Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I mean come on... they grip so well that instead of sliding, they FLIP RIGHT OVER!
Disclaimer: Please do not take this post seriously.[/QUOTE]

I keep reading with agitation and wanting to respond with physics lessons - only to find its a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
LOL - Sorry, friend. I should have made it more obvious that I was just responding to the previous sarcasm.. I'll fix it!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #43 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel
Driving a motorcycle in accordance with america's traffic laws endangers no-one but the person who chooses to ride the motorcycle, who as an adult can decide to travel on such a form of vehicle.

Huh?
Sure looks like a Peugot to me!

(Does that nullify the image as a response to driving according to American laws? )
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'm sure there has to be something in those laws about not running into other vehicles :-)
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
To put it plainly the newer Honda sucks more, it just does it faster.

And kudos for the overall safety and not just safety in a collision. Politicians may use SUVs but those ones are modified armored vehicles compared to the civilian models. An APC is safer but it's less practical and luxurious to ride in. The same theory goes for armor as for vehicle size, there's always a bigger munition load out.

I prefer the barebones models. Manual everything, rubber interior, stock HP, spaceframe chassis. Road carver all the way. Manual adjustable suspension for passengers.

Last edited by Allch Chcar; 06-23-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99LeCouch View Post
Same thing on the roads. Give people a "safer", more tank-like automobile. They'll still figure out some way of killing themselves in it. It's just going to take dumber driving.
I wish I could remember where I read this, but evidently if you check over the statistics our "safer cars" don't actually seem to have changed the fatality rates (per mile traveled). Not once you factor speeds and a few other things out of it. The theory espoused in the (article? book?) I was reading was that this was due to people driving to a "level of perceived risk".

So today's cars, with crumple zones and power disk ABS brakes and airbags and so on simply make people "push harder", leave less room to react, and so on. Which fits with my own (very unscientific!) observations pretty well.

-soD
Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
I wish I could remember where I read this, but evidently if you check over the statistics our "safer cars" don't actually seem to have changed the fatality rates (per mile traveled). Not once you factor speeds and a few other things out of it. The theory espoused in the (article? book?) I was reading was that this was due to people driving to a "level of perceived risk".

So today's cars, with crumple zones and power disk ABS brakes and airbags and so on simply make people "push harder", leave less room to react, and so on. Which fits with my own (very unscientific!) observations pretty well.

-soD

werd, I know my girlie drives her quiet, isolating, no road feedback TL a hell of a lot faster than I feel comfortable with - when she was driving my old Trooper she drove it slow and carefully even though it was nowhere near stock and absolutely not the handling disaster that stock Troopers are.

People drive as fast as they feel safe driving, regardless of the speed limit or the road conditions. If you completely isolate them from the sensation of speed, they will continue accelerating until they feel like they're going somewhere. I think electric, or non-internal combustion cars will only increase this behavior.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
About the picture. The car's driver probably felt they had the right-of-way and failed to yield it to the motorcycle. A motorcycle doesn't just run into a car at high speed for no reason. Unless the driver of the motorcycle was street racing. Darn kids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
werd, I know my girlie drives her quiet, isolating, no road feedback TL a hell of a lot faster than I feel comfortable with - when she was driving my old Trooper she drove it slow and carefully even though it was nowhere near stock and absolutely not the handling disaster that stock Troopers are.
Maybe we should install big metal spikes in the middle of every steering wheel. You know, to get people to slow down. LOL

Last edited by tjts1; 06-23-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
Victim blaming?
There's no way to know who was at fault. The driver of either vehicle could be the victim.

Metal spikes in the steering wheels sounds like a very very good idea.
I bet it won't catch on though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Reply  Post New Thread