Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Eh, we make a big deal out of security updates, but people don't get "hacked" because they were running an old version of software, but because they responded to phishing, or some other human level attack.
People get hacked and they get phished. I agree that the human is the weakest link in the security chain but that don't mean electronic hacking doesn't happen. If people didn't get hacked there would be no reason to do security updates.

Keeping phone up to date seems like cheap insurance to me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Hacked , Security, personal data

Quote:
Eh, we make a big deal out of security updates, but people don't get "hacked" because they were running an old version of software, but because they responded to phishing, or some other human level attack.
FYI
TIK TOK and WECHAT are known China CCP parasitic personal data applications. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google, and Apple sell personal data via "algorithm " . Estimated minimum over half of USA population personal data is known and tracked by China CCP. .Although Apple past advertised claim of "security" has dwindle and was weak at launch.

China CCP manipulation, bribery, and subjugation of much of Africa and Latin American cellphone markets. The reality of Huwaei is that market displacement aka they control towers, servers, and personal data mine from cellphones
Old 11-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
I’ve been happy with Pixel phones. They utilize both Sprint and T-mobile on Google Fi. They can work with any network. You can get a used one for ~$100.
I too like the Pixel phones. If I were in the market for a phone now, I'd probably opt for one of the "a" models, maybe a 3a if I could find a killer deal.

I had Republic Wireless for a while. Hard to beat $10 a month for unlimited talk and text. I switched over to Fi when I lived somewhere I couldn't get reasonable Sprint reception (and lived close to the Canadian border) and found what I paid extra every month ($30 and some change for ~1gb of data) to generally be worth the improved service. I recently switched again to Mint mobile. I have some problems with MMS which can probably be resolved, but otherwise feel pretty good about 3GB of data per month and unlimited talk + text for $15 / month on T-Mobile's network.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
For sure AT&T is horrible
Do tell.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm considering JSH's recommendation of upfront yearly prepaid. But I don't like financially supporting the big corporations. I'll only want usage of AT&T' s network for moving my junk out of the foothills, so maybe I'll go with a smaller company's monthly prepaid.

Another alternative I'd consider is a company that donates to good (green, justice) causes.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
I'm considering JSH's recommendation of upfront yearly prepaid. But I don't like financially supporting the big corporations. I'll only want usage of AT&T' s network for moving my junk out of the foothills, so maybe I'll go with a smaller company's monthly prepaid.

Another alternative I'd consider is a company that donates to good (green, justice) causes.

A lot of the "smaller companies" are just different brands of the big guys. You mentioned Cricket in your OP. Cricket is a fully owned subsidiary of AT&T.

Boost and Ting are owned by Dish Network (Boost used to be owned by Spring but was sold as part of the merger with T-Mobile)
MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile
Spectrum is owned by Charter
Xfinity is owned by Comcast

Then there are the whole host of pre-paid companies owned by TracFone - which is owned by American Movil - which is owned by the multibillionaire Carlos Slim. Off the top of my head those are Pageplus, Net10, TracFone, Straight Talk, and Walmart's prepaid.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton
Hacked , Security, personal data
I've had to consider when/if a cell phone becomes unavoidable. My thinking was the Pinephone64. https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/

Quote:
An Open Source Smart Phone Supported by All Major Linux Phone Projects

Perhaps you’re in a line of work where security is a must, or a hard-core Linux enthusiast, or perhaps you’ve just got enough of Android and iOS and you’re ready for something else – the PinePhone may be the next Phone for you. Powered by the same Quad-Core ARM Cortex A53 64-Bit SOC used in our popular PINE A64 Single Board Computer, the PinePhone runs mainline Linux as well as anything else you’ll get it to run.

SPECIFICATIONS
Allwinner A64 Quad Core SoC with Mali 400 MP2 GPU
2GB of LPDDR3 RAM
5.95″ LCD 1440×720, 18:9 aspect ratio (hardened glass)
Bootable Micro SD
16GB eMMC
HD Digital Video Out
USB Type C (Power, Data and Video Out)
Quectel EG-25G with worldwide bands
WiFi: 802.11 b/g/n, single-band, hotspot capable
Bluetooth: 4.0, A2DP
GNSS: GPS, GPS-A, GLONASS
Vibrator
RGB status LED
Selfie and Main camera (2/5Mpx respectively)
However, I understand that the source for the hardware is Hong Kong. Which is now compromised. So until the supply chain is sorted, things like Bitcoin will have to wait.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
A lot of the "smaller companies" are just different brands of the big guys. You mentioned Cricket in your OP. Cricket is a fully owned subsidiary of AT&T.

Boost and Ting are owned by Dish Network (Boost used to be owned by Spring but was sold as part of the merger with T-Mobile)
MetroPCS is owned by T-Mobile
Spectrum is owned by Charter
Xfinity is owned by Comcast

Then there are the whole host of pre-paid companies owned by TracFone - which is owned by American Movil - which is owned by the multibillionaire Carlos Slim. Off the top of my head those are Pageplus, Net10, TracFone, Straight Talk, and Walmart's prepaid.
I did see that Cricket was bought by AT&T.

Hmmm.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
Another alternative is to save as much money you can, then spend that on whatever charitable causes you want.

I automatically avoid businesses that donate to causes because that means they could have saved me money, allowing me to invest that money however I see fit.

"Green" causes are almost exclusively in vain because things like oil consumption (consumption in general) is nearly entirely locked to wealth. The way to get large numbers of people to be more green is just to make them less wealthy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maybe there should be a dedicated thread for all of the conspiracy theory and similar comments instead of the conspiracy theory comments being in several threads? Or better yet, take it to another website.

Reply  Post New Thread