Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic upper grill block questions

Fellow civic owners, do most of you block the upper grill area completely or leave a portion or leave a portion open for the radiator? I've been debating if I should block it completely or partially due to the high temps here in Texas?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
I don't have a civic but I've seen both on here, from your other thread I saw you have a scangauge II and scangauge E so you could always do some testing to see what you're comfortable with. I recommend trying out a full block just to see. That will give you the biggest gains so it's worth a shot.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
My upper block is a complete block. The lower is a little less than half, with the passenger side open. The rad on the passenger side is your cooling radiator. The one in the middle is the A/C radiator. I also ducted the remaining opening to the rad so the air that does get in must go through the cooling radiator. My fan does not come on very often since I did this version. But on long steep hills, the car will get hot enough to turn on the rad fan every time. The fan takes care of it. Brings me right down to normal operating temps.

Your stock t-stat begins to open in the 170s F. It is fully open by the 190s. My car will move between 194 and 199 when fully warm and driving on the freeway or something on a HOT day. If it goes as high at 206 generally the fan comes on right away.

Hope that's helpful to you...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
My upper block is a complete block. The lower is a little less than half, with the passenger side open. The rad on the passenger side is your cooling radiator. The one in the middle is the A/C radiator. I also ducted the remaining opening to the rad so the air that does get in must go through the cooling radiator. My fan does not come on very often since I did this version. But on long steep hills, the car will get hot enough to turn on the rad fan every time. The fan takes care of it. Brings me right down to normal operating temps.

Your stock t-stat begins to open in the 170s F. It is fully open by the 190s. My car will move between 194 and 199 when fully warm and driving on the freeway or something on a HOT day. If it goes as high at 206 generally the fan comes on right away.

Hope that's helpful to you...
He will not get away with even 50% lower grill block, I can block 100% upper, but lower I only had about a 25% and it got 107F out here and my engine still over-heated (235F). He can try the ducting idea, I didn't do that.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
He will not get away with even 50% lower grill block, I can block 100% upper, but lower I only had about a 25% and it got 107F out here and my engine still over-heated (235F). He can try the ducting idea, I didn't do that.
Agreed. By "less than half" I mean it's mostly open. Maybe 60% open, 40% blocked, and the open part is ducted to the rad.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Id do the lower as some hondas use the upper grill for a CAI like to route cool air to the cars cpu and engine intake.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
upper grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
Fellow civic owners, do most of you block the upper grill area completely or leave a portion or leave a portion open for the radiator? I've been debating if I should block it completely or partially due to the high temps here in Texas?
I wanted full flow to as much radiator as I could get,so I left the nose intact and created a new nose over it and a little further forward which had a reduced entry into an airtight duct which fed everything internally.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
To answer the original question, yeah a full upper grill block shouldn't be an issue at all. If you want to start blocking off more than that, you'll have to watch that SG.