Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
You all make good points, and I enjoy discussing these things with you. Personally, I don't believe the government should subsidize anything, but I am old fashioned like that I guess. We can only hope that some kind of new technology will develop that takes us away from gasoline for good.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
First things first, this is my first post ever. I have my asbestos underware on for the responses...

@ cbaber -- your first post in this thread showed your views, you dont like the Volt.
Thats ok, its your opinion. Oh, and I dont like the goverment "helping" the industry either.

@ Everybody --Every car companies has failures, thats how they get better.

I like Chevy, my first new vehicle was an 1987 S-10.

I like Hondas too, my last new vehicle was a 2011 Honda Cr-Z
(which I dont have now, long story, I miss the mileage / fun)

I personally am interested in the Volt and the Cadillac ELR (good looking in my opinion) and the Leaf, which wont carry me all the way to work and back (dang it), etc etc, etc. They are all making progress though. We are here to help each other get better mileage and eventually better use of wattage or whatever is the next form of energy we use.

I personally see the need to change on a daily basis, I drive a truck for a living, I burn 80 to 100 gallons of fuel a day. Thats approx. 640 TO 800 POUNDS of fuel burned and spent into the atmosphere each day . I am one truck driver of how many around this planet?

My company uses very new equipment, very clean burning equipment. But we still need to find better ways of delivering everything. And before someone says get another job think about everything around you. It came on a truck. Your breakfast, the eggs, toast, meat.. All delivered by truck as you slept. Your clothes, your desk, everything, anything you touch TODAY.

So as I drive and burn lots of fuel everyday I ponder ways to change the basic world around me. If the ALL trucks stopped right now in just a few days people would be running out of the basics for living, just food would cause life threatening fights. How do we get around this?

So the Volt isnt your cup of tea, ok, but its a step in the right direction for a large company (that should be shot for scrapping the EV-1/eS-10). And its a step we really need to take. Once all of this starts really taking hold in the automotive world I hope it trickles down to the semi trucks.

Sorry to hijack the thread but I feel strongly about this and I hope I shed some perspective on the problem facing the entire world, not just each one of us and our individual likes and dislikes. Thanks for your attention.

Now about the Volt, do you think the Cadillac ELR is a redressed Volt? Who knows anything about it? I just saw it for the first time this morning...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site Marc. Good first post.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Marc -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F. View Post

Now about the Volt, do you think the Cadillac ELR is a redressed Volt? Who knows anything about it? I just saw it for the first time this morning...
Welcome to EM! I like the ELR looks too. Cadillac had originally planned a Volt-based model and it looks like this is it :

GM Announces The Next Volt, The Cadillac ELR | TechCrunch
Quote:
GM makes money from platforms, not just cars. With that thought, Cadillac just announced the ELR Coupe, a sleek sportster built on the Voltec platform that also powers the Volt. The dual-powertrain Caddy has been rumored ever since a concept (pictured here) was shown off at the 2009 North American International Auto Show. Well, friends, it's on.

The ELR will use the same version of the Voltec that powers the Volt including the same four-cylinder 1.4L generator. This makes the ELR sound nothing more than a reskinned Volt instead of the tuned electric roadster worth of that sexy sheet metal. Nothing says American sports coupe like a 0-to-60 time in eight and half seconds.
CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
Hello,

I have haunted the forum even before I signed on.

I just came in from the chores and had time to do a search on the ELR. Yup its a Volt under that slick skin. But Cadillac generally does more than just reskin em.

Does the Caddy or the Volt have a better drag coeff. ? Any body find numbers yet.
Still beginning my research and I only have limited time on the web. I wont see a response till saturday this week and its wed. now.

ttyl
Marc
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F. View Post
Hello,

I have haunted the forum even before I signed on.

I just came in from the chores and had time to do a search on the ELR. Yup its a Volt under that slick skin. But Cadillac generally does more than just reskin em.

Does the Caddy or the Volt have a better drag coeff. ? Any body find numbers yet.
Still beginning my research and I only have limited time on the web. I wont see a response till saturday this week and its wed. now.

ttyl
Marc
Hello Marc F.,
And welcome!
I don't know anything specific about the ELR, but I'm intrigued by what they've done to the rear view mirrors.

-mort
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elr_mirror.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	10309  
Old 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I believe the Volts' Cd is 0.29, just slightly better than the Cruze (standard = 0.32, Eco = 0.30).

Reply  Post New Thread