Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Jalilah - '07 Chevrolet Cobalt LT
90 day: 40.57 mpg (US)
I wonder if adding a spoiler would increase aerodynamics on my car? Or at least one that looked like the one on this car?

Hrm, food for thought.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Not wearing pants

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrio. View Post
I think than a quote the air travel from the side car on the top of car, and then the roof rail can help this travel .

Not, I do not are amazed, only, I whont to know if my think is it correctly!

thanks for answer, you are helpming me, to correct my English

Fabrio,

If I understand what you are saying, I think you are correct in thinking that the vertical pieces that extend from the front to rear on the roof are to keep the air that is on top of the roof from spilling over off the sides, and to keep the air that is on the sides from intruding onto the roof area. I believe that these pieces work similarly to sideskirts on race cars used to keep the low pressure area under a car from pulling in air from the sides.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

If I understand the discussion, the question is about the vertical fences or wing fences on the hood and/or roof line, much similar function to strakes on underflow diffusers. On racecar/Bonneville Speed week cars the small wing fences contain 3D/circulating vortices, different flows and pressures from different areas on the vehicle's form and must retain all important steady tire grip & useful downforce. On the other handling performance spectrum, like WRC vehicles, where the vertical fences incorporated on their rear wings were so effective that they banned it. The rear wing fences again contain the large sideway lateral air from flowing through the chord of the wing & the fences keep the downforce steady than losing its grip especially on wild turning drifts. Standard road vehicles face strong side winds and sudden turbulences from large transport vehicles and such fences could be detrimental and upset handling safety.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrio. View Post
I think than a quote the air travel from the side car on the top of car, and then the roof rail can help this travel .

Not, I do not are amazed, only, I whont to know if my think is it correctly!

thanks for answer, you are helpming me, to correct my English
fabrio,I think you may be reading more into the fences than their utility would deserve.I think Cd offers the correct answer,that the fence is there to trip the air and spoil lift should the car get sideways.If you've watched footage of NASCAR you may have seen some of the cars fly below 200-mph.------------ At Bonneville,where velocities are even greater,and potential collision forces rising with the square of the velocity,it's even more important to keep the racecars on the ground.---------- Next to fire,the barrel-roll accident is the most lethal.Cars and motorcycles when airborne can turn sideways,and if landing sideways,can undergo barrel-rolls of such severity,that they are fatal to the drivers.-------- The parachutes on the vehicles are not only for aid while decelerating,they are also the first line of defense,should the vehicle loose traction and begin to go sideways,helping the vehicle to remain straight on course,reducing risk of flight.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

What about the fencing on the hood of the BMW 3.0 CSL?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not wearing pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
What about the fencing on these Sports 2000s?

Picasa Web Albums - MOTOSPORTA - EFM Racing - ...

Picasa Web Albums - MOTOSPORTA - EFM Racing - ...

Picasa Web Albums - MOTOSPORTA - EFM Racing - ... (these are huge!)
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionmovement View Post
I did a GOOGLE Image search for the 3.0 CSL and would presume that the fences at the leading edge of the front fenders are also for safety as in NASCAR.They're tall enough to spoil lift,but not so tall as to overcome the pressure on the endplates of the rear spoiler and allow the car to swap ends if pushed sideways on the track.

Reply  Post New Thread