Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
theories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
Your search shows KIA in Afghanistan. I am in the military and have yet to been told by my commanders that one of the reasons we are fighting the terrorists in Afghanistan is to protect the safe passage of oil.

We are fighting a war on terror. Don't turn this into a political argument or bring up conspiracy theories. This is a forum dedicated to saving fuel.
A look at Daniel Yergin's book,"THE PRIZE " or Chalmers Johnson's "BLOWBACK" would be insightful.Or you can talk to retired CIA Ray McGovern.
I'm a combat veteran and it's important to take a deep look at geopolitics and it's ramifications to US 'lifestyles.' Ask your commander about oil pipelines in Afghanistan and it's strategic location with respect to proven oil reserves.
I've been trying to get the US off foreign oil since 1974.It IS about fuel economy.40-years later.

Fat Charlie (02-22-2014), Frank Lee (02-22-2014), jeff88 (02-23-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
It's about fuel economy for sure, but it's also about bleeding 300 billion in net worth out of the US economy.

Just imagine if that same 300 billion was injected into our economy and banking system, producing about 3 trillion in new capital for investment, EVERY YEAR! The results would be dramatic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2014), Frank Lee (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
A look at Daniel Yergin's book,"THE PRIZE " or Chalmers Johnson's "BLOWBACK" would be insightful.Or you can talk to retired CIA Ray McGovern.
I'm a combat veteran and it's important to take a deep look at geopolitics and it's ramifications to US 'lifestyles.' Ask your commander about oil pipelines in Afghanistan and it's strategic location with respect to proven oil reserves.
I've been trying to get the US off foreign oil since 1974.It IS about fuel economy.40-years later.
Did you really think it would help to bring up a controversial topic in a forum dedicated to fuel economy? You used a Google search of dead Americans to make a point about saving a few gallons of gas. As a combat vet, you should have more respect for the fallen.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarguy01 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
They say "Truth hurts"--and it's true--especially when a husband hesitates while answering the "...does this make me look fat..." question (ha,ha).
It doesn't help that his life flashes before his eyes.

Woah, guys, I recently started a thread on here that I asked the moderators to close because it was political and I could not control it. I received some very good information for an assignment, but it caused problems.

A very small part of me died in Afghanistan and I think that part of it was that my two best ways to cope with being deployed were Facebook and World of Warcraft. I honestly wish that I had discovered this site much earlier, like back when I was in Germany, without a car, and especially while I was deployed, where ecomodding might have seemed completely irrelevant. There are wonderful and intelligent people on here that are always willing to help, especially if the help that you need most is some smack-o-sense.

I will point out this: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...dle-28035.html My professor of Energy in the Global Arena shared that and the class deals with geopolitics.

I know that I ramble and am often irrelevant. I make stupid jokes and I waste everybody's time. I apologize. Right now, I kind of feel like I am trying to have the last word in someone else's argument.

I do not know that we have been able to help Usmclowrider, but I hope that he understands that we sympathize with him.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
It would be really, really nice if that was the last word in the argument.

Back to fuel economy, please!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (02-23-2014), sarguy01 (02-22-2014), Xist (02-23-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #56 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Quote:
This isn't just a wife thing though. I know plenty of men that get in and drive, with no care in the world when it comes to saving fuel. For various reasons, they don't want to put in the effort, or maybe they have some other issue that keeps them from focusing on driving for mileage. Like a nervous driver maybe??

Welcome to the forum!
My wife has fussed at me repeatedly about the speeds I drive, and how my truck drinks so much fuel. So that prompted my quest for better fuel economy.
I've now plastered various plastic things onto the truck over the years, which drew (multiple) complaints from her about appearance. So, when I told her she used to complain about how much fuel the truck drank, that started me working to reduce it. Now, with the changes I made, it gets better mileage and she complains about the appearance. I asked her what do you want? She said she didn't know what to say...

On the topic of the Prius and other hybrids, it still amazes me how many of those I see speed by me on the Interstates, as I cruise along in the RAM at 65-70mph. The Prius really isn't designed to scream along at 80mph...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Reminds me...

Bob was in trouble. He forgot his wedding anniversary. His wife was
really peeved.

She told him, "Tomorrow morning I expect to find a gift in the
driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds AND IT BETTER BE THERE!!"

The next morning he got up early and left for work. When his wife woke
up, she looked out the window and sure enough there was a box
gift-wrapped in the middle of the driveway.

Confused, the wife put on her robe and ran out to the driveway and brought
the box back in the house.

She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Bob has been missing since last Friday.
My boss, shortly before he married his wife, heard this from his soon to be father-in-law "Son, don't ever cheat on a woman that knows how to cut the balls off of a farm animal."
Old 02-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Your search shows KIA in Afghanistan. I am in the military and have yet to been told by my commanders that one of the reasons we are fighting the terrorists in Afghanistan is to protect the safe passage of oil.
I've got a GWOT-E myself, back from before they had an Iraq campaign ribbon. Are you still so young that things you have yet to be told by your commanders don't actually exist? I was over there with guys who had been there in 90-91 and hadn't actually thought about why they were there- either time.

Fighting (killing, capturing, whatever) terrorists requires doing certain things. Getting pipeline contracts and other monies assigned to the right people requires doing other things. Before waving the flag, it's a good idea to ask why you're in that country with our flag in the first place. And your commanders aren't going to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2014), Daschicken (02-16-2018), Frank Lee (02-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I've got a GWOT-E myself, back from before they had an Iraq campaign ribbon. Are you still so young that things you have yet to be told by your commanders don't actually exist? I was over there with guys who had been there in 90-91 and hadn't actually thought about why they were there- either time.

Fighting (killing, capturing, whatever) terrorists requires doing certain things. Getting pipeline contracts and other monies assigned to the right people requires doing other things. Before waving the flag, it's a good idea to ask why you're in that country with our flag in the first place. And your commanders aren't going to tell you.
I am not debating anything nor am I going to discuss anything remotely related to this topic here.

My point was, and still is, don't use American KIA's to prove a controversial point in a thread about fuel economy.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #59 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
They didn't mind being used...

Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #60 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
RedPoint, utilities are included in my rent and my roommates are always leaving lights on. One is almost never in his room, he spends as much time in the front room as I spend in my bedroom, he even usually sleeps out there, but he always has lights on in his room. It seems like whenever I leave my room, every light in the public area is lit, but there often isn't anyone there, or they are in the living room, but the lights are on in the dining room and kitchen. After several months of me turning off the porch light and trying to remember to turn it on, my roommate complained about walking up in the dark, so I have left it on, so far, but I just looked into it. I do not like my options too much. Phillips makes fluorescent bulbs with built-in light sensors for $8 and G.E. makes screw-in sensors for $12.
My roommates would turn every single light on too. I replaced the light bulbs in their rooms and common areas with CFLs. Then I installed a sensor switch in the hallway that turns on automatically only when it's dark and someone is walking by. It then turns off. The outside lights were being left on, so I put them on a timer switch that adjusts on/off time based on sunrise/sunset times. The bathroom fan is on a timer switch. Finally, the thermostat is on a program, and is locked out from adjustment.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread