Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
You could ban all advertisements as far as I am concerned

Christ (10-29-2009)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2009, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post
Unfortunately...

Here, I'd say most people do not have the same relation with "freedom" some people in the states seem to have. In fact I'd say that from most of the rights the Framers gave you. We feel we have all the rights we need to the extend we accept as a society, and we make individual sacrifices for the greater good of the society.

This is mostly true, although I think most Americans would argue that the Framers did not "give" us rights. The U.S. Constitution assumes that power and rights reside in the people, and certain powers have been granted to the government. If memory serves, the various British North America Acts/Constitution Act begin with the assumption that power originates in the crown, and that powers and rights are granted thereby to the Provinces and the people. That is a big philosophical difference.

Which isn't to bash the Canadian system of government - obviously it works - but I think it is also why Americans, as a whole, are generally less compromising on the trade off of individual rights vs collective safety than Canadians are.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
Until americans can demonstrate the ability to act in a responsable manner in the first place, I am going to have to lean ever so slightly to the direction of accepting this type of limitation on advertisements.

In an era of personal responsability and self-awareness of oneself and the actions one takes, I would be 100% against this. but my faith in the bulk average of americans has been shaken by events over the last several months. To many people fail to "Don't believe everything you hear" and "don't try this at home" basic common sence.

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Old 10-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...there will always be idiots.

...likewise there will always be idiotic laws.

...which were mandated by idiots.

...because, most governments rule by simple majority (here, simple is a euphamism for idiot)

...does this (above) mean I'm anti-government? Hell no, just anti-idiots where more chlorine is obviously needed in the "gene pool"!
Old 10-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
A madman

Pequod - '17 Subaru Outback
90 day: 22.79 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to brucey
Why don't you just go ahead and ban action shows for depicting the same thing?

Or how about banning comedic politically incorrect ads for promoting politically incorrectness?

Or ban any television or movie that shows jaywalking? Most of them do.

Why don't we ban alcohol/beer commercials for promoting drinking?

Or ban McDonald ads for promoting eating unhealthy foods?

Guys, I'm sorry. That is lame. People have to learn responsibility, and if you round off every corner they're not going to know what to do when they find a sharp one.

Stopping car commercials from showing 'unsafe' driving will do nothing to stop unsafe driving. Teaching the drivers themselves to be responsible will.

Last edited by brucey; 10-30-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Look, commercials suck, these aren't individuals here who are being supressed, it is large influential companies who take your money and use it to figure out how to get more of your money, and shape public opinion with commercials and other campaigns.

What is the glitch here, I just don't get the corporate sycophant point of view I guess. I don't think only consumers should get a say in what all of society is subjected to.