Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloop View Post
Here is a simulation for a brushless hub motor in a motorcycle. It should give a better representation of efficiency as it relates to speed.

The black line represents efficiency. Notice the bump and subsequent drop as the vehicle approaches top speed. This coincides with the steady state curve I showed earlier. It seems that efficiency is greatest just before top speed in this simulation. It also shows that efficiency is about 20% lower at half of the top speed, and over 40% lower at a quarter speed. All of this supports the need for a multi speed transmission. It also makes me think more that Brammo might not have made a mistake in their design. Maybe the reviewers simply didn't understand the proper use of the transmission as it relates to extending range aka increasing efficiency.
You are interpreting the graph slightly wrong. This is from ebikes.ca, right? You are not at 60% efficiency at half of top speed. You need to adjust the throttle setting to 50%, then you will see an efficiency of about 3-5% lower than peak, likely.

It is true that you are at lower efficiency when the motor is spinning slower, especially at the very low speed end, but the difference is not as great as you say.

It all has to with load and throttle position. If you spend enough time riding an EV and watching the watt meter, you will see that the throttle technique can change your efficiency a fair bit, depending on load and terrain and change in speed. Riding WOT, especially on an EV with good power output, with indeed kill your efficiency.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I've been super busy lately.
The handlebars are the stock ones just positioned very low. I'd like to get adjustable clip ons so I can have them angled down a bit more, and narrower, but haven't been able to get them yet. I did get the fairing mounted on the front, although it's pretty rough yet. I will be working on finishing that in the next couple weeks. I will also try mounting the tail off my last bike to see if I can avoid having to start completely from scratch.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bschloop For This Useful Post:
gil (07-11-2015), Grant-53 (07-11-2015), jkv357 (07-12-2015), renault_megane_dci (07-12-2015), sendler (07-14-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Looks like a good shape. I just bought some nichrome wire to cut my styrofoam for my mold making. Just apply about 1watt per inch for 26awg to heat it up. So 16watt power supply for a 16" nichrome "saw" should slice right through it like warm butter!

Good to see others taking a stab at a full front fairing like Craig Vetter's.

Reply  Post New Thread