Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brigid - '11 Chevrolet HHR 2LT
90 day: 0.94 mpg (US)
Need Advice Buy Tools

I decided to go beyond lurking and modifying the driver. I'm putting together a budget to allocate for tools. I have a ton of questions that I couldn't find a definitive answer searching the internet.

First, what are the the most important tools to have around other than a set of screwdrivers? What brands do you recommend?

Second, what kind of jack stands and floor jack should I buy? I'm going to be ecomodding the Honda Civic and at the very minimum, do oil changes for family cars (CR-V, Pontiac Grand Prix, and a Honda Accord). Should I buy a 3 ton floor jack or is 2 1/4 sufficient?

I appreciate your time and patience.

--mark--

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
I have been using a Harbor Freight jack and jackstands for several years now with no problems. I would suggest a good set of both standard and metric sockets and a good 3/8 driver. A long 3/8 pull handle isn't a bad investment either. A pretty good set of open end wrenches will help you out a lot too.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Add some pliers to the list. Regular, side-cutter, needle-nose, and the sliding-joint ones sometimes called water pump pliers. I probably use the last more than any other tool - and mostly in the kitchen, to open stuck jar lids :-)
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
At my house the off brand floor jacks tend to last 3-5 years, where the brand name ones tend to be 10+ years old and still working fine, problems that we have with the off brand ones (4 floor jacks total) is wheels falling off two of them, the hydraulic system leaking on one so it slowly drops the car... not good!
A basic metric socket set is good, craftsmen is nice because any sears store will replace anything that you brake if it is a hand tool, no questions asked, they just give you a new one.
I have a few flat screw drivers, but mostly use a 4 in 1 screw driver, my in car tool kit has one of those screw drivers, a basic socket set, a small pry bar, hand cleaner and half a roll of paper towels.
if you are going to do anything with suspension, engine rebuilding, wheel bearings or brake work that goes beyond pad and shoe replacement then you need to buy or rent a torque wrench, I like to use one on my lug nuts even.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 39.49 mpg (US)
Vise Grip pliers and a can of PB Blaster for the nuts and bolts that get stripped.

A good set of sockets, I second the Craftsman, they have a lifetime warranty. Regular and deep sockets are both useful, and get extensions as well for the bolts you can't get access to with the ratchet. Also, a breaker bar for the really tight ones. You can just use a section of pipe on a regular ratchet, but the ratchet will break if you push too hard.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the advice so far. I didn't think about buying extensions. I'll probably end up buying a torque wrench since it sounds like the wheel bears are wearing out at the rear of the car and the CV boot on the passenger side is torn.

When buying a floor jack, should I buy a 3 ton jack or a 2 1/4 ton jack?

With all these tools, any advice for organizing and storage?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
a 2 1/4 ton jack is plenty, thats 4500 lbs, way more than most cars (2-3k)

Since it sounds like your just jumping in a big investment in sockets isn't needed, just enough to cover the basic sized bolts ( 8mm to 21mm or 22mm, 3/8" drive ratchet, and then SAE in say 1/4" to 7/8") should cover most of your needs. I bought a small set from Walmart years ago (Popular Mechanics) and it was a real good value, for what you are doing it would save you up-front cost. If you continue you could upgrade to a bigger set later. Craftsman tools are good, but will cost you quite a bit more. Here's a good shopping list from my own experience, and the guys' input above, with what you'll probably be paying:

-2-1/4 ton jack w/ stands - $50-$80 range
-Drive-on ramps (easy oil changes) - probably $40 -$60
-Kobalt (Lowe's store brand) pliers/cutters/needlenose set - under $50 I believe.
-Kobalt slip-joint pliers (set of 3) - $30 or so
-Local hardware store brand tap and die set (get the SAE and metric combo set, like 40 pieces, around $40, great for cleaning up rusty/damaged bolts/nuts prior to reassembly)
-Kobalt or Craftsman torque wrench (for starters go with the 1/2" drive as it will do higher torque bolts, around $70)
-Socket set, as described above. The Popular Mechanics or other cheaper sets around $40 or so, Craftsman/Kobalt small sets maybe $50, larger sets can go well over $100 but come with "deep well" (long sockets) for removing nuts on longer bolts, universal swivels (to turn a bolt from an angle if you cant get straight on), and come with the 1/2" drive ratchet (much stronger/longer handle than 3/8" for suspension work). Most any sets also come with the 1/4" ratchet for small bolts/trim pieces etc. You do get what you pay for.
- pry bar - $20-$30, get a short one and a long one
- Vise grips - $15
- PB Blaster, WD-40, and plenty of both

Your list also depends on how serious you want to get with this. Oil changes and maybe screwing some aero mods on won't require a lot, just get cheaper tools and save. Engine/suspension mods will require more and better tools. And some of your tools will just be "collect as you go", just get them when you run into a project needing them, save your money til then. As far as storage, if you are going to do this once in a while in your free time just get a cheap box, Lowe's sells "Task Force" and Sears sells a real basic box too, don't pay more than $150. They are just for the occasional homeowner project. If you plan on making this a long term regular hobby (ie engine/suspension work) there are way more expensive boxes that are far better. Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to tim3058 For This Useful Post:
markemmanuel (01-02-2010)
Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aside from aero mods and oil changes, the first major project will be replacing the CV Axle on the passenger side. I discovered that the boot is torn. It hasn't made any grinding noises yet but I want to get that squared away.

I'm definitely going to start collecting the essentials and buy as I go. Thanks for the shopping list. It makes everything much easier.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
No problem, glad to help. If it's not clicking yet you might be able to put replacing it off for a while yet and save money. Also CV nuts are gonna be bigger than the listed sizes above, my Civic takes an 1-1/4" socket (it'd be metric but the SAE fits).

Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Tim's prices on some things are a little on the low side, so don't be shocked.

Buy some good rags, or a lot of paper towels. And some hand cleaner can't hurt. (those are kind of un needed, but nice.)

Reply  Post New Thread