings in the process).

I love hypermiling because it is the one way to increase the performance of a car while reducing the fuel cost and reducing wear and tear on the car at the same time.

Matt
  Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Recumpence For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-30-2013), Eastwood (05-11-2014), UltArc (05-12-2014), woodstock74 (03-22-2014)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
doubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recumpence View Post
Cool.

I plan on doing full length skirts from front tires to rear tires. I plan on doing double skirts, one on the inside edge of the tires and one on the outside edge. This should be more aerodynamic than outside skirts alone if I am thinking correctly. This should eliminate the need for wheel fairings other than behind the rear wheels.

Matt
basjoos did this with his AeroCivic.He's at Cd 0.17 with her.Check out the AeroCivic website if you haven't seen it already.It's a candy store for mods.

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com